PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Utility Electric Melting Furnace

VintageRifle
12-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Hello,

I came across an old Saeco Utility Electric Melting Furnace 20lb pot 1000 watts. There is no thermostat to control temperature. Would this be a good pot and what would be a fair price to offer for it?

http://vintagerifle.net/images/LeadFurnace/SaecoMeltingFurnace.jpg

http://vintagerifle.net/images/LeadFurnace/SaecoMeltingFurnaceLable.jpg

WildmanJack
12-20-2008, 07:38 PM
If It works, I'll take it for $50.00 I really need a new pot.. Let me know what the shipping would be.......
Jack

VintageRifle
12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I worded my post wrong. Should be more on the lines of:

How much should I offer the seller for this pot?

GLL
12-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I would love to own that pot !

I live and ladle cast in Pasadena, California !

Very nice looking unit.

Send me the next one you find. :) :)

Jerry

VintageRifle
12-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Brought it home for $40. The electric pot works very well. Retired the so-so hot plate. It came with a small ladle that I found works better than the Lyman ladle I already have. Basically the same ladle, just a bit smaller and easier to pour with.

VintageRifle
12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Would it be possible to use a dimmer switch to control the temperature?

montana_charlie
12-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I was told the pot has a thermostat...just not one that is externally adjustable.
It's said that the pots lasted so long...essentially forever...because users were unable to fiddle with the heat control.

CM

carpetman
12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
would it be possible to use a dimmer switch? May not be a bright idea.

VintageRifle
12-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Well, been casting with it a bit more. Doesn't seem to get too hot to cause frosted bullets. Was a bit odd seeing a glow from the melt when I turned the lights out. First time I tried that. Very interesting and a good reminder that that lead is HOT!

montana_charlie
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Was a bit odd seeing a glow from the melt when I turned the lights out.
Must be some of that lead that was used for x-ray shielding...
CM

VintageRifle
12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Sure, now you've gotten me worried.

montana_charlie
12-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Sure, now you've gotten me worried.
No need to be...
Casting in darkness, under a harvest moon, while attired in a thong, totally reverses any ill effects of having been exposed to lead used as x-ray shielding.

After one or two casting sessions next fall (when the harvest moon is present) you will probably no longer be able to see the bones glowing in your arms and legs.

It's the moonshine that actually accomplishes the reversal.
If you just can't wait till fall, I understand it is available in jars...
as a clear liquid...usually found in remote areas of the Appalachian states.

CM

VintageRifle
12-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, after you said something about radiation in hospital lead. I did a web search for info on it. In 1996 or 97 the FDA sent out a notice that some radiation shielding equipment was contaminated with radioactive materials. The amount of radiation produced was small, but it was recommended to contact the manufacture of the shielding equipment for a replacement.

Anyway...

Echo
12-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Most dimmers are only raated about 650-750 watts, but I'll bet that a heavier-duty one is available somewhere - I just don't know where.

And if it has an internal thermostat - Hmmm - may still be able to use an external control.

Dale53
12-25-2008, 12:04 PM
I have had a Saeco Utility pot for many, many years. When I was casting in great quantities at one sitting, I would alloy in the Saeco and could do continuous casting by replentishing the RCBS bottom pour as I went. Really good equipment.

When I bought mine I made a tactical error. I bought one with out the thermostat (for extra cost you could get the adjustable thermostat). Without the thermostat you have to plug and unplug to control the heat. It worked ok but would have been better with a therm.

The rheostat (if it is rated at enough wattage) will work, after a fashion. A rheostat just limits the voltage to the pot and does not cycle. It will be considerably better than nothing but not as good as a thermostat.

FWIW

Dale53

montana_charlie
12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
When I bought mine I made a tactical error. I bought one with out the thermostat (for extra cost you could get the adjustable thermostat). Without the thermostat you have to plug and unplug to control the heat. It worked ok but would have been better with a therm.
Dale,
If the non-adjustable Saeco does not have something which limits maximum temperature, history would be rife with tales of melted vessels, burnt out elements, and disgruntled users.
What maximum temperature will that pot maintain if left plugged in?
CM

Dale53
12-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I've never checked mine to see exactly what the temperature would get to. However, I CAN tell you that it will get hotter than I like molten lead to get.

