PDA

View Full Version : ..another bear...

RJM52
01-20-2021, 04:52 PM
...attack. Friend just saw this and forwarded it to me.

Biggest lesson learned is make sure you can get at your gun when you see the bear...

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/survivor-of-grizzly-bear-attack-in-dupuyer-montana-used-44-magnum/

It's also why I prefer to carry a DA revolver with no more than a 5" barrel in at least .41 Magnum. Semis are fine, carry one every day, but rolling around with a bear I only want to worry about hanging onto the gun and pulling the trigger and getting more than one round off if the first one doesn't do the job...

Bob

ddixie884
01-20-2021, 05:16 PM
All's well that ends well. It could have been worse. I really like the Tanker style shoulder holsters for carrying Big revolvers in those kind of situations..........

onelight
01-20-2021, 05:17 PM
It sounds to me like the bear attack victim did pretty good and is around to tell the story.
Glad he had his 44.

rintinglen
01-20-2021, 06:12 PM
For a big gun, I prefer and recommend a shoulder holster , chest holster or a cross draw rig. If concealed by an outer garment, you can use your off hand to clear the garment and then draw. And if some big nasty has a hold on your strong arm, you can reach the gun butt with your off hand. My 7 1/2 " Red Hawk rides in a Bianchi Shoulder Holster, as does my 8 3/8" S&W m-29. My 4 inch Taurus rides in a pancake style holster or a Bucheimer Clark Cross Draw rig. I practice a few draws every time before loading and holstering my revolver.

FergusonTO35
01-20-2021, 06:34 PM
We have black bears here. I carry a .38 or 9mm with hard cast slugs when I am in the woods. No, its not ideal for hunting bears but at close range I know these slugs will penetrate. If I lived in grizzly country I would probably carry a Marlin Guide Gun since I can't shoot a big bore handgun worth poo.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-20-2021, 06:36 PM
Lucky guy!

DG

Drm50
01-20-2021, 07:00 PM
I ran into a bear while fishing when I was a teenager. I was trout fishing in small stream in chest highs. Stream was only 10ft wide. I came around sharpe bend and mr bear was rooting around some washed up wood. I very quietly backed up around the bend and waited about 1/2 hour before continuing. I did have a 22 pistol but didn’t feel the need to shot the bear. I was more worried about RCMP catching me with pistol. I kept on fishing but every little critter that took off in brush made me jump.
Spring Bear season was in at the time and didn’t see any bear while hunting that week. A month latter a Black Bear went on rampage and killed several people in a few days. It made Sports Afield the Canadian Army was called out and they killed it. Turned out it had severely infected Jaw.

MrWolf
01-20-2021, 07:44 PM
I carry my SA Xdm 10 mm in a Kenai chest rig when in my woods. They killed a 450lb black bear near my house before I moved here and I have game cam pics of ma and three cubs not 100 yards up the mountain from my house.

dddddmorgan
01-21-2021, 08:37 AM
I would agree with the sentiment of others, fortunate to be alive, fortunate to have enough gun.

And I would agree that having enough gun is not enough. I always harken back to the words of the great Elmer Keith as related to me by my acquaintance John Taffin "I would rather face a fool with a 44 than a well experienced adversary with a 22".

It's not enough to carry a gun, you must be willing to use it and you MUST know how to use it, this includes proper manipulation of the firearm from drawing to targeting.

Larry Gibson
01-21-2021, 09:14 AM
"Before the attack Ken had fired his 629 Smith only once, to test it."

Very lucky to be alive...... no meaningful practice with the revolver, handgun covered up by coat and obviously no practice getting to it quickly, no practice with the speedloader........very lucky indeed.....

Teddy (punchie)
01-21-2021, 09:58 AM
Lucky but sad, wrong place at wrong time. Very good post.

