PDA

View Full Version : PC boolit load data

jules
01-28-2021, 06:14 PM
What load data are y'all using for your PC boolits? Most of mine are handgun in 38spc, 357mag, 40s&w, 10mm, 44spc, 44mag, 45acp and 480Rug. I have been using Cast data so far but can J data be used?

Conditor22
01-28-2021, 07:46 PM
Use the same as cast lubed. You can push pc'd faster W/O a GC, 1800 - 2100 fps depending on the gun

IF you use J data, start at the beginning load. I stick with lube load when available

RKJ
01-28-2021, 08:41 PM
I use jacket bullet load data. About mid range levels, worked good for me.

Hick
01-28-2021, 09:03 PM
I use the same loads PC or lube. Haven't seen any difference.

LabGuy
01-28-2021, 09:12 PM
Well, for a safe starting point, plated manufacturers say to use cast data. So I would start there, and head towards jacketed.

tazman
01-28-2021, 11:28 PM
Cast data, certainly.

GregLaROCHE
01-29-2021, 12:43 AM
Use cast data to begin with for sure. I’ve seen a lot of comments about PCed boolits going faster than plain greased lead boolits with the same load. You may be able to load PCed bollits a bit hotter, but then you are getting into an experimental zone and should be experienced and sure you know what you are doing.

jules
01-29-2021, 07:10 AM
Thanks Gents. Reason I asked this is not all cast boolit weights are listed. In this case I have been goin to the next heavier cast boolit and using that data to start. Sometimes there is data for the weight I am using but is a J boolit. Also not all powders I have on hand are listed for a certain weight.

bedbugbilly
01-29-2021, 12:02 PM
I use cast boolit data.

If you are going to the next heaviest boolit for your data - just remember that you need to pay attention to the COAL as well - if the next weight boolit has a different configuration, etc. - the seating depth may vary from what you are using and case volume then comes into play as well. You are probably well away of that but it deserves mentioning.

bangerjim
01-29-2021, 02:35 PM
Agree..........use CAST DATA for PC. In over 7 years of PC'ing, I have never had any problems going that way.

As far as length, just make dummy rounds for testing in your specific guns. Once you have the sweet spot of length and function, mark them and save them for future reference. I have a set of 6 for all the "tricky" loads I do. Helps clear some of the cobwebs when loading something I haven't done in a few years.

banger :guntootsmiley:

PAndy
02-07-2021, 08:32 AM
Jacketed loads from manuals are often at the high end on velocity. I have never pushed coated bullets for speed, so not sure how that works. Probably fine in a 45 auto but top end 357 loads for 125 gr bullets, for example, might be a little too much for the bullets.

charlie b
02-07-2021, 10:45 AM
PC bullets are good on the velocity end. I've shot plain base PC bullets in my rifle at 1700fps. For pistols it is a pressure question. And that I have not seen answered anywhere unless Gibson has measured it. I know he has compared jacketd vs cast and the answers are surprising. Some cases jacketed were higher pressure, some cases cast. So, I think there is no general rule.