PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a 32 or 36 cal flintlock...

Wheelgun
01-20-2021, 05:41 PM
I’m looking to get into flintlocks. I’m wanting recommendations for a good starter rifle in 32 or 36 cal. Will be used to woods bumming and backyard targets. Occasionally small game but usually targets of opportunity.

Thanks

flyingmonkey35
01-20-2021, 05:51 PM
32 cal squril gun. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wheelgun
01-20-2021, 05:53 PM
What kind? Where did you find it?

godzilla
01-20-2021, 06:23 PM
Get your wallet warmed up, front stuffers aint cheap!

pietro
01-20-2021, 06:35 PM

If you've never loaded a smallbore BP rifle, you might want to test your dexterity on .32 and.36 cal holes drilled into a wooden test block.

I say this because I found a .36cal much easier to load than a .32cal (fat fingers, not enough booze ;) )

Caswell Ranch
01-20-2021, 07:28 PM
http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/f-336/

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/2040/category_id/618/category_chain/618/product_name/FR3040+Pedersoli+Pennsylvania+Rifle+-+.32+Cal.+Flint

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/2045/category_id/618/product_name/FR3100+Pedersoli+Kentucky+Rifle+-+.32+Cal.+Flint

OR forget the flint and get a Traditions Crockett .32, $450 is easer to come up with.

flyingmonkey35
01-20-2021, 09:38 PM
Mines a percussion capand I got it off of this site.

I got it for my son who is small in stature.

But I love shooting it.

So does my wife.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nobade
01-20-2021, 09:48 PM
Pedersoli makes a nice little full stock flint rifle, I think in either caliber.

Wheelgun
01-20-2021, 10:45 PM
Ok thanks for the links.
Also the Dixie cub in 32 or 36 looks nice, they are Pedersoli.
Also the Sitting Fox “Poor Boy” squirrel rifle looks slick, but not sure I want to tackle a kit...
http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-46/

Caswell Ranch
01-21-2021, 01:06 AM
The links I posted above (Dixie) the Pedersoli's are on sale, not much of a sale but a sale and they have them. I have the Pedersoli Kentucky, it's a nice gun.

rfd
01-21-2021, 07:42 AM
Be advised that there is more to a Good flint lock than a Good percussion lock. Cheap flint locks can have issues due to their build geometry and components. The glut of offshore trad muzzleloaders these dayze are in the .50 and .54 bore sizes, and the .32 to .45 sizes are typically coming from Pedersoli and they ain't cheap. If I wanted a Good .32 to .40 flintlock rifle I'd look into a used (or new) one built onshore.

That said, for easy recoil plinking around on a budget there's much good to be said about .50 bore flintlock rifle as you get to build each "round", which means loading down with 30 grains instead of 70 grains of real black powder.

One thing to be aware about all the offshore guns is that they all use a "patent" breech plug instead of a classic flat faced breech plug. This means that there is a restricted ante-chamber behind the real chamber, and it will require special considerations for both cleaning and fouling control.

https://i.imgur.com/Hf8CkpI.jpg

Nobade
01-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Be advised that there is more to a Good flint lock than a Good percussion lock. Cheap flint locks can have issues due to their build geometry and components. The glut of offshore trad muzzleloaders these dayze are in the .50 and .54 bore sizes, and the .32 to .45 sizes are typically coming from Pedersoli and they ain't cheap. If I wanted a Good .32 to .40 flintlock rifle I'd look into a used (or new) one built onshore.

That said, for easy recoil plinking around on a budget there's much good to be said about .50 bore flintlock rifle as you get to build each "round", which means loading down with 30 grains instead of 70 grains of real black powder.

One thing to be aware about all the offshore guns is that they all use a "patent" breech plug instead of a classic flat faced breech plug. This means that there is a restricted ante-chamber behind the real chamber, and it will require special considerations for both cleaning and fouling control.

https://i.imgur.com/Hf8CkpI.jpg

That's good to know. What a dumb way to build a rifle!

rfd
01-21-2021, 08:55 AM
The patent breech was said to achieve faster ignition. Not.

cub45
01-21-2021, 09:35 AM
look up Jim Kibler, makes beautiful easy to build kit , not cheep but you get more than you pay for. when buying a flintlock the lock is very important, poor lock equals unhappy shooter.

ogre
01-21-2021, 09:37 AM
Buy once, cry once: https://kiblerslongrifles.com/collections/rifle-kit/products/southern-mountain-rifle-kit-gun-base-price-950

rfd
01-21-2021, 10:10 AM
Most offshore flinters can be made much better with an L&R RPL lock replacement (typically $175).

Caswell Ranch
01-21-2021, 10:44 AM
Patent breech has been around a very long time (end of 1700's), knowing that's the way your gun is built is important so you can clean it properly , I use a .22 mop on the end of cleaning rod to get in, all has been well for years, as important if not more so, frizzen is correct hardness, flints are fit correctly, I changed the flash hole liner for the Allen wrench type from RMC, use real black and the correct amount for the pan. Patent breech was also done for ease of manufacture.