01-21-2021, 10:23 AM
Living your life, the place & time of many events are just random. He was doing normal stuff at a normal place, not "inviting a confrontation". Out for a walk with his walking stick. Glad he was prepared for the unexpected, albeit, marginally familiar with his kit. I bet he is well practiced today.

contender1
01-21-2021, 11:15 AM
All animals can be unpredictable to us humans. Their thought process is different,, and when we encounter them,, it's their decision as to how to react.
Humans often think they are "the top of the food chain," and not always accepting the fact that there are critters out there that can kill you. And not just bears.
Dogs attack a lot of people annually.
Being prepared for the possibility of an encounter is desired,, but often overlooked. Or,, even ignored.

Sadly,, AFTER an attack of most any kind,, people THEN decide to get training or correct things.

My mother was attacked & robbed in her store many years ago. She had a gun,, but due to several things,, she wasn't truly prepared. After that violent encounter,, she changed her attitude & took some advice & training.

Experience is a heck of a motivator for an education.

tazman
01-22-2021, 10:31 AM
All animals can be unpredictable to us humans. Their thought process is different,, and when we encounter them,, it's their decision as to how to react.
Humans often think they are "the top of the food chain," and not always accepting the fact that there are critters out there that can kill you. And not just bears.
Dogs attack a lot of people annually.
Being prepared for the possibility of an encounter is desired,, but often overlooked. Or,, even ignored.

Sadly,, AFTER an attack of most any kind,, people THEN decide to get training or correct things.

My mother was attacked & robbed in her store many years ago. She had a gun,, but due to several things,, she wasn't truly prepared. After that violent encounter,, she changed her attitude & took some advice & training.

Experience is a heck of a motivator for an education.

So many people look at wild animals as almost pets who only feel love for humans. Even deer(otherwise known as Bambi) can kill you quite easily if they get close.
Every year, people get injured by Bison in the parks. People seem to think they can just walk right up to one because they don't appear agitated. They can go from calm to charging very quickly.
Wild animals are not pets and can't be treated as such.

three50seven
01-22-2021, 11:08 AM
"He used to believe there should be more bears. Now he thinks the difficulties they present to people who are living where the bear population is increasing should be considered."

What a ridiculous opinion. He chose to live and hike in the wilderness where bears are present and have been for millenia. But since he's been attacked, now he feels like there are too many bears??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robertbank
01-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Personally, I would discourage anyone carrying a long barreled large handgun or rifle. Go with a 12 gauge defender style shotgun loaded with slugs and a handgun .357Mag or larger. I would also suggest when walking through the bush you make noise lots of noise. Let the bears know where you are. My experience with Black Bears has been they are mostly very timid and will do most anything to avoid you. with cubs they will defend them if you appear to be a threat hence the noise. Grizzlies mostly the same.

I carry my Mossberg 12 gauge with slugs and either my .357mag or 10 MM GP-100 4;2"and a can of bear spray while fishing around here. At a minimum the revolver will be with me all the time. I would carry a 44 mag 4.2" if I could shoot it better but I know I can't so I rely on either of the two mentioned.

We have both Black and Grizzlies up here. Lots of both. We all try to get along and for the most part we do.

Take Care

Bob

onelight
01-22-2021, 07:09 PM
That he got the gun loaded at all after just shooting a bear that had his leg in its mouth is impressive to me.
In spite of his lack of practice I have seen people lockup under a lot less stressful situations than he went through.

Idaho45guy
01-24-2021, 01:25 AM
Biggest lesson learned is make sure you can get at your gun when you see the bear...

It's also why I prefer to carry a DA revolver with no more than a 5" barrel in at least .41 Magnum. Semis are fine, carry one every day, but rolling around with a bear I only want to worry about hanging onto the gun and pulling the trigger and getting more than one round off if the first one doesn't do the job...

Bob

When I moved back to Idaho, I knew I would be occasionally in grizzly country, so I chose a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt with a 5.5" barrel. After reading about some actual encounters, I bought a Glock G29 10mm and added a G20 length KKM 4.5"vbarrel for max velocity of the 200 grain hardcast reloads or HSM "bear loads" that is in it.

