PDA

View Full Version : Prepare for your range experience before you go!

Fireball 57
01-21-2021, 07:45 PM
Our shooting club has just surpassed one thousand members. While it is encouraging to see the club grow with new members and families, I see an alarming trend. More and more members are NOT preparing their equipment, watching the conduct of their children and NOT following safe firearm practices. I have given my last pair of ear plugs to individuals coming to the firing range without ear protection. I raised two daughters, that craved pretty dresses and boyfriends before going with Dad to the range. I will help instruct new shooters, if asked, but will not continue to watch someone's children running on the range behind me as I touch off a shot, politely telling clueless parents this is not permitted. Staplers, need staples and targets need attending BEFORE you get to the range. Today, an old geezer decided he wanted to go home, telling no one, he walked out passed the firing line twenty feet(!) before I could stop him as everyone was firing their weapons. We have a light flashing system. He was indignant that I stopped him. I just hope the next batch of shooters read the rules before coming to shoot with me, AND WATCH WHERE YOU POINT THE MUZZLE OF THAT GUN!

john.k
01-21-2021, 08:01 PM
When I started shooting ,there was zero tolerance for anyone breaking the range rules.......shooters were shown the gate for even touching a gun or ammo in a ceasefire/target check period.......Now ,there are teens who dont even bother listening to the range officers (yep ,range now needs three ROs to keep an eye on all the goings on)......I was told at a comittee meeting ......"typically ,family with parents ,couple of teens spends $250 in one four hour visit.....end of story."

Winger Ed.
01-21-2021, 09:01 PM
Whew. Our rangemaster here is a old Army Viet Nam vet that has zero tolerance for safety violations.

Depending on what it is, after the 2nd warning, and sometimes instantly, you're gone- never to be allowed back.

Three44s
01-21-2021, 09:06 PM
I predicted this! There is going to be a serious injury or death and the Left is going to use this to demean our hobby!

Soooo many noobs with guns and no upbringing with firearms!

Glad I shoot on my own property with no “competition” except for invited ones!

Three44s

nawagner
01-21-2021, 10:46 PM
I predicted this! There is going to be a serious injury or death and the Left is going to use this to demean our hobby!

Soooo many noobs with guns and no upbringing with firearms!

Glad I shoot on my own property with no “competition” except for invited ones!

Three44s

This is exactly why we need to be patient and help others learn by teaching. All of us were there once. I know I spend quite a bit of time at the range helping others, teaching the rules, etc. It just be your own life you save by teaching safety!

And yeah, I’m guilty of heading to the range and not realizing I was out of staples... Now I have a box of 1000 in the range bag!!

contender1
01-21-2021, 11:08 PM
As an instructor, I have been contacted by many, many new shooters lately.
We MUST,, as responsible gun owners do all we can to educate AND enforce SAFETY upon new folks. Prove the anti's wrong,, that we are not knuckle dragging neanderthals.

john.k
01-21-2021, 11:16 PM
One time ,they had an open day,and hundreds turned up cause free ammo was offered to tryout....Range officers had no hope of keeping tabs on everyone ,and some character decided to hide behind the 100 yd mound ,while shooting was going on......he had enough sense not to stick his head up ,and next cease fire ,I was first out heading for 200,and I see this guy crouched behind the 100.......went over ,and he didnt talk English,and seems a package tour group had dropped him off with a couple of others who wanted to have a free shoot....No interpreter ,no guide ,just dropped at the range ,picked up again later ......at least they had earplugs.

john.k
01-21-2021, 11:32 PM
My experience is no one under sixty seems to think rules apply to them ,or that anyone should be telling them what to do ,or that they should listen to what they are told by a person in authority.......something Ive heard dozens of time "You arent the boss of me".

kerplode
01-21-2021, 11:50 PM
I'm at the point where I nearly always shoot alone. Once in a rare while, I'll go with a friend, but generally I'll only go to the range in off hours and if someone shows up while I'm there, I pack my stuff and head home. Oh, and I never, ever, shoot at public ranges anymore.

