PDA

View Full Version : Stag handled knife

GOPHER SLAYER
01-22-2021, 04:28 PM
I bought this old meat carving knife in an estate sale over the weekend for $!.50. It was made by Shapleigh a very long time ago. The color of the stag handle has faded so much, it gives it the look of old wood, at least in the picture. It has a silver bolster instead of a hilt. The knife looks more like it belongs on an some old battle field instead of the kitchen.

Buzz Krumhunger
01-22-2021, 04:30 PM
Nice knife

gwpercle
01-22-2021, 06:59 PM
LIKE !

At one time that carving knife probably was part of a matching set and had had a Large Serving Fork .
They usually came in a matching set and if really fancy the set had a matching antler handle sharpening steel with the set .
I've always had an interest in these old carving sets and your Knife appears to be an old one ...
Very Nice Score ,
Gary

gbrown
01-22-2021, 07:07 PM
When I was 10 or 11, we lived in Dover, Delaware for a year while Dad was closing out a job. We went to a lot of estate sales in the area, and Dad picked up several sets of these. Knife, Fork and steel. All the forks had pivotable guards or stops on them, which I had never seen. Alas, they disappeared over the years. They were very nice sets. I never paid attention to the makers.

fcvan
01-22-2021, 07:18 PM
My grandfather had a set of knives similar to the picture, which my Dad now has. Grand Dad (1908-1998) may have gotten them from his father (1873-1956) and those knives went west in the dust bowl migration. Dad uses that knife set daily, and has collected many old knives at estate sales. Before they moved from the farm to town, their huge kitchen had a legit butcher's block in the middle of the kitchen, right next to the cream separator and the wood stove.

Mom and Dad like it when I visit because I always hone the edges on the antique steel which was part of the set. Dad can do it just fine but I think he likes watching me give the blades the kind of care they deserve.

John Wayne
01-22-2021, 09:42 PM
The Gophers are in trouble now!:violin:

richhodg66
01-23-2021, 07:20 AM
Very nice piece.

Gewehr-Guy
01-23-2021, 09:35 AM
If I had that old knife I would shorten about 1/3 of the blade and change the nose profile to make a most elegant camp knife !

GOPHER SLAYER
01-23-2021, 03:50 PM
I have many old knives that were used in the kitchen. Some were bought in yard sales because they were cheap, like .50 cents each, others because of the handles. The first picture shows a mother of pearl grip on one knife. It had a full blade when I bought it. I broke the tip off using the knife to pry open a box. The bottom knife in the second picture was also made by Shapleigh. It was in my families kitchen for many years. I brought it home with me after my father passed. It was made the year I was born and is marked, 1843-1934. I have many other kitchen knives that I haven't shown. I can't sharpen any of them.