My G29 has an X-Grip adapter that uses G20 15-round magazines, and I also have a giant 30-round magazine for my pack. But, my pistol is carried in my old Army Bianchi flap holster. It works well enough, but I may need to upgrade to a chest rig. The problem is that when in the woods, I am constantly adjusting layers. I might start off with a T-shirt, Carhart sweatshirt, and then a heavy jacket, and then by lunch time, am down to a T-shirt. A couple of hours later, I likely have put the sweatshirt back on. Having a belt holster makes it easier to transition. A chest rig seems like it would be a nightmare to be constantly adjusting everything between layers, though the placement of it is superior to a belt holster.

RJM52
01-25-2021, 07:45 AM
Idaho1945guy...was just wondering that since you seemed to have converted the G29 to a G20 why you didn't just buy a G20 in the first place...

Have you tried a bandolier holster? I don't really care for the gun on my chest unless it is in a Hill People bag... The bandolier is easy to get on/off and will go over/under most clothing/jackets/rain ware and keeps the gun out of the way...

Bob

RKJ
01-25-2021, 08:17 AM
"Before the attack Ken had fired his 629 Smith only once, to test it."

Very lucky to be alive...... no meaningful practice with the revolver, handgun covered up by coat and obviously no practice getting to it quickly, no practice with the speedloader........very lucky indeed.....

Let me add: Carried in a nylon holster with a 'cheap strap' those things are hard to release even without the attack and adrenaline.

FergusonTO35
01-25-2021, 05:12 PM
Personally, I would discourage anyone carrying a long barreled large handgun or rifle. Go with a 12 gauge defender style shotgun loaded with slugs and a handgun .357Mag or larger. I would also suggest when walking through the bush you make noise lots of noise. Let the bears know where you are. My experience with Black Bears has been they are mostly very timid and will do most anything to avoid you. with cubs they will defend them if you appear to be a threat hence the noise. Grizzlies mostly the same.

I carry my Mossberg 12 gauge with slugs and either my .357mag or 10 MM GP-100 4;2"and a can of bear spray while fishing around here. At a minimum the revolver will be with me all the time. I would carry a 44 mag 4.2" if I could shoot it better but I know I can't so I rely on either of the two mentioned.

We have both Black and Grizzlies up here. Lots of both. We all try to get along and for the most part we do.

Take Care

Bob

So, it is possible to carry a handgun for bear protection up there?

robertbank
01-25-2021, 07:26 PM
So, it is possible to carry a handgun for bear protection up there?

Only if you employment has you situated in Bear country and your company applies for a permit for you OR you get a Free Miners License available to BC residents. You then can pass a very easy shooting test and apply. The permit I believe costs $40Cdn and is non-refundable in the unlikely event you are declined. If you are in remote areas and want to walk about unarmed (You can carry bear spray) and a shotgun/rifle or you can just carry a handgun and take your chances. Discretion should be your guide. Personally, I do carry a shotgun ALL the time and if I feel necessary and conditions allow I carry a .357/10MM revolver. I do apply for a Free Miners License and do get a permit.

To answer your question- legally without the above permit you are not allowed to carry a handgun for personal protection anywhere in Canada. In most provinces you would require a hunting license to carry a rifle or shotgun during hunting season.

If you live where bears are in numbers you carry anyone of the three regardless of the law. In those areas the RCMP are not going to bother you anyway. Statistically bear spray is the best defense against bears. Bear attacks are quite rare up here but they do happen. I have been up here in bear country for 18 years and none have taken place in this area. I have had four contacts - three were Black Bears and one Grizzly. Two of the four were to busy feeding to concern themselves with me , one was curious but walked off after he realized I was a human and the other went on her way with her club.

If any of you come up here to enjoy the Canadian wilderness areas I would ask two things. first do not under any circumstances feed the bears. Secondly do not stop to take pictures of them. Feeding roadside bears is the same as shooting them. It is a death sentence for most. They become accustomed to humans and come into town and end up being trapped and then destroyed.

Take Care

Bob

jrayborn
01-25-2021, 08:53 PM
Bob,

Feeding I get for sure, but why no pictures?

robertbank
01-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Bob,

Feeding I get for sure, but why no pictures?