Don't have any tolerance for noob shenanigans, unsafe idiots, Chatty Kathys, or nosy boomers and their unsolicited advice.

Yeah, I know I'm not being a good ambassador for our sport/hobby/lifestyle. I just can't take getting muzzled by some doofus that wants to argue when you correct them. Or being down range checking targets with a "cold" line only to look back to see some fool behind his rifle. Or having to sit through some old guy droning on about some BS while my daylight burns away. I just can't...Not anymore.

tankgunner59
01-22-2021, 12:21 AM
This seems really odd to me, as I shoot on state owned gun ranges. There are no RO's and we all work together to keep things safe. All of the newbies I have taken are versed on safety and discipline to the point some get bored and I tell them, if you can't pay attention to and practice the safety and discipline you can't go with me! That usually gets their attention and they end up having a great time.
We all announce when we're shooting and when we need to check our targets. I haven't seen any newbies come without a veteran shooter.

samari46
01-22-2021, 12:53 AM
We had a member bring a guest and his 10 year old son. Under the rules the members are responsible for their guests. Well dad let the kid run amok and the kid was touching other folks guns and tearing up targets that had been brought back by members. The ro whom I know well put a screaming halt to that. Suspended the member and told him never to bring that dad and kid back again. We stopped at 850 members and there is a waiting list. And you have to pass a background check. It costs me $100 to renew my membership and have been a member for 25 years. But you see people making the same stupid mistakes like handling firearms during a cease fire. Frank

Walks
01-22-2021, 01:47 AM
Went to a Big Public Range on a Sat. Was on the bench shooting my Mini-14, 10rd mag. Bolt locked back, I went looking for my brass, It was GONE !!!!
Looked up and down the line, there was a kid about 10yrs old putting every case that hit the deck into a plastic bucket. I spoke to him and he took off down the line to hide behind his father. By this time there were 4-5 shooters standing with me, looking for their brass. He had his kid collecting the brass to sell for scrap. The father was shooting a SKS with steel cased ammo.
We got our brass back and he was kicked off the range, never to return.
But what kind of story will he tell his friends ?

Winger Ed.
01-22-2021, 03:12 AM
But what kind of story will he tell his friends ?

On things like that, I'm reminded of one of my favorite songs, one that came along in the 1840's,
it went away with slavery in the US, then made a come back in the 1940's, and since then,
has stood the test of time.
Its called "Jimmy Crack Corn".

I especially like that part, and often say it myself--- where it goes, "I don't care".:bigsmyl2:

Mal Paso
01-22-2021, 11:27 AM
Last trip to the range there were new shooters on either side of me. One had an instructor the other was with an experienced shooter. They didn't have all the shooting etiquette down but were paying attention and no problem.

We need to welcome new shooters and show them the ropes. The idiots I've seen at the range were not new to shooting, they just never learned a thing.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2021, 11:38 AM
It's very rare for me to be at the range when others are there, I do go on weekday mornings or early afternoons, but our range doesn't get much use at any time, especially now, with empty ammo shelves and high ammo prices when you can find it. Also, our range is kind of remote, a few miles of gravel to get to it.

memtb
01-22-2021, 11:47 AM
We’re pretty lucky! Though small, with only 2 backstops dedicated to 22’s and handguns, and 100 and 300 yard set-ups for rifle....we only have 2 (wife and I) members Though, we sometimes have guests at our discretion! :wink: Heck, if we don’t have wind....I may walk out today to do a little shooting! :D memtb

robg
01-22-2021, 02:13 PM
our range has an introduction class before let on range.6 month probation .minor errors warning ,repeat the error 6 week ban .dangerous behaviour banned and reported to police , never had to invoke that last one thank god.

GARD72977
01-22-2021, 02:21 PM
I was at the range last week at our local club. There was a man woman and thier son about 10yrs old. We had been down range once together as a group. I had said range cold and then hot when we were back and ready to shoot.

I was sighting in a rifle and really not paying attention to them. I had been messing with my gun for a couple minutes. I look up and they are down range without saying an word or even caring that I'm handling my gun.

