PDA

View Full Version : Rednecked RCBS JR2....LAWD LAWD LAWD

jimkim
01-25-2021, 03:37 PM
I saw this on FB. I'm hoping the fella didn't buy it. Have any of you ever seen someone do this?

dbosman
01-25-2021, 07:13 PM
How much was being asked for it?

kywoodwrkr
01-25-2021, 09:00 PM
Counter balance and holder for powder measure.
Aren't all presses set up this way?:mrgreen:
Actually might alleviate pain or aid muscles from various maladies.
Tendonitis, arthritis, polio and the list can go on.
Some reloaders will overcome any and all barriers.

rbuck351
01-26-2021, 02:06 AM
It looks like there was no damage to the press and the added parts could be removed if needed. I'm wondering why the elaborate powder thrower holder when all that was needed is the top flat bar inserted under the die nut and then the primer arm is still usable. The counter weight isn't a bad idea to keep the arm from falling down .

jimkim
01-26-2021, 02:06 AM
How much was being asked for it?He didn't say. He was considering buying it for light work.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

jimkim
01-26-2021, 02:08 AM
It looks like there was no damage to the press and the added parts could be removed if needed. I'm wondering why the elaborate powder thrower holder when all that was needed is the top flat bar inserted under the die nut and then the primer arm is still usable. The counter weight isn't a bad idea to keep the arm from falling down .It's missing the front beam/column.

rcslotcar
01-26-2021, 02:16 AM
Keep your fingers clear of that mess!!!

Walks
01-26-2021, 02:41 AM
GEEZ ??!?!?!

That Rube Goldberg thing is gonna give me nightmares tonight.

rbuck351
01-26-2021, 12:38 PM
Oops, forgot those are supposed to be an O press and I have one somewhere. I would be afraid of it for anything but loading pistol rounds or maybe a dedicated deprimer.

mdi
01-26-2021, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, no big deal. Someone attached a mount for their powder measure. Looks real handy (I think a lot of the badmouthing is from guys that wish they had thought of it first). A home made handle and a home made primer catcher probably could have been made prettier, but most single stage presses are designed to assemble handloads and not for "show", lookin' purdy...

Pressman
01-26-2021, 05:49 PM
I have been looking at this for a while. The picture is not clear enough to pinpoint details, but the color is a giveaway. That is a somewhat scarce 1st generation JR2 and the color indicates it is one of the scarce ECHO produced presses.
That is Blasphemy :groner: [smilie=b:

Baltimoreed
01-26-2021, 06:39 PM
I experimented with a bunch of things trying to make my reloading chore easier, never thought of using a counter weight but don’t see how that would help much. Did experiment with a wall mounted rcbs measure that I could operate with a foot pedal. Have added chutes, case kickers and primer arm lever extensions to speed things up. Have Dillon 550 auto measures on my Lyman T2 turret presses, eliminates a step. Lift the case, auto dump the powder, lower the case, move the turret. My hands stay on the turret knob and the ram.

Three44s
01-27-2021, 01:32 AM
The counterweight idea has been on my mind for my presses that tend to drift when my hand is off the handle.

Would never cut the front section of an o-frame press though!

With my RCBS Jr. for the first 35 years of reloading I had it mounted on a homemade stand. To that stand I added a piece of rectangular steel tubing and a pair of set screws. I made a bracket that my powder measure screwed into and a bulk cartridge tray at other times.

Three44s

Winger Ed.
01-27-2021, 01:58 AM
If I chopped off the front of a 'O' frame press, I'd be worried I might lose my place in Heaven.

As to that counter weight:
For sizing-- its about 50 pounds too light to matter.
For seating -- for anyone strong enough to reach up and touch their own nose, it won't matter.
For priming-- it can't be easier enough to notice.

jimkim
01-27-2021, 04:04 AM
I have been looking at this for a while. The picture is not clear enough to pinpoint details, but the color is a giveaway. That is a somewhat scarce 1st generation JR2 and the color indicates it is one of the scarce ECHO produced presses.
That is Blasphemy :groner: [smilie=b:When I saw the script on the frame, my heart sank a little. Those presses have more personality to them, IMHO.

ulav8r
01-27-2021, 08:01 PM
I've considered putting a counterweight or bungee on my Texan c-frame press that has a wedge to make the ram vertical. The handle wants to drop because of the tilt.

No way would I cut off the front of the frame on any O-frame press.

country gent
01-28-2021, 07:56 PM
Ive made measure stands that replace one of the mounting bolts. A bolt .big enough to mount press a length of seamless mechanical tubing. cut tubing to length desired then weld bolt head in one end and face back square and clean up. A bolt can be welded in the other end and washers used with a bushing and nut to mount the flat mount. or 7/8 14 threads attached and 2 jam nuts.polish it up and blue.

If you make your own flat bar make it double ended and it can be rotated to the measure you want to use.

Similar to what the ops shown press has but carried a out a little better