PDA

View Full Version : Ammo I forgot about.

frkelly74
01-26-2021, 01:14 PM
So , Back in 2004 to 2006 Was kind of a heyday for buying cheap surplus bolt rifles. Most here probably remember those days, pre Obama and all the hoopla that he caused. The local Gun Shop did actually have a picture of Barak Obama on their wall with the inscription " Salesman Of The Year " under it. Sorry to digress there. Anyway I was into buying the K31 rifles when they had them on sale for $99.99 each at the Dunhams Sports Chain stores around west Michigan. I had accumulated 13 of them by the time the economy hit the down turn and my work dried up. There were people who were collecting these and trying to get one for every year of their manufacture .They were fine rifles but i found them rather unwieldy. I once had a shooter come over to me at the range I frequented and ask if I was having trouble with my Garand, That was kind of funny. So gradually I sold them off when I needed money for a transmission rebuild and other such emergencies. I made money on each one, much better than any other investment I have ever made. Last fall I sold off the last one which was also the very first one I ever bought. ....... So rooting around in my boxes of stuff in a box marked 30/06 there were about 200 loaded rounds of 7.5X55 ammo. Some loaded into Graff brass and a bunch loaded into 284 Winchester brass. Much of it with wc852 powder and some with reloader 21. So now i am faced with the job of breaking those rounds down to salvage the components .... or re purchasing a rifle to shoot the ammo in. Cabelas has K11 and 96-11 long rifles on hand but those are $500 . So it is possible, but i have other guns that I don't shoot enough already, So I probably won't go that route. I have two old Turk 93 mausers that need shooting and I just got a new plinker mold for those. Also I have been having some fun with a snub 38 , a rossi 38 and I just have gotten one of those Taurus G2c 9mm pistols. So there is no lack of toys here to play with. So I guess I will just pull them apart and salvage what I can. So that is what is on my mind right now since I have quit watching the news.

Thumbcocker
01-26-2021, 01:56 PM
Obvious solution. Buy a gun that fits the ammo you have

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gbrown
01-26-2021, 03:03 PM
I can relate to finding lost? stuff. This morning I found a set of 270 dies I had stuck back. 270? Never owned one, don't need one. Where did I get these? Also, I keep finding boxes of 22 lr I stuck here and there. LOL CRS to the max!

frkelly74
01-26-2021, 04:58 PM
It is worse than I thought. I have about 400 rounds They keep showing up .

farmbif
01-26-2021, 05:13 PM
I just today found out in the barn 1000 federal sp primers in a box with all my old Lyman manuals including my first the 44th edition, old cast and shotshell manuals too, and to boot 100 20 gauge #5 shot. and about 1000 rounds of 9mm and 40 s&w---score
quite the find while looking for the skill saw

jimlj
01-26-2021, 05:46 PM
I found about 10 550 round bulk pack of Federal 22lr I accused my son of shooting. He even admitted to taking the last box from my safe.
My wife has decorations for each season she puts on the top of our kitchen cabinets. There was crown molding on top of the cabinets and she needed something to put her decorations on so you could see them over the molding. It was several years later when we were moving to a new house I found them while taking down her decorations. It was then I remembered getting them for her since they were the perfect height. She now has blocks of wood cut to display what ever happens to be in season.

funnyjim014
01-26-2021, 06:57 PM
Put them back in the stash. You never know a rifle may walk into your life someday.

gbrown
01-26-2021, 07:02 PM
Yeah, keeps happening to me. After I posted today, I was out in the garage to see if I had any brass I did not know about out there. LOL I moved some stuff and saw this small arms can. What's that? opened it, 2 boxes of 357 mag, 1 of 38 Spl, 2 of 30/30, and a partial of 30/06. Oh, well, add it to the rest. Lord knows what else I find as I dig thru my stuff. Christmas comes early! Yea!

frkelly74
01-26-2021, 08:56 PM
I did go out to Cabelas to look at those K11 and 96-11 long rifles. They still have all of them... but there was a really decent looking mid war 91-30 that they wanted a reasonable price for, so I bought that. Reasonable for these times I guess. I have ammo stashed for that also , and dies. I will need to slug the bore, The other three I used to have slugged at about .317 and I never shot any cast through them. I was kind of thinking of a Ruger 10-22 if I saw one I thought was a deal but this 91-30 caught my eye. I had to tell the salesman that the last one of these that I bought was $80 and he actually knew what time frame I was talking about. Dunhams had 50 round boxes of Aguila 22 ammo. Solids were $5.49 each, Hollow point were $3.49 each . Limit of three boxes per visit. . So I got my three. Minimags were $11 per 100 round box, 22 shorts were $11 per hundred round box. Didn't go to the third place where I know there are some 10-22s, I was out of money.

Hamish
01-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. I found a gallon tub of 7.62x39 yesterday,,,,,,

Texas by God
01-26-2021, 11:13 PM
I liked the 7.5x55 cartridge better than the K31 rifles- I had ammo left over as well after the guns were gone down the road. It has so much potential with powder capacity right between the 8x57mm and 30-06- I thought it would be great in a 98 Mauser. It was just a pipe dream because a chambering reamer didn't seem to be available......
I keep all ammo that lands here- never turn down any caliber of ammo- you never know when you'll get a gun that matches it!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

cwtebay
01-26-2021, 11:54 PM
I seem to have 420 rounds of factory 8mm Remington Mag. I've never owned one or even hankered after one. But apparently it sounded like a good idea at some point!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

rockrat
01-27-2021, 12:15 AM
That 8mm Rem mag. stuff might be worth a pretty penny