PDA

View Full Version : Mp mold handles

Clutch75
01-19-2021, 11:33 AM
I'm about to order a couple of molds from MP and a lot saying the lee handles are more comfortable. Is it the lee 6 cavity handles that are used on the MP molds?

FLINTNFIRE
01-19-2021, 03:40 PM
Yes you can use the Lee 6 cavity handles and they are available from Midway for $16.99 and free shipping after $49 or so .

Old School Big Bore
01-19-2021, 03:54 PM
The lee handles work well once you glue or pin the wood to the steel. They are sufficiently affordable that you can get a pair for each of your blocks and not have to juggle hot molds to swap them out. They work on the MP 4-cav Cramer blocks as well as the MP and Lee 6-cav molds, and I have used them to replace the lead-grabbing Lyman handles on several sets of Lyman DC and SC-HP moulds as well.
Just have a bottle of super glue handy so you can fix the wood when it comes off while the mold is at working temp, because it WILL do so.
Ed <><

dh2
01-19-2021, 04:20 PM
I got the brand of handles for all of the brands of molds I bought including MP they are nice and good to work with. in time buying a few bundles I got servile pair of BCBS handles I use them on MP, NOE, Accurate and more

Petander
01-20-2021, 04:47 AM
I'm about to order a couple of molds from MP and a lot saying the lee handles are more comfortable. Is it the lee 6 cavity handles that are used on the MP molds?

Get a pair from MP as well,especially if you have large hands. MP workmanship is much better, ergonomy is a very personal matter. But with MP you have a slightly wider grip and thicker wood to hang on.

https://i.postimg.cc/3xPnzqpf/IMG-20210120-WA0001.jpg

kevin c
01-20-2021, 09:53 PM
I have small hands and find the Lee handles easier to use. I just have to keep my mold tapper handy to reseat the loose handles now and again. Would JB Weld work? I understand that the sintered metal of the handles is hard to drill for cross pins.

I bought five MP handle sets that are just sitting around unused. Maybe I'll make sanding them down a COVID-stay-at-home project.

Wheelguns 1961
01-20-2021, 09:59 PM
I use jb weld on my lee handles. Works good. Every once in a while, I see 3 packs of lee handles on ebay for a very good price. That is how I got most of mine

Petander
01-21-2021, 05:59 PM
I understand that the sintered metal of the handles is hard to drill for cross pins.

Not really.

https://i.postimg.cc/dV6Jjtyg/IMG-20210121-235339-044.jpg

Guardian
01-21-2021, 07:52 PM
I haven’t pinned my LEE handles, but I do have tap them back on occasionally. I have to do the same with a set of H&G handles. I’ve got several sets of MP handles. The NOE handles are my preference. RCBS is probably second.

The MP handles are longer in the steel portion in front of the wood, and so the heavy brass molds have more leverage. They are well made, they just don’t fit me as well as the NOE.

kevin c
01-22-2021, 01:11 AM
Drill press and carbide bits, Petander?