PDA

View Full Version : Had a PC idea.

Bazoo
01-23-2021, 04:24 PM
If one was to take powder coat powder and mix it in beeswax + something to soften it, would it act as a lube? Would it offer any of the PC benefits? What if it was mixed as thick as one could make it; maximum powder in the mix? Anyone ever try this?

ChuckO
01-24-2021, 11:17 AM
I think that the only benefit that you would get is an increased opportunity to clean guns, reloading dies and indoor ranges.

Powder coating gives it's benefits from forming a polymer shell bonded to the bullet.

bangerjim
01-24-2021, 01:07 PM
PC works ONLY after it is fully baked correctly and cured!!!! Not in it's powdered form. In fact, it could be abrasive when not fused into that smooth glass-like coating we all love and enjoy.

Why mess with success? Either you PC or grease lube. Some feel it necessary to put a lube on top of the PC after curing....total wast of time.

GregLaROCHE
01-24-2021, 04:09 PM
Don’t do it!

CarlMc
01-24-2021, 07:54 PM
The powder used in PC is plastic. Polymer is just a fancier word for plastic. The bullet coating works when the evenly distributed particles melt together to form a solid coating. Any time you contaminate that melting process it won’t work the same way as a solid plastic.

Bazoo
01-24-2021, 09:49 PM
My thinking is, that with a lubed bullet, the lube is essentially pressed and spun out of the groove, coating the bore and bullet bearing surfaces. If that had PC dust in it, would it have any effect? I'm tempted to make a few and try, say maybe twelve. I ain't fraid of leading, I'll just shoot some GC bullets if need be then clean.

I'm not saying that it's going to work either, but who would have thought PC would have worked at all till they tried it?

bangerjim
01-24-2021, 10:16 PM
My thinking is, that with a lubed bullet, the lube is essentially pressed and spun out of the groove, coating the bore and bullet bearing surfaces. If that had PC dust in it, would it have any effect? I'm tempted to make a few and try, say maybe twelve. I ain't fraid of leading, I'll just shoot some GC bullets if need be then clean.

I'm not saying that it's going to work either, but who would have thought PC would have worked at all till they tried it?

Go ahead and try it. Experimentation is the bread of life. Just do not ask us to come and scrub Pb out of your barrels out when you are done!!!!!!!!!

Gee_Wizz01
01-25-2021, 04:48 AM
My concern is PC powder left in the bore might adhere to your bore during shooting. The hot gases and bore friction could possibly cure the PC leaving it stuck in your bore. If it did stick to the bore would imagine it would be a devil to remove.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Petander
01-25-2021, 05:22 AM
Uncured PC will coat the barrel when fired.

It is very,very hard to remove.

Bazoo
01-25-2021, 03:56 PM
I had not considered that. Thanks for the warning. Would shooting gas checked bullets remove it? If it was just in the bore, it'd probably shoot out after a while? If it was in the forcing cone, and cylinder throats and chamber leads...that would thoroughly suck.

Would not the beeswax / lube carrier prevent it's adhering to the bore?

I'll have to give it considerable more thought.

slide
01-25-2021, 05:50 PM
Why don't you powder coat as usual and then put lube in the groove.