PDA

View Full Version : Need Bo mar sights for 1911

Doug Bowser
12-20-2008, 01:30 AM
I am building two 1911 target pistols. One will be a hardball gun with National Match slide and barrel. This will have to be a low mounted sight.

The second 1911 will be a wadcutter gun with full length rib.

Does anyone know where to buy the sights for these projects?

I will be using my two Hensley and Gibbs 200 gr moulds with 3.9 gr of Bullseye Powder.

Dale53
12-20-2008, 02:30 AM
I believe that Bo-Mar sights are no longer available. However, there ARE good sights available. I would suggest Brownells for these items. Here is a suggestion:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17880

Good luck to you.
Dale53

fecmech
12-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I believe Brownells carrys a full length rib called Aristocrat which is similar to the Bo Mar. Also if you are trying to add weight to the slide why not mount an Ultra Dot sight on it. That gives you the the heavy slide plus a really precise aiming point. Just a thought.

Dale53
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Doug;

Since a Red Dot was not part of your question I completely overlooked that solution. fecmech is absolutely correct. I have a Red Dot (slide mounted with a short section of Weaver rail) and it is the "cat's meow". I have seriously impaired vision but the Red Dot allows me to perform at a level I hadn't done so for a while. It is really satisfying to shoot a REALLY good score, again!

You can get a pretty dern good Red Dot for less money than a Bo-Mar rib. I can recommend the Simmons 30 mm (about $60-70) as being perfectly suitable for slide mounting on a 1911 platform.

I also have several Red Dots mounted on my favorite revolvers. Last month I shot a couple of 94x100 on the NRA Slow fire target and I haven't been able to do that for quite a while with iron sights. These were shot with my 625's in .45 ACP.

Dale53

McLintock
12-20-2008, 06:19 PM
I've got an original un-used BO-MAR BMCS sight in it's original package, but it doesn't have the rib you're after. If you can do without the rib, it's available.
McLintock

dragonrider
12-21-2008, 12:18 AM
You might try Millett sights. available from Brownells.

gb6491
12-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Try Champion Gun Sights (http://www.championgunsights.com/products.asp?cat=26); they make Bo-Mar style sights.
Regards,
Greg

bobthenailer
12-21-2008, 07:54 AM
last winter i had evelution gun works cut my slide for lo mout bomar sight at that time he said he bought the last 100 of the bomar sights so he also installed the sight to my slide . excellent job ! i did not even have to reblue my slide and fast turn around . at that time i also could not find bo mar sight and found out they closed due to health issues . good luck with your project and for the wadcutter gun consider useing a red dot sight!
good shooting bob
shooting BE since 1975
and high master for the last 18 years