P.S. the ignition speed of my Pedersoli Flint Kentucky is as fast as a percussion gun and as fast as my Kibler. Touch hole liner, https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-flintlock-touch-hole-liner-replacements/

rfd
01-21-2021, 11:08 AM
Personally, the patent breech (in all its iterations) is no better at ignition than a classic flat breech, and it's a pain in the butt to administer for fouling control.

I recommend replacing any touch hole liner with a Chambers White Lightning.

Caswell Ranch
01-21-2021, 11:39 AM
The following link ($4 and change ones) really help with cleaning, they all come with a clear tube to drop in a bucket of warm water.
For me cleaning and fouling has not been a problem, I normally shoot around 50 shots on a range session with the flint, I swab the bore about every 5th shot, I shoot the Pedersoli every week and have done so for 8 years.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/578/1

P.S. this reply is not a come back to rfd just a general reply.

rfd
01-21-2021, 11:56 AM
There is no problem with cleaning patent breeches other than having the right tool and taking more time than cleaning a classic flat breech gun.

There can/might be a problem during shooting, particularly at a match, with fouling control and patent breeches.

As to final cleaning, to each their own - lots will depend on what happens to the gun immediately after the last shot of the day is taken.

Personally, I see no need for gadgets or warm/hot/soapy/whatever water or any manner of "cleaning" concoctions. Most of that crap is just that; crap that can/might cause other problems and issues.

Caswell Ranch
01-21-2021, 12:33 PM
As to final cleaning, to each their own - lots will depend on what happens to the gun immediately after the last shot of the day is taken.

Personally, I see no need for gadgets or warm/hot/soapy/whatever water or any manner of "cleaning" concoctions. Most of that crap is just that; crap that can/might cause other problems and issues.

How are you cleaning with no need for water. Offer up some insight instead of knocking anything that is contrary to what you like, I get you like flat breech (everything else is stupid), you don't like gadgets or water and soap for cleaning black powder residue, enlighten.

I've done the toothpick in the touch hole and pump water with a tight patch and jag, this is the only way to clean one of my guns as it does not have a liner (original trade gun with flat breech), the screw in flush nipple works great on the Pedersoli . I can't think of a better cleaner than water, the tool I noted above may help somebody trying to clean a gun with pinned stock.

rfd
01-21-2021, 12:56 PM
How are you cleaning with no need for water. Offer up some insight instead of knocking anything that is contrary to what you like, I get you like flat breech (everything else is stupid), you don't like gadgets or water and soap for cleaning black powder residue, enlighten.

I've done the toothpick in the touch hole and pump water with a tight patch and jag, this is the only way to clean one of my guns as it does not have a liner (original trade gun with flat breech), the screw in flush nipple works great on the Pedersoli . I can't think of a better cleaner than water, the tool I noted above may help somebody trying to clean a gun with pinned stock.

Those are just my personal opinions, no more or less. Do what you think is best and then that will be the best for you, no problem.

Yes, do I use plain tepid tap water for bbl and lock cleaning. It takes me less than 15 minutes to fully clean both bbl and lock.

RU shooter
01-21-2021, 01:07 PM
If were me and actually it is as I'm gathering parts now I'd go with the bigger of the two your considering . I wanted a 36 but the more I thought about things I went with a 45 as it's the smallest I can use for deer in my state if I wanted to leave the 50 at home and I know I can down load it to 30 grs or so for paper killing ,saving a few grs of lead isn't an issue I'd consider and recoil is still barely above zero .

Caswell Ranch
01-21-2021, 04:46 PM
I’m looking to get into flintlocks. I’m wanting recommendations for a good starter rifle in 32 or 36 cal. Will be used to woods bumming and backyard targets. Occasionally small game but usually targets of opportunity.

Thanks

Wheelgun,
The link below may be of interest to you when picking .32 or .36 . Not a flint gun but good info (Crockett is a great little gun).

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlsmallgame.html

Wheelgun
01-21-2021, 08:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the great info. I’ve got a lot to study and learn lol. It’s all greatly appreciated.
I’ve always wanted a flintlock. I’ve got cap’n’ball longguns, pistols and revolvers, but something about at flint calls to me.

That little Crockett looks sweet and would be ideal if it was flintlock, and more accurately fit the name...

rbuck351
01-22-2021, 01:13 AM
I guess I got lucky. About 5 years ago,I found a used TC muzzle loader with two 32 cal GM barrels. One is flint and the other is cap both with the proper locks for $300. It shoots right at 1" with either barrel at 50yds. It's a blast to shoot with either barrel and very cheap as well. 20grs of 3f and about 45 grs of lead gives a fair amount of shooting for a couple of dollars.

Wheelgun
01-23-2021, 11:49 AM
Rbuck351- that’s a heck of a deal.

Wheelgun
01-23-2021, 11:50 AM
How difficult is it to rebarrel a flintlock? I found a local guy with a Pedersoli flint Kentucky rifle in 50cal, but besides really wanting a 32 or 36, the bore is pretty rough. The price is good, and stock is very nice, but has tacks all over. Kinda native Americans styling.

