PDA

View Full Version : GI Bore Cleaner and corrosive ammo

dale2242
01-21-2021, 11:07 AM
I have quite a lot of corrosive ammo for my milsurp rifles.
I have a number of cans of GI bore cleaner marked Spec RIXS-205 and RIXS-205 Rev1.
Was this cleaner designed to clean guns after using corrosive ammo.
Does the PO number indicate the year of manufacture.
I know the bore cleaner issued during WWII was for corrosive ammo and if I could determine when it was manufactured that would be a clue.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-21-2021, 11:52 AM
That's a really good question for which I do not know the answer. I've used both the WW II vintage G.I. bore cleaner and the stuff made during the Viet Nam War, and it seems different to me. Certainly the smell is! The thing about corrosive ammo is that the corrosive priming salts can be easily dissolved and removed by using hot, soapy water (best) or any of several commercial water based cleaning solutions. Most cleaning solutions now days have a petroleum base. Following what I believe your line of thinking to be, it is not necessarily logical that after the military abandoned corrosive primers they would continue to use water based solutions, so I'd err on the side of caution and go with something other than current G.I. bore cleaner. Yes, usually you can figure out the date of manufacture of G.I. bore cleaner from the information/numbers on the can.

DG

Adam Helmer
01-21-2021, 12:15 PM
dale,

Is your bore cleaner black in color and strong ammonia smelling? The Vietnam era stuff looked like 30 weight motor oil and was pleasant smelling. I had quarts of the WWII stuff back in the 1960s that saved my rifle bores. Now days I use hot, soapy water per the Old Army Manual.

Adam

Outpost75
01-21-2021, 03:32 PM
WW2 army bore cleaner is mostly water blended with soap or detergent and aqueous ammonia. The detergent or soap molecule is both hydrophilic and hydrophobic, which means it can combine with both oil and water. When you shake the can detergent molecules adhere to the water and oil together forming an emulsion of molecules that are not normally attracted to each other, that don't usually mix. A 50-50 mix of Murphy's Oil Soap and distilled water is an effective modern substitute. Avoid using tap water from municipal supplies that contain chlorine or other halogens.

10-x
01-21-2021, 06:19 PM
275813 Here’s 2 cans of WWII, one 43 dated the other 44.

Gtek
01-21-2021, 06:20 PM
I still have some of the cartridge belt style sized cans for my WWll pile. I can assure you that a simple test will prove which you possess, very simple. Go into the next room from the Mrs. and open it and fan it around a little, if it gets a loud voice coming from other room shortly after opening you have the WWll stuff! Really not needed though IMHO, as stated above using good water and process will assure success. Bolts are easy, some gas guns can be a little more involved. The way I used to do it is a good wipe down of bolt and a bore push at range with the good water mixed with Windex, and then home to a good deep clean with warm water with a touch of Dawn (also having a compressed air source is a wonderful thing) then oiled. Always checking for days after and with no issues short or long term. Treat it like a front stuffer and all will be fine.

higgins
01-21-2021, 08:11 PM
Ballistol mixed with water is a good corrosive primer solvent. Ballistol says as little as 10 percent Ballistol will work, but I use more Ballistol in my mix. Good for black powder guns too. I like to use straight Ballistol as the final wipe down in bores that have fired corrosive primers. So far, so good.

webfoot10
01-21-2021, 08:15 PM
I shoot a lot of surplus ammunition in my military rifles. After firing I spray windex
glass cleaner down the bore from the breech end to clean out the salts and wipe
with a dry patch, Then a patch soaked with Ed's Red bore cleaner, Let set for a few
minutes, then follow with clean patchs till clean. Oil bore and your done. Never get
any rust. Ed's red is equal parts ATF, Kerosene and Mineral Spirts. Works better
then the military bore cleaner and don't smell as bad.

30calflash
01-22-2021, 09:58 AM
I've used commercial black powder solvent to get rid of the salts then standard bore cleaner, usually Hoppes#9. Clean again and oil a day or two later.

