PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Caliber Shotgun Inserts

GregLaROCHE
01-19-2021, 12:56 PM
Maybe something like these already exists, but I found it interesting. Maybe others will too.

https://youtu.be/lQw3i0S_F6g

Outpost75
01-19-2021, 02:40 PM
Yup!

https://chaszel.com/product/327-federal-shotgun-adapters/

GregLaROCHE
01-19-2021, 06:34 PM
It’s the same company. It looks like they are popular, because they make more different calibers now.

c0wb0y84
01-19-2021, 10:41 PM
Chiappa has been making the x caliber kits for a few years now. Sounds like an interesting idea but that’s probably about it. From what I’ve read from others it seems like 25yd accuracy is about it.

Texas by God
01-20-2021, 01:09 AM
I’m seriously thinking of making one for 9mm and one for .45 auto using pistol barrels turned and bushed to fit in a 20 gauge single shot. It’s just a floating idea so far.....

sharps4590
01-20-2021, 10:20 AM
lol!..Yes sir. Germans were doing it before it saw the light of day in the US. It's called an "Einstecklauf." I have a picture of mine in 22LR but no means to post it on this site.

Brassmonkey
01-20-2021, 11:40 AM

Haven't tried this out yet but haven't seen another, anyone familiar?

Krieghorf is the name on it.

Markopolo
01-20-2021, 11:56 AM
i think you are talking about these guys that make the einstecklauf

https://www.einstecklauf.de/technik.html

i can sorta still read german, and these are the high end of the spectrum for drillings and so forth.. but they make several different models for break open guns.. highly adjustable and accurate they say.

good luck

sharps4590
01-20-2021, 05:46 PM
No Marko, I'm talking about the one Brass pictured, it's just like mine I think. How long is the barrel, Brass? Mine is 10 inches and installed in the right barrel of my Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling. It's minute of squirrel head out to 35 yards with open sights and my 67 yr. old eyes.

Krieghoff made those in 22LR and 22 Mag. As far as I know from fellow German Gun Collector's Assn. members einstecklauf basically translates to what we call inserts.

besk
01-21-2021, 07:59 AM
The Krieghorf is top of the line. They should be individually fitted to a specific barrel for best accuracy.

Brassmonkey
01-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Whole thing is about 8" long may be hard to see but it has a few screws for adjustment, doesn't just drop in.

sharps4590
01-22-2021, 08:55 AM
If it's like mine, Brass, and it looks just like it, it will have 4 screws that adjust two slides and the....tensioning screw...that expands a sliding device that serves to sort of clamp it inside the chamber. As besk said, they should be fitted and I did have to fit mine to my Thieme & Schlegelmilch. It will then adjust in an "X" rather than horizontal and vertical and, you'll have to remove it each time to adjust the slides. Mine took me about 30 rounds to get it fine tuned. Once properly adjusted and sighted in they are supposed to be removable and repeatable. I tried mine once and it was fairly close. One must get the tensioning screw back the same AND it location in the chamber as it can be off a few degrees either way. Monkeying with those two soon got it back to zero and I've left it. I have other drillings to use if I need two shotgun barrels.

Deadeye Bly
01-22-2021, 11:25 AM
There are some issues with shotgun inserts that must be addressed sometimes. In a side by side double the barrels are farther apart at the breech than at the muzzle so the insert will crossfire. The farther you shoot the more it will be off. Many older shotguns had cast malleable iron breeches and would not be suitable for high pressure rifle rounds. Firing pins in shotguns are generally larger than rifles and you can get some primer flow back into the firing pin hole making the action difficult to open. Snapping the firing pin again will move the primer forward but if you can't get it open then you can't get it recocked, big problem. The shotgun extractors generally are not compatible with the insert making it challenging to get the fired cases out of the chamber. In the right application rifle inserts in shotguns can be rewarding but they are not without issues.

sharps4590
01-22-2021, 04:46 PM
I have to defer to Deadeye on centerfire inserts. All I ever used is my Krieghoff in 22LR and except for the challenge of getting it sighted in there are no issues.

besk
01-22-2021, 07:16 PM
I wanted a Krieghoff to adapt to my 16ga Parker. When one came available it was too rich for my blood.

I had ACE to make a 357 mag insert 14 inches long for a 16 ga Stevens 94 barrel.
Hand loads to approx. 20,000 psi haven't caused problems. I will not shoot standard 357 loads in the gun for fear of pierced primers.