Daver7
01-22-2021, 03:25 PM
When our daughter was around 12 she went to a gun show with me. "Bubba" was checking out a revolver and wasn't watching where he was pointing it. Brandy taps him on the arm and said "Stop pointing the gun at people" That got his attention he turned red put the gun down and apologized to her, everyone else had a good laugh. Now Brandy's son is 16 and shoots with us and our club. If it's just the family then we designate him as the RO. He takes the job very seriously
Good training always helps.

shooterg
01-22-2021, 05:08 PM
Since 1991 , we require a Range Orientation before new member can access Ranges . All take a test and sign an agreement to comply with rules.
With close to 500 members and their families, we have few incidents, but still have the 1% that do not think rules include them. Actually more incidents involve guests, but the member is held reponsinble. Been 2 years since the Safety Committee had to boot anybody. We have RSO's at events, but so far members can come and go and shoot w/o RSO's during non-event hours . We do have keycard access, so if we always know who is there and can usually track down any reported stupidity. And we now have cameras scattered about . PITA but effective.

nvbirdman
01-22-2021, 05:50 PM
I had to tell a guy at the range one day to keep an eye on where his kid was pointing a gun that he had.
The guy laughed and asked if his kid had pointed it at me. I told him no, he was pointing it at your truck.

Bmi48219
01-22-2021, 06:27 PM
Anyone that knows me knows I’m seriously pro 2A. This will probably Ruffle some feathers but having been a RSO both before and after the ‘everybody buy a firearm’ panic I have my own opinions.
A whole lot of completely inexperienced people have purchased firearms, way more in the past two years than any time in our history. In itself that’s good, more votes against gun-grabbers. Bad because lack of knowledge is deadly when firearms are involved. Many newcomers think just because they can purchase ( or rent a range owned) firearm they are good to go. I wish I had $10 for every person that came to the range, never shot before, purchased a handgun and couldn’t figure out how to load or operate it safely.
I don’t know of many places a person can operate a motor vehicle without a license. Most states require a safety course or other proof of experience before they will issue a hunting license because firearms are as deadly as automobiles.
From my perspective No one should be allowed to purchase or operate a firearm without passing a stringent firearm operating test. That would go a long way to reducing accidental firearm deaths and some of the gun-grabbers’ arguments. Firearm education generates income, taxes and could contribute to shooting sports in general.
Commercial ranges only make money when people shoot. Too often they are willing to overlook safety & dump the problem on RSOs that are busy enough trying to keep the range safe. Face it, to the media we all look bad when someone is accidentally shot.

Walks
01-22-2021, 10:02 PM
One thing about the CA purchase rules, you hafta take a written test to see if you know about firearms safety. And ya hafta demonstrate at time of pick up that ya know how the gun works.

Don't know how many dealers are doing the demo thing. But it's been quite a while since I saw really unsafe gun handling at the pistol range.

godzilla
01-22-2021, 10:07 PM
Reading these posts makes me thankful to shoot at my own range

dale2242
01-23-2021, 07:52 AM
As an Oregon ODFW certified Hunter Ed instructor, I can agree to safety course to buy a firearm.
Some may feel it is a form of gun control.
Kids less than 18 years old are required to have a Hunters Ed course to hunt in Oregon.
Older people that started handling guns before the Hunter Ed was required are the worst.

owejia
01-23-2021, 08:22 AM
Just because you have drivers education training does not make you a safe driver. Works the same with everything, personal responability.

pcolapaddler
01-23-2021, 09:36 AM
I worked at a boat dealer and marina for about 10 years right out of high school. When I bought my first boat, I took a boating safety course.

I don't hunt, but was a little interested, so I took a hunter safety course. I was probably in my 50s at the time.

Mandatory safety classes sound like ( to use the pc terms ) reasonable, common sense measures. I would support those measures.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Petrol & Powder
01-23-2021, 10:39 AM
When it involves just one adult, I consider Darwin to be an excellent arbitrator of stupidity. Sometimes stupidity gets you hurt and sometimes it takes you out of the gene pool.