Thumbcocker
01-22-2021, 11:36 AM
I have read that in the Red Army and the British army the grunts were told that if no solvent was available urinating in the barrel was a field expedient.

M-Tecs
01-22-2021, 01:26 PM
As a kid I shot a lot of corrosive 06 ammo and I used the WW2 cleaner. That ran out I used some of the newer GI bore cleaner. That did not work the same and I did get some mild pitting but about the same time my supply of corrosive ammo dried up.

I had not shot any corrosive ammo since the 70's until I was given some this summer. I used Ballistol mixed with water and a little Sweets 7.62. It worked well.

soflarick
02-07-2021, 10:59 PM
Web search "moose milk". I use it on the for-fun BP gun, and put some in a spray bottle for corrosive ammo. Cleans out the salts, and the Ballistol leaves some rust protection. I have a couple cans of the WWII era corrosive cleaner; whatever is in there smells like it should not come in contact with skin.

MUSTANG
02-07-2021, 11:26 PM
And then there is Hoppe's #9. See following article: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/col-townsend-whelen-tells-how-hoppes-no-9-came-to-be/#axzz6lqXyZJxD

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/col-townsend-whelen-tells-how-hoppes-no-9-came-to-be/#ixzz6lqYCavcd
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Col. Townsend Whelen Tells How Hoppe’s No. 9 Came to Be

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/col-townsend-whelen-tells-how-hoppes-no-9-came-to-be/#ixzz6lqYs0HSJ

U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- Col. Townsend Whelen was an iconic American rifleman, soldier, experimenter, and leader who lived through the introduction of smokeless powder and bolt action rifles. He wrote voluminously, including several books. He lived a long and useful life, born in 1877, and dying at the end of 1961, at the age of 88. His works live on today and are considered classics.

While visiting my brother in Northern Wisconsin, I was perusing his collection of Gun Digests. Looking at early Gun Digests reminds me of how much things have changed, how much we have lost and gained in our right to keep and bear arms.

In the 1960 Gun Digest, Col. Whelen, in one of the last articles he wrote, reminisced about the introduction of the Krag rifle and Hoppe’s No. 9 powder solvent.

I had never seen the story about Hoppe’s before. I have been unable to find it on the Internet. As the small excerpt about Hoppe’s is well within fair use standards, I will reproduce it here, for the edification of future generations of shooters. The article recounts Col. Whelen’s experience with the Krag rifle from 1900 to 1912. The primers of the time were a stable and reliable mix of Potassium Chlorate, Antimony Sulfide powder, Sulfur powder, and ground glass. The main problem with these primers was they produced a highly corrosive residue that stayed in the bore. From the 1960 Gun Digest, Col. Townsend Whelen, in the article titled: Days of the Krag:

Further experience showed that it was extremely difficult to really clean the bore. After cleaning it apparently thoroughly, within the next day or two “new” fouling would seemingly appear, and slight rusting had started. Captain Foulke thought this was due to the smokeless powder gasses being driven into the pores of the steel by the great heat and pressure, and that the subsequently “sweated out”. He had a friend named Frank Hoppe, who was a chemist, so he and Frank started to concoct, if they could, a suitable cleaning solution. The first formula tried they called “An American Rifleman’s Friend.” It contained some ammonia, would of itself cause rust of left too long in the bore – it was not very satisfactory. The ninth solution they tried proved fairly satisfactory. If the bore was cleaned with a brass wire-bristle brush dipped in the solution for several successive days after the firing it would remain in good condition. Thus was born the celebrated “Powder Solvent No. 9,” which is still used extensively, and with which we are all of us very familiar.

Hoppe’s No. 9 dissolves the corrosive salts produced by the corrosive primers. Hot water will also dissolve the salts, but then the water has to be removed or it will also facilitate rust. If the water is hot enough, it will heat the barrel to the point the barrel will dry itself. Use of the proper solvent, such as the No. 9 power solvent, eliminates the requirement to use hot water, along with the inconvenience and mess.

