PDA

View Full Version : What are these wads used for?

mikenbarb
12-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I got a few bags of Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads 1000 Plus and wondering if they can be used in modern plastic hulls or older paper hulls with buckshot or slug loads because I cant find any data for them.
I also have a bunch of what look to be stiff light grey wax soaked felt wad. The grey waxy ones are .565dia and .060 thick. Are these an over powder wad for possibly a 54 caliber BP or a 20 gauge shotshell? Theres no name on the bag thay came in but they look factory made. I will try to post pics of them in a bit.

12-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Mike,
The only use I know of for the lubed Wonder-Wads is in muzzleloading. Over the powder wad before the patched round ball. I may be thinking of a product other than yours, but I've used them while shooting round ball.

DLCTEX
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
+1 on Ox-Yoke wads being for black powder.

cajun shooter
12-21-2008, 11:18 AM
+2 on Ox-Yoke wads. They are no longer made and might be wanted by a muzzleloader shooter. I think thats what you do Mike, correct me if I'm wrong.

mikenbarb
12-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I shoot BP but not the long range types that need an over powder wad. I got 2 full bags of these so I guess I will sell them to someone who can use them. I was hoping that they could be used for my 12 gauge loads because their shotgun wads and says 12 gauge on the tags but im quite sure they can be cut down with a wad punch. I will try to post a pic so you know what im talking about. I still cant figure out what the grey waxy ones are for.

mikenbarb
12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/002-9.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/004-10.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/001-1.jpg

Heres a pic of them and the grey felt ones are next to the dime for comparison.

cajun shooter
12-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Sent you a PM on the wads

northmn
12-26-2008, 08:43 AM
.565 is about a 28 gauge wad or might be usable as a 24 gauge. Being a cushion wad they would work in a 24 or NW Tradegun in that bore. While I do not like to state a given rule in the old days we used to cut charges by 10% when we moved from card wads to plastic. There were some loaders set up for trap shooting that caused problems when sold and set up for card wads and the individual buying them used the load with plastic.

Northmn

runfiverun
12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
you put these felt ones inside the wad to bulk up the shot column for a good crimp.
i have used a bunch of these for steel shot loads.
the cardboard can be used for the same thing,or as an extra gas seal.
back in the day they didn't have plastic wads and cardboard was used between the powder and shot.
some of the bargain shells now days still do this a cardboard wad and a tyvex wrap folded around the shot they also use soft shot [really soft]
so consequently your patterns suck and won't hold together over any distance.
the cardboard wads are also used as an over shot card for a roll crimp in some applications.