PDA

View Full Version : Picking Off Redcoats With 2oz. Lead Ball North Carolina History From 1776

DougGuy
01-28-2021, 01:27 AM
I came across this very interesting story from nearby Wilmington NC during the American Revolution. Seems one Col. Thomas Bloodworth was well known to British troops and neither one would miss a chance to antagonize the other, Bloodworth now being a target of opportunity sought refuge in the woods hunting rather than be captured at his home, on one of these hunting trips with his dogs, a very interesting event began to take place.

Hearing the dogs running a fox, then hearing their baying sound like it was off in the distance, Bloodworth went to where he last heard the dogs and discovered a tunnel entrance that led into a cave, here his dogs had cornered the fox, along with two possums and a mink. By lighting a torch, Bloodworth discovered that in the cave there was access to the roots of a hollowed out cypress tree, some 7 feet in diameter.

The rest of the grand plan is best told by his grandson, as there were many versions of the story. Here is a clipping from the Wilmington paper, dated April 5, 1897.

I will type out the text here because it's much too small to read:

Facts About The Bloodworth Gun
(Correspondence of The Messenger)
Burgaw, NC, April 5 1897

Editors Messenger:

Having seen several references in The Messenger relative to the remarkable gun of Colonel Thomas Bloodworth,
most of which was erroneous or partly so (except the statement of Mr. Mc-Clammy), I desire to write a few lines
on the subject in order to set the public right as to Col. Thomas Bloodworth, the hero of that wonderful gun, and
Timothy Bloodworth, through whose influence and vote Raleigh was made the capital or North Carolina.

Colonel Thomas Bloodworth was a gunsmith by trade, and passionately fond of hunting. He never lost an opportunity
of annoying the British at every available point. This, of course, rendered him obnoxious to the British and they sought
every opportunity to retaliate. He soon found it was unhealthy to remain at home and spent a considerable part of his time
in the woods hunting. On one occasion during the occupancy of Wilmington by the British, he was out with his dogs
chasing a fox at Point Peter when all at once his dogs ceased yelping and could not be heard. He proceeded through
the swamp in the direction of where he last heard them, and having discovered an entrance or cavity in the ground,
he imagined he heard the distant bark of his dogs.

After some hasty preparation with matches and kindling he entered the cave and found his trusty dogs had captured
a fox, two 'possums and a mink. He surveyed the subterranean passage and found it led to the root of a very large cypress
which was hollow. Here he concocted a plan by which he could further annoy the British. He returned home, made himself
a rifle to carry a two ounce ball, took his son and one Padgett, with three weeks worth of rations and repaired to the garrison
he had prepared in the big cypress by building scaffolds up in the hollow of the tree, where he arranged a port hole for "Old Bess"
as he called his newly made gun.

As the British were accustomed to watering their horses and assembling at Market Dock he arranged the port hole so the gun
would bear on that particular point and for several mornings when "Old Bess" was discharged from the cypress garrison
some poor Britisher bit the dust or was tipped into the river.

This narrative is too long to be repeated here when it can be read in "Caruther's Sketches Of North Carolina."

Timothy Bloodworth, my grand father, was a member of the house of commons from 1779 to 1784 inclusive, United States
senator in 1786 and subsequently speaker of the senate of North Carolina in 1788, and in 1790 and '01 represented the
Cape Fear district in the lower hose of congress. When the location of the site of the government of North Carolina came
up in the legislature, the contest was narrowed down to Fayetteville and Raleigh and by his vote the latter place was selected.

He dared to do what he conceived to be right, even though it might cause him to be less popular. He gave the vote and Raleigh
was selected as the capital of the state and in perpetuity of his name the commissioners who laid out the city of Raleigh
called one of the streets Bloodworth.

R.N. Bloodworth

Adding this now day map of Wilmington, Peter Point (see red arrow) is between the two branches of the Cape Fear river, and the docks are across the river to the east, I can only assume that Bloodworth was firing his gun across the Cape Fear river at the British troops. Wish I had some more anecdotal accounts of this incident, I bet there were some good stories going around once the rest of the Continental US Army heard of it..

ronz
01-28-2021, 02:18 AM
another article
https://www.carolana.com/NC/Revolution/revolution_wilmington_2.html

Friends call me Pac
01-28-2021, 01:09 PM
I grew up about 15 miles north of that red arrow. I never heard the story until today. Interesting.

Mk42gunner
01-28-2021, 05:35 PM
So a 2 ounce ball, assuming a round ball from the era, would be an 8 gauge if my thinking is correct.

While this sounds huge to us today, it really isn't all that much larger than a 10 or 11 gauge Brown Bess musket, unless it was rifled.

Robert

jlm223
01-28-2021, 06:35 PM
Very interesting, Thanks for sharing.

jonp
01-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Doug. Very interesting history of this state. Wife and I since moving here have made it a point to visit many locations of that period and The Civil War in NC and Virginia.

JoeJames
01-28-2021, 07:38 PM
Interesting, my direct ancestor was a constable during the war in Orange County, but a cousin was Major Samuel Andrews, Royal NC regiment. He and his commanding officer, Colonel Fanning, were not forgiven after the war, but banned from NC. Ended up in Nova Scotia by way of Florida.

John Wayne
01-28-2021, 10:41 PM
Fascinating. God bless those men that fought for our independence! My mom grew up in Mount Airy (Mayberry).

Land Owner
01-29-2021, 05:34 AM
Oh, you can't use that title in Xiden's World today. It might offend the remaining lineage of Red Coat survivors. Oh My! Isn't history supposed to be rewritten in Fairy dust, by Unicorns, with balloons and lollypops for the snowflakes?

Shopdog
01-29-2021, 06:42 AM
Excellent point Land Owner!

And whatever you do,don't start reading about America's armories. Where you might get the idea that these iconic institutions in fact, are the single biggest contributors to the global industrial "revolution".... that too,could cause folks to snowflake.

JoeJames
01-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Oh, you can't use that title in Xiden's World today. It might offend the remaining lineage of Red Coat survivors. Oh My! Isn't history supposed to be rewritten in Fairy dust, by Unicorns, with balloons and lollypops for the snowflakes?I cain't speak for the branch of my family that had to move to Nova Scotia at war's end, but it don't bother me none. But I have been accused of being somewhere to the right of Nathan Bedford Forrest and that sure didn't bother me any either. I prefer my history taken neat without being diluted by Marxist propaganda.

Thumbcocker
01-29-2021, 10:19 AM
Matches in the 1770's?

gbrown
01-29-2021, 12:22 PM
Matches in the 1770's?

A match in olden times was a glowing splint of wood, rope or twisted grass. Ever seen a matchlock musket?

Three44s
01-29-2021, 09:03 PM
That hollow tree was truly a tree of Liberty!

God Bless all those that sacrificed in the American Revolutionary War for our freedom!

Three44s

jonp
01-30-2021, 05:37 PM
Matches in the 1770's?

https://cannonfuse.com/rope-fuse.html