Most members of the Gun Culture can remember the sweet smell of Hoppe’s No. 9 Powder Solvent.

Now we know how it came to be, and why.

End of article.

M-Tecs
02-07-2021, 11:38 PM
The original #9 formula contained nitrobenzene. Hence the nitro solvent moniker. Nitrobenzene is carcinogen and has not been use in Hoppe's #9 since the later 80's or early 90's. I don't know if that effects how well it cleans salts but it did reduce the general cleaning ability.

samari46
02-08-2021, 02:36 AM
The old WWII corrosive ammo bore cleaner smells very strongly of creosote, thing hot summers and railroad tier or sleepers. I guarantee one good wiff and you would be sleeping with your pets outside. It's that strong. However by the mid 50's most corrosive ammo had been replaced with the non corrosive type. Be interesting what out Korean War Vets shot as far as corrosive ammo and what they had to clean their firearms. By the time Vietnam War started up most if not all the ammo was of the non corrosive ammo type. Their bore solvent looked like a mixture of water soluable oil,water and some other stuff. Only problem is that I don't know what the other stuff is. As a matter of fact what does today's combat vet carry in his or her ruck as a bore cleaning solvent.?. Frank

gnoahhh
02-08-2021, 04:38 PM
Hot soapy water is cheap (free), effective, and omnipresent. Why dink around with commercial solvents for the chore of cleaning up after corrosive ammo? Check the bore the next day just to be sure you got it all.

Anecdote: to clean muzzle loader musket, shotgun, and rifle barrels, I demount them from their stocks and take them and a cleaning rod with me into the hot shower. Sluice out the barrels at the same time I sluice myself. All the crud and corruption swirls away down the drain.

Scrounge
02-08-2021, 04:47 PM
And then there is Hoppe's #9. See following article: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/col-townsend-whelen-tells-how-hoppes-no-9-came-to-be/#axzz6lqXyZJxD

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/col-townsend-whelen-tells-how-hoppes-no-9-came-to-be/#ixzz6lqYCavcd

Col. Townsend Whelen Tells How Hoppe’s No. 9 Came to Be

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/col-townsend-whelen-tells-how-hoppes-no-9-came-to-be/#ixzz6lqYs0HSJ

U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- Col. Townsend Whelen was an iconic American rifleman, soldier, experimenter, and leader who lived through the introduction of smokeless powder and bolt action rifles. He wrote voluminously, including several books. He lived a long and useful life, born in 1877, and dying at the end of 1961, at the age of 88. His works live on today and are considered classics.

While visiting my brother in Northern Wisconsin, I was perusing his collection of Gun Digests. Looking at early Gun Digests reminds me of how much things have changed, how much we have lost and gained in our right to keep and bear arms.

In the 1960 Gun Digest, Col. Whelen, in one of the last articles he wrote, reminisced about the introduction of the Krag rifle and Hoppe’s No. 9 powder solvent.

I had never seen the story about Hoppe’s before. I have been unable to find it on the Internet. As the small excerpt about Hoppe’s is well within fair use standards, I will reproduce it here, for the edification of future generations of shooters. The article recounts Col. Whelen’s experience with the Krag rifle from 1900 to 1912. The primers of the time were a stable and reliable mix of Potassium Chlorate, Antimony Sulfide powder, Sulfur powder, and ground glass. The main problem with these primers was they produced a highly corrosive residue that stayed in the bore. From the 1960 Gun Digest, Col. Townsend Whelen, in the article titled: Days of the Krag:

Further experience showed that it was extremely difficult to really clean the bore. After cleaning it apparently thoroughly, within the next day or two “new” fouling would seemingly appear, and slight rusting had started. Captain Foulke thought this was due to the smokeless powder gasses being driven into the pores of the steel by the great heat and pressure, and that the subsequently “sweated out”. He had a friend named Frank Hoppe, who was a chemist, so he and Frank started to concoct, if they could, a suitable cleaning solution. The first formula tried they called “An American Rifleman’s Friend.” It contained some ammonia, would of itself cause rust of left too long in the bore – it was not very satisfactory. The ninth solution they tried proved fairly satisfactory. If the bore was cleaned with a brass wire-bristle brush dipped in the solution for several successive days after the firing it would remain in good condition. Thus was born the celebrated “Powder Solvent No. 9,” which is still used extensively, and with which we are all of us very familiar.

