PDA

View Full Version : Midway+USPS+Amazon+ Bank of America confluence of events

gnappi
01-28-2021, 01:39 PM
Months ago I bought a doodad on Ebay which had to go back to the seller, and they issued a UPS pickup, odd, the Ebay seller was using Amazon prime (I am a member there also) to ship.

In the same time frame I bought two .40 cal six cavity molds with handles from Midway and my USPS carrier who NEVER arrives before 2:00 (more on this later) came at ~9:30 while I was at my doctor's office and delivered them. When I got home at ~11:00 I found a UPS sticker on my door that they picked up my package... odd I still had the doodad in my house, and the tracking number for the Midway package said it was delivered but, no molds. Hmm... a check of my security system showed the UPS guy (who also NEVER comes to my house before 4:00 ) picking up and essentially stealing my USPS Midway package.

First UPS procedures state they are not allowed to pick up a random package.
Second, the USPS package had a from / to (me) label on it already.
Lastly when I called in after I saw the video the driver in the pic lied and said the package was already on the outbound truck. NOPE, the tracking showed it did not move for two days.

Again call UPS somewhere in the U.S. and they said no way to get it back, by my request they said it it would be returned / re-routed back to me when it arrived at the WRONG destination.

Nope it got lost in the Amazon fulfillment center.

I was P'oed and called Midway (So sorry it WAS delivered, your problem) called UPS, sorry we had a pickup, and picked it up, we're supposed to do that, USPS? Sorry we delivered it... then BOA. They were GREAT, held off on the charge and investigated my details.

In the interim I bought two of each of the .40 mold types (at a silly rising price over the ones which were taken) that were "stolen" by UPS...

Yesterday I got a box with my molds and handles from Amazon (Manna from heaven?) saying it was not in their inventory and it was re-sent to me.

Call BOA, cancel the refund request.

Now I have THREE of each of the .40 molds two new. I guess I could sell them because they appear to be unobtanium but one never knows... If I were to press my son into service with six molds I could make a LOT of bullets if this component shortage continues, at least for .40 caliber shooters, at a small uplift over my cost :-)

Egads, what a trip!

Mk42gunner
01-28-2021, 05:39 PM
Yikes.

I recently ordered some brass from Starline, the e-mail from UPS said an adult signature was going to be required. got home today and the package was sitting by the edge of my driveway, about ten feet from the road.

Robert

brewer12345
01-28-2021, 06:54 PM
Yikes.

I recently ordered some brass from Starline, the e-mail from UPS said an adult signature was going to be required. got home today and the package was sitting by the edge of my driveway, about ten feet from the road.

Robert

UPS dumped a box full of black powder on my porch and did not even bother to ring the bell.

dimaprok
01-28-2021, 07:50 PM
When I first got in to reloading during Obama ammo shortage I ordered 48lb of powder from Powder Valley and some primers too. Paid hefty shipping and Hazmat fee and eagerly waited on the day of scheduled delivery staying in my living room so that I could hear the UPS knock on the door. I get email notification on the phone that they missed delivery and I open the door and there is a missed delivery sticker on my door! Dang it! How could this happen? This was Saturday and I would have to wait through the weekend without my powder. No no no no! I jump in the car and drive in my neighbourhood like a maniac determined to find that delivery truck :) what are the chances? Shortly while I am waiting on intersection I see the truck pass! I follow it and it gets in the alley I get behind it and essentially block it LOL. Jump out from the car and run to the driver who probably thought I was crazy and ask him about my delivery and he's like oh yeah, I got your box and goes back to the truck and gives me this heavy box that I take it to my car - man was I happy!! Still got a bunch of that powder left.

tinsnips
01-28-2021, 10:10 PM
My UPS man is over the top great he will leave them inside the house if I am not at home could not ask for better service. Now FED EX they are another story if it can be goofed up they will goof it up. I could write a book on the subject.

samari46
01-29-2021, 12:18 AM
USPS will leave the package in front of the door.And does not ring the bell. Same for UPS. Course if it's a small package and fits in the mail box it stays there until we check the mail. We get home delivery from wal mart. And they ring the bell. So when I'm expecting a package made a habit of checking at the front door. Course with covid delivery times have been increased and double check at the door. And I know the door bell works as I installed a new wireless on at the front door. Frank

Land Owner
01-29-2021, 05:28 AM
At least, in the end and through all of the frustration, cooler heads at some level prevailed, your package(s) was(were) returned to you, and all that you "lost" was time and a little sleep. Is that not the "way of the world"? Now you have three. Lightheartedly, we could call you a "hoarder", but that would be disingenuous. There must be some universal "rule of random order" that periodically, intermittently, and without warning into every ordinary, easy going, unassuming life there will be some confabulated/confounding/contradictory/c-word aggravation and unexplainable/unimaginable/unforgivable/u-word stress induced trauma. That cosmic string went through your house so it seems.

MrWolf
01-29-2021, 06:45 AM
Post office I have to drive into town if it won't fit in my mailbox 3/4 mile from the house. UPS and FedEx are both great, right to my door and bring treats for the dogs. Will leave packages if signature required.

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2021, 10:15 AM
I'm fortunate that my local post office is great. They look out for me and I look out for them.
The UPS and Fedex drivers are good, although there's a different Fedex driver every time.

30 years ago if you had asked me if package delivery would be a world leading business, I don't think I would have predicted that correctly.
In todays world of internet sales, Amazon, Ebay, etc. - package delivery is a HUGE system. Add to that COVID-19 and the impact that has on retail sales and "brick & mortar" stores.

People complain a lot about big business but if there one area that the U.S.A. excels in - It is package delivery!
The systems of UPS, Fedex and DHL are colossal. The margins are thin, the competition is intense, the expenses are enormous (UPS and Fedex own more aircraft than a lot of passenger airlines) and yet the overall system works and is profitable.

