PDA

View Full Version : Auto Ordnance M1 carbine

sghart3578
01-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Howdy neighbors,

I am about to take possession of a new Auto Ordnance M1 carbine. I bought it from the original owner who never fired it. He says it is a new production from last year.

I have never cast or reloaded for 30 Carbine ammo so I read through multiple threads and came up with a plan. I bought the Lee C309-120-2R mold and the Lee 311-100-2R mold. I gas checked the 120 grain bullets. I sized both to .309 and lubed them.

I then loaded a few rounds of each with various powders so I think that I am ready.

My questions is: All of my reading is based on GI issue M1's. Is there anything unique to the Auto Ordnance rifles that I have to watch for? I know it's not a military rifle but any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Steve in N CA

John Wayne
01-22-2021, 01:52 PM
Well there are men here that will post much more valuable info than mine but, I would have used dead soft lead to slug the throat area, not the whole barrel, and measure that slug before deciding on sizing issues. You may get lucky and find one or both of your choices are good enough but not perfect.

1hole
01-22-2021, 03:37 PM
My old military M1 Carbine did quite well with Lyman's moderately hard 120 RN GC over 14/H110 and lightly crimped into the proper groove. I sized them to .308 and lubed 'em with the original NRA formula lube, 50/50 Alox and beeswax; they fed and shot very well. I doubt your excellent little Auto-Ordnance rifle's needs would be any different.