Hoppe’s No. 9 dissolves the corrosive salts produced by the corrosive primers. Hot water will also dissolve the salts, but then the water has to be removed or it will also facilitate rust. If the water is hot enough, it will heat the barrel to the point the barrel will dry itself. Use of the proper solvent, such as the No. 9 power solvent, eliminates the requirement to use hot water, along with the inconvenience and mess.

Most members of the Gun Culture can remember the sweet smell of Hoppe’s No. 9 Powder Solvent.

Now we know how it came to be, and why.

End of article.

I still think of Hoppe's #9 as the proper cologne for men. Not at all sure how my wife feels about that, but she likes her guns, too.

Outpost75
02-08-2021, 06:02 PM
A friend of mine was concerned when his daughter came of an age where the young men in her high school were becoming "interested". She was not permitted to "date" but was allowed to attend "mixers" which were well supervised. Her Mom took the situation well in hand and while getting her ready for the dance would not permit perfume, but instead applied a few drops of Hoppes on her hair band and scarf (it was a square dance).

Mom & Dad explained that if she met a young man whom she liked, who recognized the Hoppe's, that she could invite him to Sunday dinner. This indeed occurred, and the couple kept in touch. The young man enlisted after 9/11 and she wrote him during his deployment, sprinkling his letters with a couple drops of Hoppe's. Upon his safe return they were later married. Today their son is a cadet at Virginia Tech hoping to find a young lady who recognizes the smell of Hoppe's. As his Mom would say, "I don't want you bringing home a girl who smells like a brothel."

dale2242
02-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Outpost75, great story.
Country folks know how to get it done.

Adam Helmer
02-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Outpost75,

I like a story with happy ending! LOL. I see a sermon in your post. If I get writer's cramp in future, I will use your text in this rural county. Everyone knows Hoppes #9. Many thanks.

Be well.

Adam

Outpost75
02-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Outpost75, great story.
Country folks know how to get it done.

Indeed!

fiberoptik
02-09-2021, 09:54 PM
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
02-10-2021, 12:20 AM
Ballistol mixed with water is a good corrosive primer solvent. Ballistol says as little as 10 percent Ballistol will work, but I use more Ballistol in my mix. Good for black powder guns too. I like to use straight Ballistol as the final wipe down in bores that have fired corrosive primers. So far, so good.

I agree. Ballistol is good stuff.

dale2242
02-10-2021, 10:01 AM
I just bought a can of Ballistol.
I will give it a try.

beemer
02-16-2021, 04:46 PM
Funny, I was reading earlier today about this problem in Phil Sharpe's book. He stated something to the effect that if you are not sure of the solvent you have use hot water, it will work. I have a couple older milsurps with nice bores and a little corrosive ammo. All I have is current solvents so hot water it is.

Outpost75
02-16-2021, 05:22 PM
Outpost75,

I like a story with happy ending! LOL. I see a sermon in your post. If I get writer's cramp in future, I will use your text in this rural county. Everyone knows Hoppes #9. Many thanks.

Be well.

Adam

If you choose to do so I would love to have a copy of the sermon.

charlie b
02-17-2021, 10:41 AM
For bore cleaner I am an Ed's Red convert. It works really well, especially with powder coated cast bullets (I think the acetone does that trick). Have never fired any corrosive primers so don't know how well it will work with them.

