PDA

View Full Version : New Lee Dies Have New Lock Rings

jonp
01-22-2021, 06:20 PM
Just got a set of 357 Mag Lee Carbide and noticed the new lock rings. When did they change the design?

daengmei
01-22-2021, 07:18 PM
Early 2020, this link...https://ultimatereloader.com/2020/03/16/new-die-lock-rings-from-lee-precision/

jonp
01-22-2021, 07:43 PM
Thanks. I watch Gavin and he is one of my follows. Must have missed that one

onelight
01-22-2021, 10:41 PM
I like the new rings very convenient on a turret or progressive press.

Garyshome
01-22-2021, 10:58 PM
Lee seems to be the industry innovators. There doesn't seem to be anyone with a lineup like Lee.

Steve Steven
01-24-2021, 12:25 AM
I like the new rings, just wish I could get the wrench without having to get 3 more rings.

Steve

William Yanda
01-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Its from Lee, it MUST be HORRID!!!

Shepherd2
01-24-2021, 10:49 AM
I like the new rings, just wish I could get the wrench without having to get 3 more rings.

Steve

I ordered the wrench separately from Midway.

bedbugbilly
01-24-2021, 11:25 AM
I use a lot of Lee stuff so I'm not knocking them at all - but personally, I don't like the new lockings - probably because fo the way I load. I use their 4 hole classic turret press - love it and have different turret plates set up for different cartridges (mostly Lee dies) so once the dies are set up on the plate, they stay set up. Here in AZ, I use a single stage press. I bought probably four different Lee die sets in the past few months - all have the new rings. The first thing I do is take 'em off and put on a lock ring so that once the die is set up in the single stage - it's no trick to switch dies out for different operations and when a die is switched out, it is already in adjustment with a lock ring.

new design of lock rings + sales of new wrenches to fit them - so Lee is thinking ahead

I wonder if others will redesign their's at some point - just how many times can you redesign the wheel though

jaguarxk120
01-24-2021, 11:30 AM
Look's like they will work great with Chan-el-locks just great.
Or better still Vice-Grips!

1bluehorse
01-24-2021, 11:31 AM
I use a lot of Lee stuff so I'm not knocking them at all - but personally, I don't like the new lockings - probably because fo the way I load. I use their 4 hole classic turret press - love it and have different turret plates set up for different cartridges (mostly Lee dies) so once the dies are set up on the plate, they stay set up. Here in AZ, I use a single stage press. I bought probably four different Lee die sets in the past few months - all have the new rings. The first thing I do is take 'em off and put on a lock ring so that once the die is set up in the single stage - it's no trick to switch dies out for different operations and when a die is switched out, it is already in adjustment with a lock ring.

new design of lock rings + sales of new wrenches to fit them - so Lee is thinking ahead

I wonder if others will redesign their's at some point - just how many times can you redesign the wheel though

The new Lee lock rings I have are a locking type. They are split ring with a screw. Work just like any other brand of split lock ring. The ones I don't care for are RCBS that run the lock screw into the threads.

jonp
01-24-2021, 04:42 PM
I must do it different from those here but I have found that I can hand tighten the rings with the O-ring and they don't move.

1hole
01-24-2021, 05:29 PM
Ditto.

jetinteriorguy
01-24-2021, 09:29 PM
The new Lee lock rings I have are a locking type. They are split ring with a screw. Work just like any other brand of split lock ring. The ones I don't care for are RCBS that run the lock screw into the threads.
The trick here is to put a couple #8 shot BB’s between the set screw and the threads of the die. This way the threads aren’t deformed by the set screw, and you can safely replace the brass set screw with a steel one so it won’t strip out.

Prairie Cowboy
01-24-2021, 09:50 PM
Lock rings with a lock screw? This is revolutionary!

Trust Lee to innovate.

When will the other makers follow suit? :mrgreen:

The Dar
01-25-2021, 08:13 PM

Steve

Natches had the wrench available separately. Not sure if they still offer it by itself. I ordered 4 sets of rings and two wrenches. Set up some RCBS 44-40 dies on a classic turret this weekend using the new lock rings. The bees knees.

rondog
01-25-2021, 08:19 PM
I need one of these wrenches.....

Oh wait, I have the plastic piece o' crap, I need a REAL wrench, made of metal.

jetinteriorguy
01-25-2021, 09:02 PM
Lock rings with a lock screw? This is revolutionary!

Trust Lee to innovate.

When will the other makers follow suit? :mrgreen:

The dies don’t come with the split lock ring, you can purchase them separately. They come with the same O-ring set up but are no longer a hex shape for a wrench, they are a spline design making hand tightening much easier.

farmbif
01-25-2021, 09:21 PM
does this mean all my old lee die sets are useless antiques that have to be replaced?

smithnframe
01-25-2021, 09:36 PM
I don’t like the new ones or the old ones........... I replace them with lock rings from Fastenal.

megasupermagnum
01-25-2021, 10:15 PM
I've got one die set with the new style rings. I loved the old style rings, and the new style is pretty much the same. I don't use a wrench with either, I have always done it the way the instructions tell you to. I load on different presses, and am always making adjustments. The new rings are designed so they fit in a tighter space, presumably a crowded progressive press. Nothing more, nothing less. For most of us, the new style works exactly the same as the old.

jetinteriorguy
01-26-2021, 04:05 PM
I've got one die set with the new style rings. I loved the old style rings, and the new style is pretty much the same. I don't use a wrench with either, I have always done it the way the instructions tell you to. I load on different presses, and am always making adjustments. The new rings are designed so they fit in a tighter space, presumably a crowded progressive press. Nothing more, nothing less. For most of us, the new style works exactly the same as the old.
Actually the new style are much easier to tighten down and loosen up by hand, easier to get a grip on. As far as how they fit on a progressive press, on my Lee Classic cast turret they have pretty much the same clearance, maybe just slightly better but not a big deal.

mdi
01-26-2021, 04:27 PM
The trick here is to put a couple #8 shot BB’s between the set screw and the threads of the die. This way the threads aren’t deformed by the set screw, and you can safely replace the brass set screw with a steel one so it won’t strip out.
Or you could buy the proper set screw. Available at most any hardware store and easier to find than #8 shot; https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-tip-set-screws/

pastera
01-26-2021, 04:50 PM
I need one of these wrenches.....

