PDA

View Full Version : Grafs/ Goex renacator powder update

RU shooter
01-28-2021, 11:32 AM
The fedex man just showed up with my order from Grafs , I ask a few weeks ago about the reenactor powder which is Grafs brand of Goex as it's listed right in the bottle . They state in the information about it that is is also usable or informal target shooting thus the reason I figured I'd try some out . As it was only 16 bucks a pound and most of the other powders were going outa stock at an alarming rate due to the panic . Boy oh boy is there a big mix of grain sizes in it most of the bigger veriety but I'm gonna try it out anyways in my 50 cal to see what happens . Here's a pic of it . There's 3F shutzen on the left and the reenactor powder on right .

farmbif
01-28-2021, 12:10 PM
well reenactor's don't shoot bullets do they, they just want a kaboom and billowing smoke.

waksupi
01-28-2021, 12:27 PM
Pretty much what we used to call floor sweepings, and bought dirt cheap.

RU shooter
01-28-2021, 12:33 PM
Pretty much what we used to call floor sweepings, and bought dirt cheap.
Yep I agree I wasn't expecting much so I'm not too disappointed . I guess 16 bucks a lb is the new dirt cheap

brewer12345
01-28-2021, 01:03 PM
If you get around to shooting with it, please post your results. I always wondered if that stuff would shoot acceptably.

carbine
01-28-2021, 06:07 PM
im paying $17 a pound for 25 lb bulk FFFg Goex at Backcreek gunshop in Winchester

RU shooter
01-28-2021, 08:19 PM
im paying $17 a pound for 25 lb bulk FFFg Goex at Backcreek gunshop in Winchester
That's a good price . I guess the price for say 10 lb is more ? That's about a 8 hr drive round trip for me plus tolls both ways

Nobade
01-28-2021, 09:13 PM
If it's not fast enough just grind it more and screen it.

carbine
01-29-2021, 07:07 AM
RU that is the price per a 25 pound Bag. You can get 5 lbs a little more expensive. check out Blackpowderva.com

smithnframe
01-29-2021, 07:14 AM
Try it out and let us know the results!

indian joe
01-29-2021, 07:24 AM
Yep I agree I wasn't expecting much so I'm not too disappointed . I guess 16 bucks a lb is the new dirt cheap

That looks like 4FA grade to me - get some screens and sort it out - you'll get some FFFg, some FFg, and a bit of Fg for the cannon.
Take a ruler in the grocery store/kitchen supplies and get a vegetable strainer (12 to 14 mesh) and a splatter screen for the frying pan (20-22mesh) then go to the hardware and get a piece of aluminium window screen mesh (is about 16 mesh) .
It should all go through the 12 mesh - what dont is cannon fodder
What goes through the vege strainer and stays on the window screen is Fg
what goes through the window screen and stays on the splatter screen is a nice even FFg
What goes through the splatter screen is FFFg - if you can get some 40 or 50 mesh then that will take out any FFFFg and makes your FFFg a bit nicer

I reckon even kernel size is a big deal in getting consistent results with blackpowder - other blokes dont agree -- but if you just think its better you will shoot better and conversely if you think you have cheap crappy powder you will not shoot as good.............

RU shooter
01-29-2021, 08:57 AM
That looks like 4FA grade to me - get some screens and sort it out - you'll get some FFFg, some FFg, and a bit of Fg for the cannon.
Take a ruler in the grocery store/kitchen supplies and get a vegetable strainer (12 to 14 mesh) and a splatter screen for the frying pan (20-22mesh) then go to the hardware and get a piece of aluminium window screen mesh (is about 16 mesh) .
It should all go through the 12 mesh - what dont is cannon fodder
What goes through the vege strainer and stays on the window screen is Fg
what goes through the window screen and stays on the splatter screen is a nice even FFg
What goes through the splatter screen is FFFg - if you can get some 40 or 50 mesh then that will take out any FFFFg and makes your FFFg a bit nicer

I reckon even kernel size is a big deal in getting consistent results with blackpowder - other blokes dont agree -- but if you just think its better you will shoot better and conversely if you think you have cheap crappy powder you will not shoot as good.............
Thanks for the tip I have some of those in the kitchen alread , do you happen to know what dia holes the mesh size equates too ?

indian joe
01-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the tip I have some of those in the kitchen alread , do you happen to know what dia holes the mesh size equates too ?

No never measured that (too hard) but the powder matches commercial grades close enough after screening - main point is even-ness. also I shake till stuff stops falling through - gets more even than factory powder where they just run it across the screens for percent through and percent retained .

bedbugbilly
01-29-2021, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the photo comparison - I have never seen the reenact grade - figured it would be floor sweepings with a greater amount of finer granules. If 3F on the left,. that on the right looks more coarse than 1F but smaller than blasting grade.

Will be interesting to hear what your results are. My guess is that it will work O.K. but you will notice the difference in what you are used to with finer anymore uniform granules.

Thanks for the post and photo -interesting.

RU shooter
01-30-2021, 10:16 AM
Tomorrow is my relax and do nothing day so I'll probably run a pound of it through the screens I have and see what's what, from the looks of it there's gonna be a lot that won't pass through the veg strainer I have I'll have to put my extra strong glasses on and count the mesh per inch to see what mine is .

RU shooter
01-30-2021, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the photo comparison - I have never seen the reenact grade - figured it would be floor sweepings with a greater amount of finer granules. If 3F on the left,. that on the right looks more coarse than 1F but smaller than blasting grade.

Will be interesting to hear what your results are. My guess is that it will work O.K. but you will notice the difference in what you are used to with finer anymore uniform granules.

Thanks for the post and photo -interesting.

There just might be a good bit of finer stuff on the bottoms of the can that may have sifted down in transit on the FedEx trucks , the sample I took the pic of was all on the top and just dribbled it out on the paper

RU shooter
02-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Well got one pound screened out I as pleasantly surprised ! Ended up with Between 7/8-3/4 lb of shootable powder . My screens were a strainer 14 mesh , window screen 17-18 mesh and lastly a splatter cover screen and best I could count was 22-23 mesh per inch . There's still a good bit of dust in there that would be good for primming powder but I'm not going to bother as I have plenty and use so little Here's what I ended up with .

Strainer 276835

Window screen 276836

Splatter screen 276837