What happens is folks don't stop and just take pictures from a distance. In Jasper I saw about 20 tourists surrounding a Black Bear with their cameras going. Around 4 in the afternoon bears will come out to eat along the side of the road. A year or two ago a group of Chinese tourists in a small tour bus stopped and were taking pics from a distance of about 10 feet. I turned my 4Runner around, drove down in the ditch and scarred the bear back into the trees. From the folks looks I doubt I would have been very popular but when folks get that close to bears it doesn't take long before any fear they have of humans is gone. A guy I shoot with lives up where the incident took place. On average he shoots a nuisance bear every year. From a distance I don't think it matters, up close it is dangerous. Disney has convinced a lot of urban dwellers the Whinny the Poo (named after a Winnipeg bear cub taken to England by an Cdn Army Officer at the start of WW1) is warm and cuddly. Black Bears, if they attack are worse than Grizzlies. Blacks tend to finish you off before they settle down for a meal, Grizzlies will bite you up then leave you for dead and come back later. That's where the "lie down and play dead fir Grizlies and fight like hell if attacked by a Black" comes from. I prefer to cheat like crazy with a firearm option frankly but that is just me. Common sense should prevail.

I know Black Bears are timid and in the wild tend to avoid you at all costs, but not all the bears have read the manual. The one that walked up close to me I suspect was either looking for food or just curious given I was bent over picking spent bullets from the sand berm we have in one of our pistol pits. The bear was inside 10' before I knew he was there. Got the heart beat going a bit but he wondered off while I slowly backed off. I guess you could say we had a meeting of our minds. LOL In that case I had a loaded 1911 on my hip so aside from the fact I did not want to shoot the thing after the initial surprise things were all good.

Take Care

Bob
ps Enjoy the wildlife from a distance that is all. That way no body gets hurt.

memtb
01-26-2021, 02:09 PM
robertbank, you certainly ruined a good Chinese Buffet! :bigsmyl2: memtb

jrayborn
01-26-2021, 07:45 PM
Well that makes a lot of sense, too bad many folks have so little of it. Thank you for your response.

Jon

500aquasteve
01-28-2021, 11:30 AM
As I reached for my new 629 I realized I left the lock turned to the left when fiddling with it earlier, and the key was in my lunchbox.

FergusonTO35
02-02-2021, 04:58 PM
I deactivated the lock on my S&W 637. You should do the same.

RJM52
02-02-2021, 06:32 PM
..would never carry a newer S&W with IL that had not been disabled...just too many authenticated reports of them self-locking. All so far have been at the range but one of these days it is going to happen when the gun is being deployed for real and it may not be a happy ending...

megasupermagnum
02-02-2021, 08:56 PM
I had a model 57 with an internal lock. While it never self-locked, sometimes the flag would work up slightly, and did not inspire confidence. The best way to deactivate the lock is to sell the gun and buy one with out it. I bought a 4" model 57-1, and it has grown on me so much it has more or less become my winter daily carry gun. The 57-6 with IL almost soured me on any S&W, but now I just avoid the post 2000ish ones.

Jtarm
02-03-2021, 11:18 AM
This illustrates the point I’ve tried to make to naysayers who claim there’s no way the average person can draw and deliver a disabling shot on a charging bear.

Just because the person sustained damage doesn’t mean the defense wasn’t successful.

Even carrying a rifle, if a you’re on the ground with a 400 lb bear on top, you’ll wish you had a handgun to stick in his ear.

That said, you’re still more likely to be killed by a lightening strike than a bear.

FergusonTO35
02-03-2021, 05:10 PM
I had a model 57 with an internal lock. While it never self-locked, sometimes the flag would work up slightly, and did not inspire confidence. The best way to deactivate the lock is to sell the gun and buy one with out it. I bought a 4" model 57-1, and it has grown on me so much it has more or less become my winter daily carry gun. The 57-6 with IL almost soured me on any S&W, but now I just avoid the post 2000ish ones.

