PDA

View Full Version : Lee Load Master

Joel Chavez
01-29-2021, 01:00 AM
So I've been reloading for nearyly 20yrs now and never had a progressive press. About the closest thing to one that I've used was a Lee 3-hole turret without auto indexing. I bought a gently used Lee Load Master for $60 shipped for a forum member on Texas Bowhunters. Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding the press? The press is complete minus the dies, which I have now. Thanks in advance.

Rcmaveric
01-29-2021, 07:55 AM
There are some one really good YouTube video about cleaning, lubing, and adjusting.

https://leeprecision.com/load-master-help-videos.html

Like lots of you tube videos. Once you get it set up, adjusted and tweaked l. I find it pretty reliable. Only problems is the primers sometimes get cocked. I put in a borsnake usb cam to watch the primers. That way if one gets messed up I can just pull it before its gets charged. Funny it rarely happens now that I watch it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

pastera
01-29-2021, 08:27 AM
If you don't have the newest version of the priming system, call Lee and get the newest. If you aren't certain, give them a call and they will walk you through

Adjust the carrier - you don't need a lot of torque on the bolt. It will deform the carrier if you over do it. You do want it to be able to move if something jams.

Then adjust the indexer so that there is a very small amount of play in the shell plate - you don't want it to lockup solid (too much wear and jams).

Adding a seating die in the priming position helps keep some of the problem cases (9mm) lined up and priming properly - I use a 3d printed die.

If the 1/4 bolt used to set primer depth has the raised part markings on it - pull it and file flat.

I have a bunch of 3d models for the case feeder and pushers but I think the new version from Lee is probably fine (still not caliber specific but a lot closer than what it was).

The turret will tend to get loose - just give the thumb screw a twist every once in a while.

onelight
01-29-2021, 09:05 AM
Just go slow with it unless you (have the jmorris touch ) it will still make a lot of ammo . But like all progressives the priming system is the most likely thing to cause a stoppage and these prime on the upstroke so for me not much feedback on primer seating.
If you have a stoppage double check every station before continuing. If you have the auto disk PM at the end of each session blow off any loose powder and lube the metal parts with a lube that will dry before the next session I use Hornady one shot gun cleaner lube.
When you are learning the press it might help for you to single feed cases for a session or two so you have one less thing going on when you are getting used to it , I look at the powder charge in each case before seating a bullet. And at the beginning check each primer when it comes off the press to make sure it is running and being operated like it needs.
I never used a bullet feeder on mine.
I used my loadmaster for a lot of years and made a lot of ammo with it but it is the most difficult of the Lee progressives for me to keep running smooth.
Read the directions :) and make a pile of ammo.

jmorris
01-29-2021, 09:35 AM
Make sure you have the indexing part working smooth as butter before you start trying to load with it. You should be able to smoothly raise and lower the ram with the flipper rotating back and forth, going in and out without the need for a certain speed or force being necessary for it to function. Mine was a free machine in parts and I spent about a week learning what it took to make it run well before I even put dies in it. When I finished it was the fastest loadmaster I have ever seen.

As suggested get a new one of the latest priming system and pick up a new flipper while your there and any other part that is mangled.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-service-parts/load-master-parts

The extra 9mm die is the key to priming happiness and making sure you don’t feed it crimped primer pockets.

Once you get it mounted, if you have any issue post the specific issue you are having, might be more helpful than just general suggestions. One thing is for sure, once you have one that’s been a nightmare to someone else, running smoothly, you will know what it takes to keep it that way.

Joel Chavez
01-29-2021, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the insight gents. I’ll keep you folks posted.

mdi
01-29-2021, 01:29 PM
For non-biased info (and no Lee Haters) go here; http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php

JeffG
01-30-2021, 01:30 AM
I have one I loaded a lot of ammo on which I bought second hand. Extra turrets plus some billet ones and turret stabilizers from Mike’s Reloading Bench. I never primed on mine, did that separately. Keep it clean, greased and the indexing tuned and it will work fine. It has a happy rhythm you’ll learn like all progressives do. I never pushed mine hard nor any of them. I moved up to a Prochucker 5 and the LM is in a box at the moment.