I just don’t know if a rebarrel is feasible...

RU shooter
01-23-2021, 12:47 PM
If Pedersoli made the smaller caliber barrel in the same size it wouldn't be too difficult, also an option to having it relined to a smaller caliber . But it maybe be more cost efficient to get a new pedersoli or other rifle in the caliber you want

Ural Driver
01-23-2021, 01:40 PM
I've done traditional front loader hunting....and I do enjoy the fit and feel of those rifles. But would like to ask, is anyone aware of these smaller calibers being available in the more modern styles?
Having a .32 caliber in the style of a TC would be appealing to me.

Beerd
01-23-2021, 01:48 PM
There is a weight difference to consider going from a .50 cal down to .32 cal in that Pedersoli barrel.

rbuck351
01-23-2021, 10:59 PM
Yeah, my TC has a 15/16 barrel and it is quite heavy.It must have started life as a 50cal.

fiberoptik
01-24-2021, 01:04 AM
H & A underhammer.
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml [URL]

Crockett https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Crockett-.32-cal-percussion-select-hardwood-blued

Kit available: [URL]https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category/Rifle-Kits

Mine’s a Dixie poor boy; caplock in .32, cherry fullstock. Also a CVA squirrel [emoji883] also.32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharps4590
01-24-2021, 09:02 AM
Of the two calibers, I've used both of them extensively over the 48-49 years I've been shooting muzzleloaders. I suppose about 20 years ago I settled on 36 cal. for no other reason than I just like it better. Now, that I'm pushing 70 instead of 50, arthritic hands made that a fortuitous choice.

I have and have had both flat and patent breech. I clean with near boiling water and force it through the bore and out the flash hole. I've experienced no difficulties with either over that same period of time.

Wayne Smith
01-24-2021, 02:39 PM
I chose to go .40 caliber, A weight swamped barrel, AAA Maple stock from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. Mine is a poor boy, iron furniture, no patch box.

fiberoptik
01-24-2021, 03:30 PM
You can use buckshot in the.36.
Cheap shooting.

Caswell Ranch
01-24-2021, 04:40 PM
You can use buckshot in the.36.
Cheap shooting.

1 1/2 buck works very well in a .32 , 1,280 ball to the jar it's not worth casting.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/

AntiqueSledMan
01-26-2021, 06:34 AM
Hello Wheelgun,

About 35 years ago I thought I wanted a Flintlock, I also wanted a long gun, at the time I thought why not a .32?
Well I purchased a Pedersoli Pennsylvania Flintlock in 32 with a 42" barrel, in the past I'd been shooting 28" 50 calibers.
There was a huge learning curve, and I never did get the Flintlock to fire consistently.
I removed the lock and the stainless vent, built a drum & installed a nipple with a percussion lock & never looked back.
I still have the parts to put it back, but never have.

AntiqueSledMan.

fiberoptik
01-26-2021, 02:22 PM
1 1/2 buck works very well in a .32 , 1,280 ball to the jar it's not worth casting.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/

I never knew!

sharps4590
01-26-2021, 03:16 PM
I believe you will be happy with and enjoy that rifle, much wiser choice than production rifles. My 36 cal., flintlock squirrel rifle is a Southern Mountain and I have always really liked that style. Ain't no fly's on TVM. I think they use either Siler or L&R locks. You shouldn't have any difficulties with either, I never have. The 40cal. I've played and worked with about all of them from 32 to 62...except 40. It always struck me as sort of a red headed step child but I've never talked with anyone who had one that didn't like it. One of these days I'm going to order that Track of the Wolf Bedford County kit in 40 cal. and build it.

Jeff Michel
01-27-2021, 11:29 PM
I have a Pedersoli in .32, very happy with it.

waksupi
01-28-2021, 12:32 PM
I believe you will be happy with and enjoy that rifle, much wiser choice than production rifles. My 36 cal., flintlock squirrel rifle is a Southern Mountain and I have always really liked that style. Ain't no fly's on TVM. I think they use either Siler or L&R locks. You shouldn't have any difficulties with either, I never have. The 40cal. I've played and worked with about all of them from 32 to 62...except 40. It always struck me as sort of a red headed step child but I've never talked with anyone who had one that didn't like it. One of these days I'm going to order that Track of the Wolf Bedford County kit in 40 cal. and build it.

I do have a .40 with a Bauska barrel. I was surprised to find it is probably my best rifle at longer ranges.

lead chucker
01-30-2021, 01:02 AM
i have a pedersoli cub 32 and its really nice and fast ignition. Uses a 5/8 x 5/8 flint. Quality seems real good. Fast lock on it. Fun to shoot. 21 gr 3f with a round ball does good out to 30 yards. Any thing the size of the bottom of a pop can is not going to have a good day.

lead chucker
01-30-2021, 01:05 AM
I almost wish i would have got a 36 because those 32 ball are pretty small. Shooting it is addictive doesn't cost much to shoot thats for sure.

lead chucker
01-30-2021, 01:08 AM
Dixie gun works has a sale on them for $600.00 so I ordered one.