The easy way is to remove the little lug on the inside of the flag that locks the hammer. That done, the gun will function no matter what position the lock is in. For safety, file off the word "LOCKED" on the side of the flag lest some dummy think that using the lock is a substitute for safe gun handling.

RJM52
02-03-2021, 05:33 PM
...better to just make it look nice and replace the whole inners with The Plug available over on the S&W Forums... Keep all the parts however so if the gun has to go back to the factory it can be restored to original...

I did a 357 PD and NG .41 Magnums and it was very easy...

dougader
02-03-2021, 09:14 PM
He had the right ammo for the purpose, too. Imagine a soft lead hp and trying to shoot a bear from the back end. I bet he got some good penetration with that 305 grain cast bullet load from HSM.

W.R.Buchanan
02-08-2021, 07:11 PM
My opinion on this subject is that if you are going into Bear Country, a pistol is nice and relatively easy to carry,,, so long as you have practiced your draw and can actually hit something with the gun in a very short period of time. Most can't because they aren't willing to put in the practice hours to get good.

As many of you know I am a big proponent of getting Professional Training in Defensive/Tactical Handgun, Rifle and Shotgun. This is not generally accomplished in one class, it usually requires repeat classes to actually get and understand the techniques involved. Also there is Muscle Memory which needs to be developed.

If I was wandering around in Bear Country I would have my S&W696 .44 Special on my belt and my Mossberg M500 House Gun (12 ga shotgun with short barrel.) carried Cross Body, so I could present it in a timely manner. The Revolver would be there in case I got separated from the Shotgun.

I am reasonably good with the hand gun and pretty darn good with the shotgun. However I declined to go to my Monthly 3 Gun Shoot yesterday because it has been 3 months since I have shot anything, and I suck outright. I need a bunch of practice to get back up to speed.

My point here is you must practice often to maintain these skills because they are very perishable, and just because you went to a class last year doesn't mean you are still up to speed. In fact,,, I can say definitively,,, that you aren't!

I see how fast my "Edge" goes away,,, and it goes away faster every year.

Please get trained. Please continue to get trained. And don't venture into harms way unprepared.

Randy

robertbank
02-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Randy you are spot on. I would suggest your 638 be short barreled. It is your backup and if you are in back up time it is going to be yp close and personal in most situations. A long barreled heavy gun just replaces a lighter rock unless you can get it in action fast. A shot in the head/spine ends the situation quickly, anything else and you likely are in a wrestling match.

Take Care

Bob

Speedo66
02-09-2021, 04:24 PM
Bah, all you need is a .22 long single shot rifle, worked for her to take a world record....

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz6m0UtU8zN

robertbank
02-09-2021, 05:13 PM
Bah, all you need is a .22 long single shot rifle, worked for her to take a world record....

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz6m0UtU8zN

Thanks for posting the story of Bella. For my American friends, I can add the following. The Cooey Model 60 tubular fed ,22lr likely along with the single shot models were in the hands of every Canadian boy's hands growing up in the late 40's - late 80's. Winchester I believe bought the Cooey Co. and continued production of the guns. I had a Shure-Shot rifle sold by Simpson Sears in Canada, AKA Cooey Model 60. My Grandson will get the rifle when he reaches the age of 12,

What this event illustrates is the time honoured advice - "Shot placement is everything". I would never carry a .22 for Grizzly protection but it beats a rock in hand. Her story was well known to me and my friends growing up in Edmonton, Alberta in the 50' & 60's. Our game was gophers and bush rabbits. My oldest son took a rabbit with the gun when he was 10.

Take Care

Bob

charlie b
02-09-2021, 06:55 PM
That article was worth the information on the head shot location. That lady's shooting reminds me of WDM Bell. Know where to shoot and be able to place the shot. The epitome of hunting.