44Vaquero
01-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Come join us on FB or MeWe The original Lee Reloading and Casting group. On FB we have 35k in members and many own more then 1 Load Master!

To add to what Jmorris said the carrier bolt must also be torqued to a specific ft lbs 11.5 pounds or their about. Too much and you can bend the yoke too little and the carrier can shift.

hollywood63
01-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Do yourself a big favor and prime off press. Thou I really like Lee presses the priming systems suck and the smallest piece of crude will cause a stoppage

Conditor22
01-31-2021, 12:50 PM
The first of any part is free at https://leeprecision.com/, you just pay to ship [if you buy 2 of something on the same order the second one will cost you listed price + shipping)

IF you take/ship worn/broken parts in for exchange the exchanged parts are free. ( this doesn't include equipment, Lee will give you credit on the exchange of broken/damaged equipment.

There are many good (and some stupid/repetitious) youtube videos on the loadmaster.

I'd search them soon and take notes because they may not be up for too much longer.

I found the loadmaster likes to be kept clean and well lubed and will take a little attention on your part to keep it running smoothly.
I've cranked out a lot of ammo on mine.

Livin_cincy
01-31-2021, 03:42 PM
I moved up to a Prochucker 5 and the LM is in a box at the moment.

Start a thread on your ProChucker 5 experience.

charlie b
02-18-2021, 10:27 PM
I've had mine for about 15 years now. I agree, the primer system is the headache maker. I keep threatening to make a new system for my press.

I also like to clean cases so I usually deprime, clean, then I prime. I prime on press, but I do it as a single step (no turret in place). Goes fast when using the case feeder. Also has a good 'feel' to it so you can tell if a primer is flipped on it's side or if you have a case with a crimp. This way it doesn't mess up the entire loading process when a primer fails to feed/seat correctly.

After priming I then do the rest as a progressive. Resize (without the decap pin), expand and charge, seat, crimp.

If your press gets a bit 'balky' one thing I have found is that the shell plate 'push rod' does wear. It is a specific shape on the end with a slight bevel on one side (the side that is on the outside) and the end needs to be nice and flat with 'square' edges. Over time the edge rounds off and it messes up the 'action'. I just use a grinder to flatten the end and add the bevel. Then it works for another 10 or 20,000 rounds.

There are other things I did to make it work for me. The biggest was to redo the way the powder measure is manipulated. I use an auto disk for pistol loading. The ball and chain would always work loose or break. I just got a long spring and attached it from the powder measure to the frame. Works really well.

I did use the auto bullet feed for a while, but, found that loading the tube took almost as long as placing the bullets by hand so I tossed it.

And don't forget to lube it every now and then :)

Joel Chavez
02-19-2021, 12:08 AM
Well, after several weeks of gathering the missing parts(thanks to Lee Precision) the LM is ready to load. I made some dummy Firty5 with my Lyman 452374 cast boolits seated at 1.250. I’m gonna use my standard 6gr of Unique in a Para P12-Firty5. I invested just shy of 1 fiddy to load 9, 38, 357 and Firty5. I’m gonna make the final tweaks but it pretty much dialed in. Thanks to all those that gave insight on setup and much more.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210219/7b7a0163f78a0344855e978cb3c43d94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GasGuzzler
02-19-2021, 07:34 AM
Lots of good information here ---> https://www.lee-loader.com

They have proven press adjustment and brass prep cancels 99.9% need for any aftermarket parts. Lots of smart Lee progressive people there that will help with set up and/or diagnosis.

jetinteriorguy
02-19-2021, 08:35 AM
The biggest issues I’ve had are with priming and the bullet feeder. Now I deprime and prime off the press and set bullets in place by hand. Here is my station setup, one is sizing without the depriming rod, two is powder drop, three is a powder cop die, four is seating Bullet, and five is crimping Bullet. This is on 9mm and .38sp since they are the only calibers I load on the loadmaster. All others are loaded on the Lee cast turret or single stage on my Orange Crusher.

toallmy
02-19-2021, 08:47 AM
It's nice to see you are getting it setup .