PDA

View Full Version : Lube froth issue

Shuz
12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Folks I'm experiencing a frothy looking lube in the groove of my 429421 boolits. I had this once before when I used WFFL. What am I doing to cause this? The sizer is a Saeco and no heat has been applied. I started years ago with some GAR 50/50 NRA bricks and melted them down in the microwave. I then poured the liquid 50/50 into pvc pipe and made "sticks". The sticks look the normal color and I thought I "done good". Now when I put the sticks into my sizer and apply pressure with the screw plunger apparatus, I get this lube that looks frothy and kinda grows outta the lube groove! What did I do wrong, and more importantly, how do I correct this situation. Help!--Shuz

Bill*
12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Sounds like somehow pressurized air is being introduced into the lube and acting like an opened soda can when the boolit leaves the sizer???. I could be nuts but that wouldn't be anything new. Not sure what would correct it. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in shortly.

opentop
12-21-2008, 12:00 AM
I was gonna say, I don't have any experience with lubbers, but the problem your describing sounds like it could have excess air in it. I would look for some place that could be pumping air into the lube. Maybe a torn o Ring or seal?

357maximum
12-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I wasn't there when you made the sticks, but I am willing to bet you poured the lube into the moulds when it was almost cold enough to set up. This is where your teeny tiny almost invisible air bubbles most likely came from. Now this is just a WAG on my part, but I have done similar. the trick in pouring sticks is to do it when it is still hot enough to not do the bubbly thing but not so hot as to leak easily from my ill constructed homemade lube moulds. Life has been alot easier since I quit making sticks and fill the sizers with molten lube.

The only other time I have seen streaks in lube coming from the sizer is when I was doing some "dry" lube testing. I would get white chalky looking streaks that were cause by the lube simply shearing from the rubbing by itself in the transformation from reseviour into the lube die and then into the boolits. This was a simple matter of having too little slickums(oils) in the lube itself to let it slide by itself...not a likely case with a 50/50 type lube however. A high stearic/wax to low oil content lube will do this often and unless your 50/50 came with an odd oil to wax ratio, I do not see this happening.

Melt and pour your next sizer full...your issue will likely go bye bye.

mtgrs737
12-21-2008, 01:35 AM
I don't cast sticks, but pour melted lube directly into the lubersizer, no problems with air in the lube.

Shuz
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the replys. I think the first thing I'm gonna do is crank up the lube heater that I use with the Lars Carnauba Red lube and my Lyman 45's and see if the frothing disappears. The interesting facet about this "frothing", is that it occurs about 1 to 2 minutes after the boolit comes outta the lubrisizer. When the boolit first comes out it looks just like they did for many years when I used the Javelina 50/50 product!

If the lube heater doesn't work, I guess I'll resort to boiling the lubrisizer like I've done a couple of other times to remove faulty lubes. I really like the Lars Carnauba Red lube, and I have it in 3 of my other sizers, but I am trying to keep one sizer, the Saeco, for use with a lube that I don't haveta wait for it to heat up! Maybe I just got too many toys, and/or I'm too impatient?

runfiverun
12-22-2008, 09:44 PM
try mixing your 50/50 with lars's carnuba 1 to1 then use just enough heat to get it to flow through your sizer.
my guess is that your wax has dried out some on you and is releasing the trapped air after you lube the boolits.