PDA

View Full Version : Screws stuck in mold

bishopgrandpa
01-21-2021, 08:32 PM
I bought thru our S&S a 2 cav NOE aluminum mold (supposedly new-not used) and wanted to changed the HP pins. The screws holding the bracket that holds the pins are so tight I cannot loosen them. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

ShooterAZ
01-21-2021, 08:39 PM
The first thing I would try is add a little heat to it. If you have a hotplate, give it one cycle and see if the screws will break loose.

country gent
01-22-2021, 12:05 AM
several things to try when screws are tight.One is a driver and some tight tapping while turning, if slots you need a tight fitting screw driver. If hex this is trickier.Nextis to use a drill press to drive the screw. Will give the way for each now.

Tapping.

Lock blocks in a padded solid vise
Grind a tight fitting bit
while turning tap on back of screwdriver with a medium weight hammer.
If hex bits you need to make a t handle up.

Drill press.

Clamp blocks in drill press vise and line up clamping down tight.
Grind a bit insert to fit and mount in chuck tight.
If the drill keys handle isnt a snug fit in chucks holes find a piece of round stock that is
While holding down pressure on the spindle turn with rod and other hand

Winger Ed.
01-22-2021, 12:08 AM
^^^this^^^^

I have also done it with heating the mold-- or whatever to where its it little too hot to hold barehanded.

Minerat
01-22-2021, 12:19 AM
Call Al at NOE and ask him. Don't email, call he will answer phone or call you back. Heat might help then a little spru plate oil on threads before re tightening.

Rcmaveric
01-22-2021, 05:48 AM
Impact bits. You smack the handle it breaks torque. Really usefully for stuck small fasteners

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

trapper9260
01-22-2021, 06:04 AM
I say like stated, put on a hot plate to heat it and see if that will work , if not . Call Al he will let you know what to do. The idea of use of the oil is a plus . 2 cycle oil will work too.

bangerjim
01-22-2021, 03:39 PM
Heat will do amazing things for stuck metals! Try it. You want to cool the screw down by putting a COLD (from the freezer) screwdriver blade in the screw for a short time. That way the screw will shrink and the mold will stay hot and should release. Work FAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Works for me! I never use impact driver on small things like mold screws. Too easy to break the off.

robg
01-23-2021, 06:12 AM
an impact driver is bound to wreck it .an old mechanic showed me the way to do it.get a blunt drift ,1 tap on head of screw ,put screwdriver in should just undo .

bishopgrandpa
01-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Heat didn't work. Called NOE. He said send it to them and they will have a look even though I didn't get it from them.

Minerat
01-23-2021, 03:30 PM
Kind of thought that might happen. Al will make it good.