However, when there is more than 1 person involved, the situation changes.
I worry about innocent people being harmed by idiots. I worry about the left capitalizing on tragic events to pursue their agenda and I worry about our reputation as gun owners.

I think this large influx of new gun owners will follow the exact same path as all other trends. There will a huge short term increase in new shooters. A lot of that interest will fade. There will unfortunately be some tragic accidents but that is no different than with the expansion of any activity.
How many people remember the energy crisis of the 1970's (there were two) and the huge increase in people burning firewood? There were increases in chainsaw accidents , increases in chimney fires and house fires. It levels out after a while.
We've seen similar results of injuries and deaths associated with other trends. Remember the early days of ATV's ? Mountain bikes? Jet Ski's ?
We'll get through this bubble of new gun owners and some good will come out of it. It may seem a little overwhelming now - ammo and component shortages, crowded ranges, a few idiots and negative consequences; but it's not all doom & gloom.
The upside will be more pro-gun voters. Increased industry support. More money for our sport (new ranges, expanded ranges)

And, the more guns in private hands in the U.S.A. , the better.

Shawlerbrook
01-23-2021, 10:55 AM
Agree with all the above and glad I shoot on my property. This has raised a dilemma for me. Where I despise any government interference with my Constitutional and God given rights, I do feel the need to require some training for all the new gun owners coming into the sport. Very difficult to balance this as the anti’s will only take advantage of any inch we yield.

Petrol & Powder
01-23-2021, 11:01 AM
Agree with all the above and glad I shoot on my property. This has raised a dilemma for me. Where I despise any government interference with my Constitutional and God given rights, I do feel the need to require some training for all the new gun owners coming into the sport. Very difficult to balance this as the anti’s will only take advantage of any inch we yield.

True. And I believe the overall net result of this trend will be more positive than negative for our cause.

shooterg
01-23-2021, 11:55 AM
Got a real problem with any government mandated training to exercise any right . BUT I believe ALL private ranges should have a program to train members on required safety protocols . Marksmanship training too if you have time and personnel, but SAFETY FIRST .

Petrol & Powder
01-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Got a real problem with any government mandated training to exercise any right . BUT I believe ALL private ranges should have a program to train members on required safety protocols . Marksmanship training too if you have time and personnel, but SAFETY FIRST .

I certainly agree with this /\

Petrol & Powder
01-23-2021, 01:46 PM
Despite the temporary strain of a huge influx of new gun owners, we have an enormous opportunity here.

We get hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of new gun owners. New gun owners that are voters.
We get to show these people our very best. We get to show them respect, politeness and good manners. We get to share knowledge. We get the opportunity to show them that guns owners are not right-wing nut cases as they've constantly been told by the liberals.
We get to have some conversations that don't involve bizarre conspiracy theories.
We get the opportunity to erase some liberal indoctrination, maybe even change some fundamental ideals.

Yes, there will be some initial increase in safety issues. Hopefully that curve will not be too long or severe. We can provide a good basic foundation for safe, responsible lifetime shooters.

Despite the short term inconvenience, I see a LOT of good that can come out of this.

Bmi48219
01-23-2021, 03:31 PM
As stated by others there are a lot of positive aspects to the influx of new gun owners. Shooting is fun, it’s up to us to expand on that basic idea to protect and further our common hobby. I understand the ‘give the gun-grabbers an inch’ concern. But the media makes way more than an inch out of an accidental shooting.
We are dealing with two distinct issues that give the anti-gunners traction.
Gun violence, the purposeful shooting of someone; and firearm accidents.
Not much WE can do about Gun Violence other than securing our weapons and pushing for stronger enforcement of Existing laws.
But We can reduce accidental shooting by promoting firearm safety at every opportunity.
The truth is ALL Accidents are Preventable, every accident we prevent gives the anti-gunners one less reason to assail our rights.
The death rate from motor vehicle accidents is huge, even with driver certification and licensing. How bad would it be if licensing wasn’t a prerequisite to drive, because that is the position we as shooters, are in now. Again, I’m opposed to any infringement of my rights, but I think mandatory firearms certification beats hell out of looking at the muzzle of a loaded weapon in the hands of an untrained individual.

