PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced by Google

gwpercle
01-22-2021, 12:41 PM
I haven't been on site for a few days and now there is a small banner , on right side of the screen , with the notice ... " Enhanced by Google "
is the "Man" ...( new leadership) ... listening to what I say ... what does it all mean ... are we now the enemy of the state ? I had heard Google wasn't our friends ... but I don't know squat about the meaning of "Enhanced" .
Anyone have a clue ?
Gary

MrWolf
01-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Noticed the same thing but mine is on the right side just above Advanced Search.

marlin39a
01-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Yes, I’ve seen that for awhile now. On my iPad, it interferes with advanced search. Google is not a friend. I recently deleted my YouTube account, and my Google account. It wasn’t easy. I have been using ExpressVPN to browse, and have been looking at the dark web. I fear that’s where conservative ideas and firearms talk are headed.

Scrounge
01-22-2021, 01:00 PM
Noticed the same thing but mine is on the right side just above Advanced Search.

I turned the Brave shields back on, and specifically blocked scripts to make it go away. Now I'll see if this interferes with my use of the site. I've had the shields off up until now for CB.

kerplode
01-22-2021, 01:08 PM
That's the search bar. The "Enhanced by Google" thing is because the site search function uses google.

Dunross
01-22-2021, 01:11 PM
Yes, the "enhanced by Google" banner nearly blocks the advanced search feature on my desk-top screen as well and makes it difficult to reach on my phone. The board search feature works better in my opinion.

SSGOldfart
01-22-2021, 01:27 PM
And Big Brother is always Watching ��

John Wayne
01-22-2021, 01:41 PM
Yes the "enhanced by google" is new. You should know that they record everything here for later use. Those of you that post pics of their guns or loading rooms, well, they have it. Loose lips sink ships!

waksupi
01-22-2021, 01:55 PM
It means we are using Google search as we always have.

Thumbcocker
01-22-2021, 01:59 PM

Darn it! I thought I was important enough to be monitored by the govmint .

square butte
01-22-2021, 02:29 PM
Why the heck are we still using Google when we know who they are and what they do? Is there not an option that is less nefarious?

kerplode
01-22-2021, 02:34 PM
Probably falls into the same category as why we don't have SSL enabled...This is how it is and the management doesn't feel it's necessary to do something different.

Site search here has pretty much always been google-base, btw. At least for as long as I've been around anyway.

Don't worry about it too much. You're already on all the lists...

Rcmaveric
01-22-2021, 02:58 PM
I am personally trying to stay off big brothers watch list. No one likes a nosey neighbor.

We can disagree with Google but their search algorithms are excellent. Their search engine is bought advertising and bias, but its no worse than weeding out the BS found while using others.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Scrounge
01-22-2021, 03:07 PM

Might want to switch to DuckDuckGo or Dogpile. IMO DuckDuckGo works much better. Dogpile is a search engine of search engines. Google is liable to bar you (and us) any day now, and they definitely skew their search results to people who pay them. And I've been on the lists a lot longer than I've been a member here.

Pressman
01-22-2021, 03:30 PM
It's the new Google search bar. Run your mouse over it, to the right and click the box to open the search window.

Winger Ed.
01-22-2021, 03:45 PM
The Aussies are about to hurt Google in their wallet.

Rather than pay for certain content/links they share, Google has threatened to shut down its search engine in Australia.
I tried to read the article about it over on Citizen Free Press without smiling, but couldn't.

Win94ae
01-22-2021, 03:50 PM
That's the search bar. The "Enhanced by Google" thing is because the site search function uses google.

Now I know why the search function doesn't work.

Win94ae
01-22-2021, 03:53 PM

You know google has algorithms geared to not find relevant firearms related searches. And I don't know anyone who was able to find content they've searched for. Do you see a pattern?

gbrown
01-22-2021, 04:04 PM
I search on my computer all the time, using Google, and never have had a problem finding shooting, weapon info, or reloading stuff on it. That is, if I can figure out what it is, exactly. What's the thread? My mind is going? Can't remember.

MrWolf
01-22-2021, 06:17 PM
I switched over to Duck awhile ago. I also put a piece of dark tape over my tablet and notebook web cams. To many stories of big brother watching to take a chance. Tin foil? Dunno but real easy to do.

jonp
01-22-2021, 06:22 PM

Mine is suddenly a different design. From the old white bar it went to a larger bar almost blocking out the "advanced search" and has two vertical lines in the middle of it.

jonp
01-22-2021, 06:24 PM
The Aussies are about to hurt Google in their wallet.

Rather than pay for certain content/links they share, Google has threatened to shut down its search engine in Australia.
I tried to read the article about it over on Citizen Free Press without smiling, but couldn't.

Europe is heading down that same path. Poland is about to become Facebooks least best friend.

gwpercle
01-22-2021, 06:50 PM

Yes , it's on the right side of my screen too . Looks like it covers the old "Advanced Search" window .
All this has left me not knowing my left from my right . Technology frightens me ... I will just not go there .
Gary

John Wayne
01-22-2021, 09:48 PM
We have used duck duck go for several years now to prevent spying. No choice here though.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Mine is suddenly a different design. From the old white bar it went to a larger bar almost blocking out the "advanced search" and has two vertical lines in the middle of it.

Yes, it changed a few weeks ago.
It use to say "Google Custom Search" and a white window to type you keywords into.
Now, just click on "enhanced by Google" to open the window for Google's custom search.
It is a very simple version of search and many times works better than the advanced search.
...BUT yes, Google does collect search data, where as the Advanced Search is only within this website's software and doesn't collect search data, as I understand it.

Shawlerbrook
01-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Google or not, if we are on the web using any technology, someone is watching.

David2011
01-23-2021, 08:01 PM
There are choices for how you search this site. First, I didn’t know why anyone would use anything “Google” that can be avoided. They’re the biggest data mining organization in the world outside of the US government (or maybe the Chinese). You can search this site from any search engine including Dogpile, Duckduckgo, Bing, etc. by simply typing “castboolits [item you’re searching]” without the quote marks. To exclude other sites in the top returns you can type: site:castboolits.gunloads.com [what you’re looking for] without the brackets. It’s a pain to type that much but it’s an option. It’s how I find old threads and it works well.

bedbugbilly
01-24-2021, 10:33 AM
I noticed it after I had to do an upgrade download on my Mac Laptop - and yes - "Big
Brother" is watching - as well as Biden's good buddies in Red China I'm sure.

waksupi
01-24-2021, 02:27 PM
I suspect the change in image is a coding problem on Willie's end.

imashooter2
01-24-2021, 07:03 PM
You know google has algorithms geared to not find relevant firearms related searches. And I don't know anyone who was able to find content they've searched for. Do you see a pattern?

It’s a front door to a custom search of the Castboolits site. I find the things I’m searching for on a regular basis.

nicholst55
01-27-2021, 12:08 AM
Get AdBlock (or Brave web browser), and that stuff doesn't clutter up your screen.

.429&H110
01-27-2021, 02:54 PM
Excellent book:
"Life After Google"
points out
"If the service is free, then you are the product"

I recently searched everything ever written here about Green Dot.
Took all afternoon to read half of it.
I started here searching everything about H110.
That search took most of the year 2010.
Thanks for the education!
Powder manufacturers don't seem to shoot much.