PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL356-124-2R accuracy

jimlj
01-26-2021, 06:21 PM
Lee TL356-124-2R accuracy. Does anyone have any experience with this boolit?
My first attempt left so much lead in the barrel I went back to the jacketed bullet I had been using. I never tried for accuracy. The casting pot, mold and box of lead set for over a year. I think my problem was too small diameter for my barrels.

I drank the powder coat cool-aid and was able to fatten the boolits up to about .358, and I size them to .357. With the powder coat I have no barrel leading, but I am shooting patterns more than groups. With the jacketed bullet I was shooting a 3" group at 75'. With this boolit I miss the target 50% of the time.

So, is my boolit too small? The barrel slugs at .355-.3555" Is this a bad boolit for accuracy? Do you recommend another boolit?

tazman
01-26-2021, 06:31 PM
I recommend another boolit.
That particular tumble lube boolit has a bad reputation for inaccuracy and leading in 9mm handguns. I believe it is because of the lack of larger driving bands to grip the rifling. Powder coating helps a little but not enough. Tumble lube designs and high pressure cartridges can be problematic. The tumble lube designs work great with lower pressure rounds like 38Special and 45ACP.
The Lee 120tc or the 125 RN will work better. I prefer the NOE 135 RF design for general use but the Lee molds work fine. These will work either tumble lubed, standard lube, or powder coated.

Kraschenbirn
01-27-2021, 03:01 PM
Haven't tried the tumble-lube RN but the TC version shoots - PC'd and sized .357 - shoots only 'okay' from my SIG and then I've had to back the load down to 4.0 gr. of 231 to eliminate the occasional 'keyhole'. I'm thinking of, maybe, going to a 'groove-less' RF designed for powder-coat.

Bill

Conditor22
01-27-2021, 03:11 PM
it worked well (for me) IF you size it as fat as will cycle and chamber in your gun

my best results were over HP-38/W231

I get better results with the 125 RN

Cast_outlaw
01-27-2021, 03:37 PM
I use this in a p08 Luger and a p89 ruger shoots ok in the ruger (but ok is the best I’ve got from that gun ever) and if a good casting amazing in the Luger with tight group and loaded as cast with LLA

canyon-ghost
01-30-2021, 03:08 PM
I'm going to say it once more. If you shoot lead after jacketed, you may get leading caused by copper fouling. Copper fouling is harder than lead and can rip the bullets while stringing it down your barrel. You might need a brass brush and hoppes to get it all out before shooting lead. I cleaned that dang .41 mag four times before I got it to stop!