PDA

View Full Version : NEF barrel swap question.

mikenbarb
12-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I have a New England Firearms single shot slug gun in 12 gauge and im wondering if their barrels interchance with others because I want to get a couple others for my kids to shoot it. Im looking to get a .22, .243 and a .410 bore barrel if anyone knows where to get them used or pretty cheap. I already checked egunparts.

Buckshot
12-21-2008, 04:08 AM
..............I know that H&R has a different reciever they use for their centerfire capable rifles. I think the shotgun actions are SB1 and the centerfires are SB2. I don't think they'll put a rifle barrel on the SB1 shotgun action.

...............Buckshot

leftiye
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Buckshot is correct. Plus, for some reason (probly scummy manufacturing processes), NEF SB's are all fitted to their individual barrels, and the barrels don't interchange unless you have recievers that are identical (They can be made to be so). Don't even think about putting a high powered rifle barrel on an SB1 (shotgun) reciever, they aren't heat treated (like the SB2's are) and just plain can't take the pressure.

357maximum
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

some reading

mikenbarb
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Ok, Thanks for the info. I was just going by the combos they offer with a rifle and shotgun barrel in a package and thought it would interchange. Guess im sticking with the Savage 30-30's and Marlins for them.
Isnt H&R different than NEF?? Im wondering if NEF offers a .410/45LC barrel for mine or if thats considered a rifle barrel. I will have to call them later and see what they say about it

357maximum
12-23-2008, 12:41 AM
I think this is the way the story goes[smilie=1:
H&R was bought by N.E.F and then bought by Marlin and then by Remington

I know an old woman who swallowed a fly.....[smilie=1:

pietro
12-23-2008, 05:19 AM
While not legally the same, H&R and NEF are physically the same - they're aka Handi's.

The reason the factory wouldn't put a centerfire barrel on a SB1 shotgun or muzzleloader receiver is that AFAIK those are made of cast iron, whereas the guns that originated as centerfire rifles (SB2) are of steel, and can take a lower pressure shot barrel.

I've been able to interchange a Pardner II Tracker 12ga slug barrel onto a .45-70 Buffalo Classic frame w/o issues - but couldn't upgrade my neighbor's very early .410 to 20ga, as the newer 20ga barrel wouldn't easily fit the frame/lockup.

dk17hmr
12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
I am pretty sure the 45/410 comes on a SB1 frame, I has a choke that is straight rifled to "stop" the shot from spinning. If you plan on shooting 45's through it you mine want it drilled and tapped so you can put a scope on it because it only comes with a bead front sight. With that barrel there is an option to shoot the 450 Mongo out of it also, which is a 452 bullet loaded into a brass 410 case.

mikenbarb
12-24-2008, 11:21 AM
The NEF I have is already sporting a scope because its a fully rifled single shot slug gun but I want to add a smaller smoothbore barrel for my kids to shoot it to learn respect of only being able to shoot once and to take their time. They both have repeating guns but I want to get them into a single shot for small game hunting. I still have my old Savage 220a but wont take it in the woods anymore for fear of banging it up because its still in mint shape.