Oh wait, I have the plastic piece o' crap, I need a REAL wrench, made of metal.

Have both the Lee plastic wrench and one I 3d printed - both are more than strong enough

A metal copy wouldn't be hard to make but I doubt there would be a large enough demand to setup production

megasupermagnum
01-26-2021, 10:10 PM
Actually the new style are much easier to tighten down and loosen up by hand, easier to get a grip on. As far as how they fit on a progressive press, on my Lee Classic cast turret they have pretty much the same clearance, maybe just slightly better but not a big deal.

I never had any issues on my Pro 1000 either. It only goes to reason that Lee would design their presses to fit their dies. I'm not sure what presses were so tight a lee lock ring was an issue, that was the rumor I heard. That's good the new style is easier for some to grip. I figured they went to the spline style so they could use the wrench on presses that fingers are too big. Sounds like a win-win-win.

onelight
01-27-2021, 12:29 AM
With 3 dies on the 1000 was no problem it's the 4 die tool heads that are tight . It's not that the old style won't work they will , but the new style is simpler to use.

gwpercle
01-27-2021, 07:47 PM
Look's like they will work great with Chan-el-locks just great.
Or better still Vice-Grips!

LIKE ! LIKE ! LIKE !
Had to hit our like button three times ... Good One !!!

tankgunner59
01-27-2021, 09:18 PM
I wasn't excited about them at first. Then I got my new 6.5 Creedmoor dies back in January '20 and they came with the new lock rings. So I bought the wrench at the same time. After getting the 6.4CM dies set up on the turret, I bought more of the lock rings for my other dies. They and the wrench are welcome additions to my reloading gear.

robg
01-30-2021, 07:36 AM
i like the o-ring old lee lock rings ,why do you want to use a spanner?

onelight
01-30-2021, 10:56 AM
i like the o-ring old lee lock rings ,why do you want to use a spanner?

Because there is not room to get a grip on them on some presses , just easier to use , the new ones also have the o-ring .
You don't have to worry about over tightening with the little plastic spanner :)

Baltimoreed
01-30-2021, 11:13 AM
I recycled all the old aluminum rings with the rubber o ring and put steel rings [that actually do tighten to the die] on the few lee dies that I use. I can set them once and the adjustment cannot change. While I like the lee seating die with its big knob on top I hate the deprimer/expander collet. Resized almost 500 pcs of .38 spcl yesterday and the thing would gradually back up until it wouldn’t push the primer out of the case all the way. I tried to tighten it and I couldn’t move the collet so I took my small hammer and tapped it down. Had to do it a couple times. Dumb system imo.

onelight
01-30-2021, 11:38 AM
I recycled all the old aluminum rings with the rubber o ring and put steel rings [that actually do tighten to the die] on the few lee dies that I use. I can set them once and the adjustment cannot change. While I like the lee seating die with its big knob on top I hate the deprimer/expander collet. Resized almost 500 pcs of .38 spcl yesterday and the thing would gradually back up until it wouldn’t push the primer out of the case all the way. I tried to tighten it and I couldn’t move the collet so I took my small hammer and tapped it down. Had to do it a couple times. Dumb system imo.
After the first slip I put them back in position and tighten them more , with good wrenches to the point of feeling I am gonna break something :) and they will still slip with the occasional LR case in the bottom of something . They are all I have used for many years I de-cap everything with the Lee universal de-capping die. But it does not feel normal to tighten them as tight as I do.

osage
01-31-2021, 12:50 PM
I only have one new style ring that came on a new die I used for bugle busting. I didn't have any issues with it.
As far as collet in universal de-capping die I ended up torquing at 12 foot pounds when doing crimped primers with squirrel daddy replacement pin.

shampine
02-02-2021, 06:30 PM
I like the old and the new . The new style with splines/wrench work well in tight quarters when it's hard to get enough finger grip .

megasupermagnum
02-02-2021, 09:28 PM
After the first slip I put them back in position and tighten them more , with good wrenches to the point of feeling I am gonna break something :) and they will still slip with the occasional LR case in the bottom of something . They are all I have used for many years I de-cap everything with the Lee universal de-capping die. But it does not feel normal to tighten them as tight as I do.

I don't understand why certain people have issues with the de capping die, and most do not. I wish I could help, but I have not had the issue. I've had to tighten some, sure, but I've never had to crank one to where I thought something would break. I keep forgetting to take count, but I had a large number of Lee die sets. They are all I buy anymore. You shouldn't have to crank on them. All I ever use is whatever wrench fits the nut, and an adjustable to fit the flat of the die. I put them in a press, and tighten them there. The only time they slip is when they hit something. It took me a while to figure out why I started randomly having it happen on a 45 acp. It turns out that some of the brass had the hole drilled so far off center as to actually start bending the pin. After I discarded that brand of brass, that fixed it, and I was able to straighten, and keep using that decapper.