I like that story too. Reminds me of taking my daughter out to the range with me one day. When we got home she sat down with me to clean the pistols at the kitchen table. She didn't tell me there was a boy coming over that evening. When my wife let him in his eyes became the size of saucers looking at the two of us and guns laying around. He didn't last :) The one she married was an Air Force brat (she was an Army brat) and he now has my father's 1911.

PS her 8th grade science project was measuring the penetration of bullets vs muzzle velocity. Funniest part is she has become our little liberal, moderate, but, liberal. Her husband and their friends are conservatives (they live in South Carolina).

EMC45
02-18-2021, 10:33 AM
I have some old Vietnam era Octagon Process GI bore cleaner that works great.

jim147
02-19-2021, 06:41 PM
I still have couple cases of corrosive 7.62x39 bought in the early 90's. It's reserved for emergency use these day.

Out of curiosity I grabbed my bottle of Hoppe's bought sometime around fifteen years ago. It still says removes corrosive primer fouling.

Drm50
02-20-2021, 01:25 AM
Weren’t any you guys in service. In boot camp we had to take our rifles in the shower with us. I’m not a great black powder nut but I can’t abide the shortcuts them come up with to clean side locks. I clean in hot soapy water and rinse in boiling water. It dries in front of your eyes. Then oil to put away.

Alferd Packer
03-13-2021, 01:46 PM
Homade GI bore cleaner from my Dad.
To a gallon of hot water add 1/2 cup Arm and Hammer washing soda and 1/2 cup household ammonia and stir till well dissolved. Then add a cup of clean white kerosene.
Always shake the mix as the kerosene will separate on sitting, but then just swab out the bore with patches and a scrub brush and wipe everything down with this mix.
It's a good cleaner and floats off all the crud.
Wipe everything off with dry paper towels or clean rags and see what you think?
I call it the poor man's Ballistol.
You can wash off car batteries with it too. A good degreaser with out the kerosene.
The kerosene seems to leave an oily shine on gun metal without oiling the gun.After the wipe off let it airdry.
You can always add a drop of oil if you think you need it.
Really great on stainless steel guns too.
When you shake this stuff up it gets milky like Ballistol does.
You don't want to let this get on any brass or brass cartridge cases.
It's really surprising how fast it works.Just let it set in the bore five minutes and patch it out and pull a fresh wet patch then dry patches and let air dry and oil if you like.
A gallon will last you awhile and its cheap.Just shake it before you use it.

Bigslug
03-16-2021, 12:16 AM
Just for giggles, do a search for "Enfield cleaning funnel"

The Brits had a specialty metal funnel contoured to slot into the breech of a No 1 that allowed them to pour boiling water down the bore. I figure if you have a flexy-nozzled plastic transmission fluid funnel with an outlet smaller than the base of your cartridge, you're good to go.

Alferd Packer
03-16-2021, 06:01 AM
Plumbing supply houses sell drainline in a clear smoke grey colored plastic tubing that is used for drain lines for air conditioners and dehumidifier units.
It comes in 100 ft coils and many different OD and IDs. Usually sold by the foot.
Cobble up a bore flush tool.

Toymaker
03-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Good and interesting information here, but I don't think anybody answered the question. I too have a number of cans of GI Bore Cleaner. They have three different PO number formats.
For example, (28-024) 44-40700-6, or 727-42-19004 FSDA or 43-18168.
I was given to understand that in the first format the production date was 1944; for the second format the production date was 1942; and for the third format the production date was 1943.

fiberoptik
03-16-2021, 11:37 PM
I know the old stuff sure had funky cans. Don’t think the bore cleaner liked the cans or the cardboard in the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie1971
03-25-2021, 11:44 AM
I don't ever remember #9 being good for corrosive ammo. In the 80's when we shot lots of surplus ammo we always used GI bore cleaner from WW2. Learned the hard way with #9's inability to clean corrosive ammo away. I had an old SMLE and used cordite, cleaned with #9 and oiled and next day I had a sewer pipe of a barrel.