PDA

View Full Version : 9mm reloading question

marada
12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
hello,
im new to loading 9mm lead cast bullets.im trying to load lyman 356637 147 gr bullet.im using lyman manual for data.data calls for brass to be trimmed to .750 after sizing.im wanting to use 3grns of 700x powder,but it does not look like i have enough room as far as case capacity when u seat the bullet to OAL specs which is 1.058".im concerned of dangerous pressure. is anyone familiar with this particular load.any help will be appreciated.
thanks, marada

HeavyMetal
12-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm thinking your seating these a little "short"!

I have a federal factory load on my desk in front of me and it measures 1.095 OAL.

This is a 115 gr boolit but I think you get the idea. I have never been a fan of heavy boolits in the 9mm and your issue with seating depth is one of many reasons why.

Interestingly the Lyman cast bullet manual does not list loads for this mold, I wonder why?

It shows a 121 gr TC loaded to 1.110 OAL.

So my suggestion with this mold is use both the magazine and the barrel as "gauges" to determine the longest OAL that will work in the chamber and magazine.

So make up a dummy round or two with no live primer or powder and adjust the OAL until it feeds and chambers! I will suggest 1.130 as a starting point.

At that point you can figure out the remaining case capacity and make a call on which powder you can fit into the remaining space.

Let us know how this works out and welcome aboard!

homefront
12-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I'll be interested in this one - if not for 2 crazy days ahead I"d do it now and post my findings. Let's see who gets to it first.

fecmech
12-22-2008, 03:53 PM
That Lyman bullet does not carry a lot of taper on the front and if you have a short throat you may need to seat it at lymans recommendation. That is where I had to seat it to chamber in my Hipower. Got rid of the mold as it did not feed very well and was a general pain.

marada
12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
i tryed some of the same bullets over the weekend using 2.8 grns of bullseye , seated to the same OAL 1.058 seamed to work fine.didnt shoot but 26 rounds.it was very windy and bitter cold. feed great and seemed to be very accurate. maybe i will try some with the 700x and seat the bullet not as deep.

Calehedron
12-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I just shot a mess of the same bullet this weekend in my TZ75. I used 4.5gr of PowerPistol, CCI SP Magnum (all Sportsmans Warehouse had in stock) and seated to 1.080". Chambered and shot real well at 1020fps avg on the Chrony.