PDA

View Full Version : First MP mold.

Coopaloop86
01-28-2021, 07:46 PM
I just received my first MP mold (.357 147gr hollowpoint). I have mostly been a Lee guy as I started casting to save money and shoot more... this a game changer! Casts flawlessly and beautifully. Plus it shipped faster from overseas than most products stateside.I see this more than paying for itself.

farmbif
01-28-2021, 07:49 PM
yeah, they sure are great, and I'm always amazed how they can get delivered so quick.

Targa
01-28-2021, 08:09 PM
I really can’t imagine a mold casting better. I am not saying that others won’t cast as well but really can’t imagine better. MP is excellent with a great price and unbelievable shipping.

Euchre
01-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Just started casting with my new MP mold. It’s an eight cavity .356 NLG mold. Not ever casting with an eight cavity mold and handicapped by working in a cold garage I had a serious problem. Couldn’t cut the spree. Soaking the mold in my 4-20 pot freed it up. While solving this problem my pour overheated. Finally, I put everything aside to sort this out. A trip to Walmart, I purchased an inexpensive hot plate, warmed the mold and screw plate to 200 degrees and began molding the most wonderful projectiles I hav ever seen.

USSR
01-28-2021, 08:39 PM
I really can’t imagine a mold casting better.

You've obviously never cast with an Accurate brass mold. Unfortunately, Tom doesn't make hollowpoint molds.

Don

RKJ
01-28-2021, 08:39 PM
They're a game changer aren't they. I've got 2 or 3 (or 4) and I want a few more I'm not bragging, just that those molds make me look I know what I'm doing.

AndyC
01-28-2021, 09:47 PM
A trip to Walmart, I purchased an inexpensive hot plate, warmed the mold and screw plate to 200 degrees and began molding the most wonderful projectiles I hav ever seen.
There you go :) I always cast with a hot-plate these days - it saves so much time.

Targa
01-28-2021, 10:39 PM
You've obviously never cast with an Accurate brass mold. Unfortunately, Tom doesn't make hollowpoint molds.

Don

You are right, I have not but keep toying with the idea of it. My hang up is that Accurate cost twice as much as my MP, H&G and Arsenal molds. I’ll cave one day and give Accurate a go.

Coopaloop86
01-29-2021, 01:38 AM
I cant believe how easily the HPs drop out. I was worried about that and after about 6 pours, I didn't even need to use my mold whacker. Broke the sprue with my gloved hand and boolits dropped right out. I'll have to keep my eyes open for an Accurate mold. I'm kicking myself for holding out for so long. Just goes to show, you get what you pay for.

Targa
01-29-2021, 06:26 AM
I ordered an 8 cavity 360 158 grain SWC last night before I went to bed, I just woke up with a shipping notification from DHL.

Coopaloop86
01-29-2021, 07:24 AM
And you'll be casting boolits in a matter of a few days.

cwlongshot
01-29-2021, 08:30 AM
Yup great molds and an absolute favorite.

Really like
My Saecos, RCBS, NOE, Accurates, Arsenals and even like a few of the Lymans. H&G has always been a step ahead too. But the MP molds are simply better.

God Bless,

CW

rintinglen
01-30-2021, 08:44 PM

Don

I have both, and have years of experience using them. Any difference in casting quality can fit in your eye and not be felt. These are the finest molds that money can buy and to claim a difference in quality is a bit presumptuous.

Coopaloop86
01-30-2021, 09:17 PM
Borrowed an old H&G 45 8 banger from a friend a while back. It was amazing quality but dear God... im 34, 6'4" 280lbs and that thing beat the brakes off me. It weighed a ton. Im glad it had so many cavities. Thing drained half a pot on every pour and you darn sure better preheat it.

USSR
01-30-2021, 10:23 PM
These are the finest molds that money can buy and to claim a difference in quality is a bit presumptuous.

Not presumptuous at all, rintinglen. All you have to do is look at the attention to detail that Tom puts into his brass molds. Vent lines on the top of the mold, quality sprue plate, and screws instead of the hollow pin that Miha uses to align the sprue plate. And this says nothing about the ability to customize your mold in any manner instead of a one size fits all.

Don

Targa
01-30-2021, 11:46 PM
Borrowed an old H&G 45 8 banger from a friend a while back. It was amazing quality but dear God... im 34, 6'4" 280lbs and that thing beat the brakes off me. It weighed a ton.

Lol.... I can imagine. Mine is a 4 banger and it beat me up pretty well when I didn’t have a mold guide. Makes me appreciate an aluminum mold casting session.