01-24-2021, 05:09 PM
About a year ago I cast some:

Lee 30 cal 200 round nose
powder coated
water quenched
wheel weights +2% Tin
309 sized
Sorted for weight to within .5 gn

for a fellow reloader. I guess in the bullet shortage he finally decided to load them. This friend until now was strictly jacketed long range shooter. He just wasnt interested in something he thought would only hit 300m.

Well, he called me yesterday excited and somewhat drunk and told me he finally shot them. He shot them from a 300 win mag and got his very first group at 3/4 moa from a ruger hawkeye 1-10 twist i believe and then proceeded to shoot further and further out finally missing only at 1400m. He chronoed them and said at 2950fps no leading but when he pushed to 3100 he started to get leading.

I had told him to start low and i had only pushed them to 2500fps. He went and tossed them in a 300 wm and went straight to 2900 fps. But i have to say I am tickled they did so well for him.

He was a bit drunk, but i dont believe he was telling me a fish tale because he asked when i could send him some more.

What puzzled me was how fast they were rolling. he used 48gn imr 4064 plus mag primer. Which is indeed going light in a 300wm since in my 308 41gn is max load. But with a jacketed round that would only net me 2350ish fps. The lead round must be traveling faster than a jacketed bullet of the same weight for some reason.

So anyway, what i take from this is i can shoot these far harder than i dared to without leading. And they should be good to go in my remington 308 win all the way to the max loading. I will of course test starting low, but its exciting.