I don't know if there is a limit switch or not (never had mine apart) but it still gets hotter than I want if left on.

Dale53

VintageRifle
12-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Right now I just have it plugged into a wall switch extension setup I have mounted on the wall. I just turn it off when I feel the pot is getting too hot. The suggestion of a dimmer switch came up in a discussion with a shooting buddy. I do like this pot. I think it is time to get a lead thermometer.

Just out of curiosity, would a 200-1000 degree stainless steel BBQ Thermometer work for checking the temperature of molten lead? I do not see any real difference other than the RCBS thermometer comes with a wire handle and says RCBS on it.

Info on the thermometer: Tel Tru BBQ Smoker / Grill thermometer
This is a 2" BBQ thermometer that is very well made
Green Egg or Kamado thermometer, pan clip, LT225R, 5” stem, 200/1000F, boxed
BBQ-TT-200-5-200/1000

cajun shooter
12-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Don't know about your BBQ thermometer but go on the net and find a company by the name of TRU-Temp. They are based in NY. I ordered one from them about a year ago that goes from 200-1000 for $35 in stainless. They custom make all orders and I bought the 6in model. Great place to deal with.

VintageRifle
12-26-2008, 10:21 AM
cajun shooter. I believe that is the name of the company I was looking at last year. Deleted all my bookmarks by mistake once and lost it. The name and website are very familiar. Thanks a bunch!

montana_charlie
12-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I did a Google for Tru-Temp thermometers.

I find a line called 'Tru-Temp' made by Taylor's, and their 'consumer' products are carried by places such as Target, etc. Not much hard information on the manufacturer's website...and no price indications. They do have some 'industrial' offerings, but information is even scantier.

Also found a place called Tel-Tru. They make thermometers to order. Lots of information available regarding parameters and specifications. http://www.teltru.com/

There was one interesting thing, though...
On each listing which showed a unit geared for use in the 200° to 1000° range there was an asterisk beside that line item. Dropping down to find the meaning of the asterisk yielded this note...
* Thermometers with temperature ranges 200/1000° F and 100/550° C are NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CONTINUOUS USE ABOVE 800° F/425° C (FOR INTERMITTENT USE ONLY).

I wonder if that is actually applicable to ALL thermometers of this general style, regardless of maker...hmm.

Another interesting thing to wonder about...
These have a groove around the shaft which corresponds to the top of the bi-metal coil inside. You must insert the probe to the groove to get the most accurate reading.

If a guy is measureing his alloy temp, and the level drops as he casts, the entire bi-metal coil may not be submerged except at the very beginning.
Could this account for comments that indicate the melt temperature changes as the level drops?

Seems like a probe that has the whole coil in the bottom two inches...even if the probe length is six inches...would be more useful to us. Since Tel-Tru units are 'made-to-order', perhaps this arrangement is possible...think?

And then...there are the 'remote-mount, gas-actuated' thermometers. If I have the right idea of how they work, a long probe (with a bulb on the end) could be inserted in a pot, and bent to keep the dial out of the way...but still reading. Units of this type come in a 400-1200F temperature range.
CM

VintageRifle
12-26-2008, 05:59 PM
You are finding the same information I am. The Tel-Tru thermometers is the maker of the BBQ thermometer I am looking at. One website goes into a bit of discussion on the intermediate usage above 800°F but does not comment further on why it is not a good idea. I am wondering if the thermometer actually starts to break down at the higher temps.

I believe the notch is about 2.5 inches from the bottom of the thermometer's stem. This looks to be a problem for what I want to use it for. I will have to do a bit more research on the Lyman and RCBS thermometers to see if they do not have this limitation (which I believe they do, but a lower level of alloy can be used).

VintageRifle
12-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Found a bit more information on why not to use over 800°F for extended periods of time. It will damage the bi-metal sending sending unit.