Drm50
02-09-2021, 07:17 PM
I was told by old timers in Ontario to carry a transistor radio while fishing small streams. The nature of wading may sneak you up on a bear you don’t want. This was for Blacks. It would probably work well but I can only take so many tunes.

robertbank
02-09-2021, 09:16 PM
I was told by old timers in Ontario to carry a transistor radio while fishing small streams. The nature of wading may sneak you up on a bear you don’t want. This was for Blacks. It would probably work well but I can only take so many tunes.

Lots of folks carry radios. I tell my son when we go fishing to sing if he wants. Just make as much noise as you want. That way no surprises and no bears.

Take Care

Bob

Duckiller
02-12-2021, 01:48 AM
Had an uncle that would sing "Hello Dolly" at the loudest every time we went ashore while fishing in Alaska. Did not want to suprise a bear.

RJM52
03-19-2021, 07:14 AM
So rather than start another "bear thread", a question for all of you...

When it comes for a load for your gun, especially those who carry .41 Magnum revolvers and larger, do you go for the biggest baddest round possible and sacrifice a fast followup shot, or a more moderate round to have better control...

I ask as I was out shooting a 4.75" Freedom Arms Model 83 the other day burning up some 300 grain .41 Magnum loads that would not quite seat in a 6" 83 that has been Mag-Na-Ported. These run 1260 fps from a 6" so probably right around 1200 from the 4.75"...and would stand the gun right up. Would not be pleasant at all out of a 4" S&W...

Same with a "little" .41 Magnum Model 97 with 250s that run 1309 fps....will turn the gun right up in your hand...

The standard Remington 210 soft point runs 1260 fps from a 4" S&W and will shoot through most anything short of a freight train as the bullet expands very little. Dick has run a 230 at 1150 and shot the length of a moose...

So the question is, what is your gun, load and theory as to power vs. control...

Thanks...Bob

rintinglen
03-19-2021, 09:11 AM
Personally, I have no choice but to shoot more moderate loads due to injuries to my wrists and hand some years back. Warp speed, heavy boolit loads are not in the cards. My 44s gets full-load 240-250 grainers, but where I live now, my 44 Spl with a Skeeter load suffices for the smaller black bears here about.

memtb
03-19-2021, 10:24 AM
RJM52, this is my opinion only.....as I’ve never been attacked by a bear! Though, I did “wrestle” (got my butt handed to me) an 800 pound (advertised weight - probably only around 600) black bear at a county fair! I’ve hunted them a bit (rifle and handgun) and also have read many stories about bear attacks.

I would sacrifice a faster follow-up shot to a shot with a very heavy, solidly constructed bullet. The repeat shot would likely not be that much slower. If you are able to get “one” (1) shot off before the bear is on you....consider yourself lucky. Bears are quite fast, very quiet. Many people are not even aware they are being attacked ....until mere moments before the bear is on them!

Hence the reason that a shouldered long gun or a holstered handgun may not be of any help. If you suspect (that sixth sense) that you may be in danger.....the firearm needs to be in your hands! memtb

Norske
03-19-2021, 12:57 PM
An Alaska stream fishing guide explained the "Alaska load" to us. We had seen several family groups with a man carrying an extended magazine 12 ga shotgun. The round in the chamber is what we in the lower 48 would use on ducks or pheasants. If the bear isn't turned, the rest are slugs. According to him (raised on Kodiak Island) a 12 ga slug will break any bone on any bear, including the big coastal brown bear's pelvis he witnessed a sheriff kill. The sheriff pretty much dismembered a problem boar in his home town with the slugs in his shotgun.

MT Gianni
03-19-2021, 05:06 PM
Dupuyer is a well know area for Grizzly Bears. It is a light sloped plain very near the front range of the Rockies.
Another one who is lucky that his lack of training didn't hurt him.

Idaho45guy
03-19-2021, 08:21 PM
I started off with a single-action 5.5" barreled Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt and 6 hard cast 300 grain boolits. Switched to a Glock G29 with a 4.5" barrel, 15-round capacity, and 200 grain hard cast boolits.