Three44s
01-23-2021, 04:35 PM
I do not know how to accomplish it but the wave of newbies need serious safety training.

Years ago, the parents taught safety to the youngsters. As time wore on the at home training became lower quality.

The newbies have zilch for knowledge and we, the general shooting public will be the loser for it if left uncorrected.

Three44s

Petrol & Powder
01-23-2021, 05:03 PM
I do not know how to accomplish it but the wave of newbies need serious safety training.

Years ago, the parents taught safety to the youngsters. As time wore on the at home training became lower quality.

The newbies have zilch for knowledge and we, the general shooting public will be the loser for it if left uncorrected.

Three44s

We'll get there.
It seems a bit daunting right now but it's going be ok in the end.

Huskerguy
01-23-2021, 05:40 PM
I belong to a small indoor pistol range. On a former air force base, block building, 50' long. Probably 12 lanes. Heated, cooled and well ventilated. Limit of 225 members I believe. Everyone has to be recommended by someone, take a Saturday morning firearm handling session which is pass/fail and they do fail people. Everything is on video from the time you enter the door. Range officers review the video and send letters for violations. I have never received on but have heard people complain about getting them.

Formerly we could bring a guest and both could shoot. No more, now we can shoot and if our guest shoots we have to be within arms length of them which is a good idea I guess. But when a friend comes with me who grew up shooting has to just watch me, it doesn't make sense when we are the only ones there.

I am one who thinks having all the new gun owners come on board is a good long term thing. There will be growing pains like anything else, but it provides us more numbers in the shooting and pro 2A fraternity.

All that said, we have two range clean up days a year and I am amazed at how many bullet marks there are on the ceiling, hanging down boards, and walls. It truly does bring to life that some people can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I am a teacher by trade so I am an advocate for teaching these young and old people how to shoot and how to do it safely. Experienced people owe them and I feel are responsible for that. I know that is not a popular stance. But we are talking about life and death here.

Shawlerbrook
01-23-2021, 05:47 PM
I worked as an environmental regulator for 32 years and would preach to the industry that we regulated that if they don’t police their own and insure their employees were well trained then the politicians would force regulations on them. I think it is the same with all our new gun owners. The manufacturers, the dealers and the ranges should do everything possible to ensure that these people know the Ten Commandments of safe firearms use and ownership.

rbuck351
01-24-2021, 11:29 AM
I would like to see all ranges require a safety course before allowing a person to shoot at their range. I don't like the govt requiring anyone to have a safety card to buy a gun.

I have my own range at home and won't allow anyone I don't know to be a safe gun handler to shoot at my range. I will teach anyone that needs training to come to my range for a safety course.

I was an RO for the DOC in Alaska for several years and part of my job was recertifying C.O.s every year.

Bmi48219
01-24-2021, 10:39 PM
A range specific safety course would be a start, as long as it was thorough. But I wouldn’t accept it at a different range unless I knew the instructor.
Around here the ranges charge $15 to $20 / hour for one shooter in a lane with added fees for additional shooters. By the time the range pays two RSOs, two counter staff, utilities, equipment parts & upkeep, lease etc. there isn’t much left over for profit. In that environment owners sometimes accept shooters of questionable skill levels to generate profits. No guarantee a range safety class wouldn’t be graded on a curve too. That kind of mindset would lead me to question a certification from another range.
With a certification from a recognized training institute (NRA or other) I can be reasonably confident the shooter received the proscribed training. I know that this process would put a damper on new shooter enthusiasm but if you let someone with no knowledge shoot today chances are they won’t know anymore the next time they hit the range. That’s why i recommend a mandatory ‘pre-purchase’ certification and ties in with our 3 day background check wait. They can buy the firearm and get the training while they wait.