In systems of that scale, there will always be some failures but overall - It Is Impressive !

Three44s
01-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Our regular UPS and Fed Ex drivers are sooper!

Our regular USPS carrier is great as well.

Some of the subs are a little out there!

Three44s

Markopolo
01-29-2021, 10:42 AM
you guys make me Jealous. i drive 100 miles to my post office in the winter. UPS sends me a message that I have packages at the airport, and when I get there, also 100 mile trip, they are outside in the crud semi covered. fedex dont come here and ups is rare. usually UPS just stamps undeliverable and doesn't mess with it. in the summer, the float plane driver drops mail right on our boat dock.. everybody knows when the mail plane arrives as it a Beaver float plane and it make a distinctive sound when buzzing overhead. right now the harbor is frozen and planes cant come.

Here is what our pony express looks like in the summer..

https://gunstreamer.com/v/wlmpuu

popper
01-29-2021, 11:44 AM
Little 90# USPS gal carries the 60# box of lead up to the front door. No complaints from me. Told her just leave at the box next time, nope gives her exercise.

Petrol & Powder
01-29-2021, 02:28 PM
you guys make me Jealous. i drive 100 miles to my post office in the winter. UPS sends me a message that I have packages at the airport, and when I get there, also 100 mile trip, they are outside in the crud semi covered. fedex dont come here and ups is rare. usually UPS just stamps undeliverable and doesn't mess with it. in the summer, the float plane driver drops mail right on our boat dock.. everybody knows when the mail plane arrives as it a Beaver float plane and it make a distinctive sound when buzzing overhead. right now the harbor is frozen and planes cant come.

Were you exiled to that part of the world or did you CHOOSE to live there?

And, Are you allowed to leave or is it Botany Bay?

Markopolo
01-29-2021, 09:03 PM
LMBO at P&P.. i choose to live here!!!! and the botany bay is Classic TreK!!!!!

pworley1
01-29-2021, 09:13 PM
Glad you got your molds.

boboyette
01-29-2021, 09:39 PM
Landowner,
That is quite true! You just have to shake your head and drive on!

David2011
01-30-2021, 03:53 AM
Reminds me of a shipment from Powder Valley. At the time of the order I was a many times repeat customer at the same address. Got a message that an order had been delivered but it wasn’t at my house. Drove up and down the street and saw an appropriate sized box on a porch. Sure enough, my name was on it but the address wasn’t even a valid address for that street. The neighbor wasn’t home so I took it and went about my business. It was quite legible; just wrong. UPS delivered to my house at least once a week and often several times a week so my name should have been familiar to the driver. Powder Valley seemed uninterested that they put the wrong street number on the package and that it wasn’t even a verifiable address.

MrWolf
01-30-2021, 08:51 AM

I kept waiting to see an Orca or great white swallow the plane :bigsmyl2:

Markopolo
01-30-2021, 09:54 AM
that would be a more interesting way of loosing a plane. one year we lost 4 different mail planes in 12 months. them float/bush plane drivers remind me of Bull Riders.

Petrol & Powder
01-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Paradise comes at a price and that may be a good thing.

To avoid the insanity of the left, it may be necessary to live somewhere that doesn't have the conveniences of mid-town Manhattan. It's a price worth paying.

Gewehr-Guy
01-30-2021, 10:27 AM
In the summer time how often do you recieve mail service ? To loose a pilot and plane is a tragic event for you folks living on the edges of the world. My last ride on a Beaver was in 1980 , wish I had it's number, to see if it is still in service.

Markopolo
01-30-2021, 10:40 AM
we are suppost to get mail weekly.. rarely is that the case. it is horribly tragic cuz we know our mailman. usually younger types wanting the stick hours.. my mother came up for a visit once, and wanted to ride the mail plane.. she went the whole route with Jan, our young pilot of the time and had a great time, took lots of pictures from the co-pilot seat. 2 months later Jan was gone after flipping her plane trying to abort a landing in a village south of here... Jan died in that one, along with a nurse practitioner. they died with their boots on thats for sure.. doing what they loved. my mom was delt a dose of alaskan reality that day when she heard. everything looks so cool and fun on TV, and it is, but just inherently dangerous and unforgiving.

marko

jonp
01-30-2021, 05:18 PM
Yikes.

Robert

I got a box of 45LC brass like that from Starline no less. UPS showed up in the afternoon and instead of leaving it near the door they threw it on the lawn halfway to the road for some reason.

jonp
01-30-2021, 05:24 PM
Post office I have to drive into town if it won't fit in my mailbox 3/4 mile from the house. UPS and FedEx are both great, right to my door and bring treats for the dogs. Will leave packages if signature required.

That reminds me of something that happened a little while ago. Our first UPS driver when we moved in was great. I'd leave my pickup unlocked and he would put the ammo, powder or whatever in it and lock it up leaving a note on the door. He also would give our Valley Bulldog a milkbone which she loved. A few years later he moved on to a different route and we got a new guy. Well, one day he pulled in and got out to bring the box and Ralph set off at a dead run to get her treat. That guy ran back to the truck and got in. When I came out the door Ralph was guarding his door wagging her tail waiting for the treat. I explained what was going on but that guy didn't get out of the truck, just handed me the box and left. Now I have signed up for the email notices and when a package is due to arrive I leave Ralph inside for everyone except our mail lady who doesn't give Ralph a treat but pets her and makes a big fuss which Ralph eats up. Our mail lady even came into the garage one day while I was casting as I didn't hear her come in the driveway to give me a package and ended up casting a couple of boolits getting a kick out of it.