I'm rarely in Grizzly country anymore and the Glock is more than adequate for everything else around here. I can get 3 shots off in 3 seconds with the Ruger. I can get 5-6 shots off with the Glock and be more accurate in the same amount of time.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-20-2021, 04:46 AM
I'm happy to not live in griz country. The black bears, moose and wolves keep things interesting enough. My 7 1/2" SBH is suitable but somewhat unwieldy. Would rather have a 4" 629 or a Glock 10mm.

MT Gianni
03-20-2021, 08:33 PM
Funny story, I talked to a pipeline supervisor out of Dupuyer who told me why he wore glasses. He got up looked out the window and saw that the bulls were out. He jumped on the 4 wheeler and drove out to push them back in. Cut through the brush, went across the creek and saw that there were 5 grizzly bears, not bulls. He turned around and when he got home made an appointment with the optometrist.

littlejack
03-21-2021, 02:24 AM
I have a cousin in Wasilla Alaska that invited me up to go fishing. This was early in 2017. He has a guide friend that took us on a day trip on the Kenai River. While floating the river and drownding our bait, he commensed to tell us about his and his buddy's incident with a grizzly. They were moose hunting somewhere up there when they happened to walk up on the bear. When the bear spotted him/them, he immediately layed his ears back and here he came full bore. He had just enough time to raise his rifle to his waste, and pull the trigger. The shot did not slow the bear down at all, he stated. When the bear got to him, and knocked him to the ground, he started chewing on him where ever he could. He said that the bear finally grabbed him and flipped him over on to his belly. The bear then jumped on his back, and grabbed a hold of the back of his head. After letting go of his head, he began trying to grab the back of his neck. The guide put his hand on the back of his neck to protect it. The bear done quite a bit of damage to his hand as well. Somewhere about that time, his buddy got a clear shot and killed the bear. He said the bear was some over 300 pounds. The guide was carrying a 338 Win. Mag. He said the bear would have eventually died from his one and only frontal shot, but he was glad to have had his buddy with him. He told my cousin and I, that if anyone ever tells us that a grizzly stands up on his hind legs to attack, it is pure BS. He stated that, that bear was on all fours, and was coming like a freight train at him.
That was one of my biggest fears back when I hunted here in Oregon, walking up on a bear unintentionally and immediately dropped to the bottom of the food chain at that moment in time.

charlie b
03-21-2021, 09:19 AM
An old story from one of the gun writers going on about big caliber rifles.

The .30-06 was 'puny' cause they put 6 rounds into a grizzly and he was still walking. So they got out the 'big' .300WM and shot it 3 times and it died. Hence the .300WM was 'the' round for grizzly. Kinda dumb to me but some people probably believed that proved the 'effectiveness' of the higher power rifle.

The guide that killed a grizzly with 7 rounds from his 9mm is a case in point. The key point is the bear was standing and threatening but not attacking. So the guide was blessed with the time it took to shoot it 7 times and for it to die before doing any damage.

Get a bullet that will penetrate and be able to shoot while under pressure/attack. More than one person has saved their own life by putting the barrel in the bear's mouth and shooting. No, they did not escape injury.

tazman
03-21-2021, 11:44 AM
An old friend of mine went grizzly hunting with a guide about 35 years ago and returned with an interesting story.
They had come upon a griz feeding in the bottom of a ravine about 75 yards away. They were at the top of the ravine. Both my friend and the guide were carrying 375 H&H rifles.
My friend fired and hit the bear whereupon the bear turned and charged up the side of the ravine.
Both my friend and the guide emptied their rifles into the bear and broke enough bones to slow him down. Enough so that they were each able to load another round apiece in their rifles and fire. Those last two rounds finally killed the bear at a range of about 10 yards.
That bear took 8 rounds of 375 H&H mag and still ran 65 yards, uphill, before finally dying from wounds.
Tough animals.

robertbank
03-21-2021, 11:49 AM
The largest inland Grizzly ever shot was shot with a .22lr by a very small middle aged native lady. Shot the bear in the ear cavity with one round/. Shot placement is everything.

Mammals don't do well when the brain is hit.

Take Care

Bob

Buzz Krumhunger
03-21-2021, 12:45 PM
Her name was “Bella Twin”. She used a .22 Long, in her single shot .22 rifle.

