PDA

View Full Version : Fingers crossed, NOE mould on the way?

BJK
01-27-2021, 11:12 AM
I didn't start an acc't with NOE so I can't log in to check status. But 1 of 2 potential orders shipped yesterday. One order was the mould (TL310-225-CE3 5cav GC) and another was the handle. I see that the mould is no longer backordered and the handles still are. So I'm in hopes that it's the mould. I think I saw somewhere here that other handles are usable for the mould so I'm not all that concerned about the handle. Traditionally our weather won't be usable for casting outdoors for another 2 months anyway. But I'm chomping at the bit to get going learning what I need to learn to start cranking out bullets.

Minerat
01-27-2021, 11:15 AM
Lyman, lee and mehi handles work on mine.

BJK
01-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Thanks. I plan to order another mould and I have a Lyman handle on the shelf doing absolutely nothing. At this point I have very few moulds so all of mine have their own handles.

Do I need to do anything to the mould before using, beyond degreasing it and oiling the correct spots w/2 cycle syn' oil?

Wheelguns 1961
01-27-2021, 12:08 PM
I scrub mine with a toothbrush, hot water, and a drop of dawn. Then, I heat cycle 3-4 times on a hot plate. I put it on the hotplate for 20-30 minutes, then I let it cool to room temperature. Repeat. Only oil the mold when it is hot. Use very little oil. A tiny 1/2 of a drop on the male side of the alignment pins is all that is needed. I have several NOE molds, and they are some of my favorites.

BJK
01-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Thanks. I have a MP mould I'll wash and heat cycle at the same time. I did a search to find info on heat cycling. I like the toaster/broiler method so when the NOE mold comes in I'll get 'em both done.

Wheelguns 1961
01-27-2021, 03:26 PM
There are some good tips and tricks at mp-molds.com. Check it out.

BJK
01-27-2021, 05:21 PM
I should have stated my moulds are aluminum and I'm setting up to apply wet PC. I've looked at the MP tips and tricks and saw nothing there for me other than assembly which I figured out first thing. I also figured out that I'm not crazy about their handle. I think I'm going to look at it and figure where I grind metal to get them to open wider. I don't expect any difficulty with that.

Minerat
01-27-2021, 08:45 PM
I do as Wheelguns says even the aluminum moulds. Although the aluminum are not as picky about the heat cycling as brass.

BJK
01-27-2021, 11:50 PM
WILCO

Thanks

BJK
01-28-2021, 06:13 PM
Bummer! My NOE handles arrived; that was the package. Wow, aren't they rugged!

Maybe I was hallucinating. I thought my mould wasn't backordered yesterday, but today it is. I haven't gotten another notification of a shipment headed my way. Yeah, I must have been hallucinating.

gpidaho
01-28-2021, 06:35 PM
Bjk: Al must be as busy as everyone else in the reloading business. I ordered an in stock mould over a week ago and haven't received a shipping notice yet. Usually by this time I have the order in hand. Gp