PDA

View Full Version : First Boolits!!! Kinda...

WestKentucky
01-25-2021, 01:37 PM
I got around to a bit of casting yesterday. It was my first try and in very poor conditions, I just wanted to get my first try out of the way and hoped for the best. Time was cut VERY short due to an escaped beagle who had to be found, location and method had to be modified due to weather, and still I gave it a try. Melted 10# on my 110v hot plate. It barely melts, solidifies as soon as it’s out of the puddle. Mold sitting on edge of the hot plate to warm, and coleman torch sitting at an angle out over the pot. The process was scoop, raise to the torch to heat it a bit more, raise mold, then pour the lead into the mold. I had trouble holding enough heat, but I got a few usable pours. The mold was Lee 358-148 tumble lube wadcutters (soup can) and they dropped at .359 and 144 gr. Some rounding of edges likely made up for the 4 gr of weight loss but the bullets are absolutely usable. I have used worse from purchased lead.

I will try to get a pic up. Every time I try it gives an error message.
I have the pics up on THR and I know that the membership base overlaps a bit so you can see the pics there at this link...
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/my-first-cast-bullet.882243/#post-11796895

Ky-Dave
01-25-2021, 02:37 PM
Congratulations! They look good. I’ve just started casting also. Wish I had started sooner.
David

RickinTN
01-25-2021, 02:58 PM
You're going to have to have more heat. I use a 2-burner Coleman propane stove and it works well.
Good Luck,
Rick

mroliver77
01-26-2021, 11:27 AM
I started with a cut down coffee can on an electric hot plate with a Lyman ladle. I have a small cast iron pot that I had the same issues with there not being quite enough heat. The coffee can worked great.
If I am planning a long casting session with alloy hungry molds I will preheat alloy in a coffee can with no problems.
I have a couple of molds that refuse to play nice with a bottom pour pot. I ladle pour them with the ladle tit right in the sprue hole and they are fine.