Link to the story:

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what-22-rifle-did-bella-twin-use-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/

44MAG#1
03-21-2021, 01:11 PM
That is an interesting bit of reading. But it has very, very little to do with trying to put down a bear that is intent on doing someone bodily harm or even death while bearing down on said person in a rush to do mayhem.
Bell used a 7X57 Mauser to kill many Elephant.
Using the surgical precision shot placement idea to make a point is moot when one is scared to death and quaking trying to do the two step shuffle while trying to grab his gun while trying to keep from losing all control of his functions and hit just anywhere on the bear which is a rapidly moving target.

robertbank
03-21-2021, 02:23 PM
That is an interesting bit of reading. But it has very, very little to do with trying to put down a bear that is intent on doing someone bodily harm or even death while bearing down on said person in a rush to do mayhem.
Bell used a 7X57 Mauser to kill many Elephant.
Using the surgical precision shot placement idea to make a point is moot when one is scared to death and quaking trying to do the two step shuffle while trying to grab his gun while trying to keep from losing all control of his functions and hit just anywhere on the bear which is a rapidly moving target.

Well the little lady from Slave Lake, Alberta managed to do it with her .22lr.

Just hitting the bear anywhere is going to get you killed. Spraying the bear with bear spray will likely save your life. if you are no inclined or believe you cannot manage the situation under pressure with a rifle you best carry bear spray and practice with it

Take Care

Bob

44MAG#1
03-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Well the little lady from Slave Lake, Alberta managed to do it with her .22lr.

Just hitting the bear anywhere is going to get you killed. Spraying the bear with bear spray will likely save your life. if you are no inclined or believe you cannot manage the situation under pressure with a rifle you best carry bear spray and practice with it

Take Care

Bob
I'll say this. There is no doubt it can be done with a 22RF. My Uncle and Grand Dad shot hogs with a 22 RF. I have seen the make a couple mistakes too. And these were in a pen.
It is easy to think something is one way when under pressure it is actually different. Most cannot shoot well under pressure. This statement comes from actual observance of people shooting over many years. Talking about what someone should so and them doing it is two things that are entirely different. While I grant you there are people that can do it for everyone that can there are so many that can't do shooting under pressure it would be foolish to try to question it. Why, because until you are in THAT situation you DONT know. Even if you luck up in a situation that doesn't mean you could do it again.
Look at the hit rate of cops when under pressure of an actual situation where they are under pressure of the REAL kind. It is pretty pitiful. You are dealing with humans and human nature which is something that will never be conquered.

M-Tecs
03-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Some actual first had experience here:

Handgun or Pistol Against Bear Attack: 93 cases, 97% Effective

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/update-handgun-or-pistol-against-bear-attack-93-cases-97-effective/#axzz6pmCBnua7

M-Tecs
03-21-2021, 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM2ifggeH0Q&t=3s

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/update-handgun-or-pistol-against-bear-attack-93-cases-97-effective/#ixzz6pmIQZIen

We found one case involving a 9.3 x 18 Makarov pistol, in Russia.

1. 2010, Russia: 9.3 mm Makarov (most likely) Police attempting to control bear.

Brown bear shot by policemen after attack on veterinarian police s uses, at that time (2010) 9mm Makarov, I’m pretty sure about 95% it was basic FMJ (Full metal jackets) They shot around 8-9 shot, no one can tell how many actually hit the bear

Idaho45guy
03-21-2021, 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM2ifggeH0Q&t=3s

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/update-handgun-or-pistol-against-bear-attack-93-cases-97-effective/#ixzz6pmIQZIen

Just wow! Not at the effectiveness of 9mm, but at the complete idiocy of the Russians leading up to the shooting. Lot's of stupid actions and risks taken.

ddixie884
03-22-2021, 01:37 PM
I'd hate to be up close and personal with a bear with a Makarov. That isn't even as effective as a good 158gr rn .38spl for penetration. I'm afraid I'd have to change my under pants....