PDA

View Full Version : Success!!

jonp
01-30-2021, 05:10 PM
After my total fail on the first attempt using Harbor Freight powder a good member here PM'd me and offered a sampling of several and some plastic bb's if I would only pay the shipping. Of course I jumped on it and am happy to report success. Here is an 8mm I cast some time ago for my Yugo covered in a mix of green and white. Thanks to the member that helped me out. Yes, it's Girl Scout Cookie time.

jonp
01-30-2021, 05:57 PM
Next step will be to try the HB powder with the plastic bb's and see what happens.

Hossfly
01-30-2021, 06:03 PM
Congratulations, I also started off with HF and it did ok with the red but not really what i wanted, still have black white and i think yellow. Just use them now in a salt shaker type container to accent certain boolits like for different amounts of FPS in same type boolits. Got powder from Eastwood, and Smoke here and every one of those work perfectly well. Once you get use to the process its very easy. Yours look very good.

Joel Chavez
01-30-2021, 07:47 PM
After my total fail on the first attempt using Harbor Freight powder a good member here PM'd me and offered a sampling of several and some plastic bb's if I would only pay the shipping. Of course I jumped on it and am happy to report success. Here is an 8mm I cast some time ago for my Yugo covered in a mix of green and white. Thanks to the member that helped me out. Yes, it's Girl Scout Cookie time.

Did you use the black plastic Airsoft BBs? How did you tumble them?

jonp
01-30-2021, 09:02 PM
Black plastic Airsoft and a Rubbermaid #5 bowl shaking 10 min or so for coverage baked for 25min or so at 400.

Joel Chavez
01-30-2021, 09:10 PM
Black plastic Airsoft and a Rubbermaid #5 bowl shaking 10 min or so for coverage baked for 25min or so at 400.

I wonder if it would be more advantageous to use a vibrating tumbler instead of shaking/tumbling by hand......?

AndyC
01-31-2021, 01:57 AM
That's what I do - I don't have the time/patience to shake stuff, so I shove it all into a #5 tub and stick it into the vibratory tumbler for 5 mins.

https://i.imgur.com/ISUUZNy.jpg

Conditor22
02-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Looking good jon, love the color blend.

I don't think you need to shake that long, I don't shake at all I only swirl the PC'd boolits and it usually takes between 15-30 seconds.

less than 12 boolits at a time can be problematic in building up enough static. (as can too much PC.)

I also started with HF red, I put 100 boolits and a teaspoon or 2 of powder in a zipper bag and stuck them in my vibratory cleaner for a few minutes.

I ended up doubling up the bags because after a few batches they wear through.

#5 plastic screw-top containers are much more durable :), I used bags because I didn't have screw-top containers then :(

I never used BB's or Polly pellets when using the tumbler.

some folks just fill a clean tumbler with boolits, toss some PC on the top and let it go until all are coated (you may need to add more PC to get them all coated. works for big batches)

slide
02-03-2021, 03:55 PM
Myself and AndyC have been working together on the vibratory tumble and bottles. You can see the bottles he uses. I use empty powder bottles. Lay them on their sides and they will turn very slowly while vibrating. Both of us agree that we get a better coating this way. Some of you try it and see what you think. We call it the vtb method.(vibratory tumbler bottles). I am sure that there are a lot of spinoffs of this method. The bag works good but they always busted on me,maybe I didn't buy good bags. I sure don't like having a tumbler full of powder to clean out.

kungfustyle
02-03-2021, 05:35 PM
I wonder if it would be more advantageous to use a vibrating tumbler instead of shaking/tumbling by hand......?

For me it was a stellar success. My tumbler is now converted to pc boolits. Get a wire mesh roll from one of the box stores to make a basket or two to bake the with. Works great.

AndyC
02-03-2021, 08:23 PM
The bags would be convenient if they don't break - I just use those soup containers because they are #5 and they fit. Heck, whatever works