View Full Version : jojoba oil

barrabruce
01-19-2021, 02:10 AM
Should I buy the cold pressed oil?
What should I be looking at for lube.
Thnx

Winger Ed.
01-19-2021, 02:53 AM
As expensive as it is, I wouldn't buy it.

However; if the Mrs. uses it and you can sneak some here and there, that'd be OK.:bigsmyl2:

DHDeal
01-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Not sure what you're using it for (lube recipe or PP protection/waterproofing) but the oil I have is listed as cold pressed. If it's cool/cold in the shop, it will jel and turn into a solid yellow color. I've used it to wipe the patches on my PP bullets. Those that know a magnitude more than I suggest it acts like a wax but you more than likely have researched it as I did.

17nut
01-19-2021, 04:23 PM
Jojoba oil has a "nasty" tendency!
It solidifies below some 10degC~50degF and suddenly your lube changes properties.
You dont want "snotty" in the summer or "lard" in the winter.

John Boy
01-19-2021, 08:37 PM
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22942

greenjoytj
01-19-2021, 09:27 PM
So when my recipe for Emmerts lube calls for oil to be added I have chosen to use LUBEGARD® PREMIUM UNIVERSAL LUBRICANT as the liquid oil portion to mix with the beeswax and Crisco.
Check out the two links below. The first link speaks of the qualities of their LXE Wax additive as a synthetic whale oil. The second link shows Universal Lubricant information sheet.
I’ve also been using this oil to lube and rust proof my firearms, doesn’t have a strong odour like Ballistol.

https://www.lubegard.com/technology/

https://www.lubegard.com/products/val/

barrabruce
01-19-2021, 10:09 PM
Yes I was thinking of a substitute for whale oil.
It appears it might not be good as expected.
I have some atf and will try that instead.

I have seen whales at times out fishing.

I doubt if anyone would mind if I hacked a little hole in ones head and use a bilge pump for a couple of buckets or esky full of oil.

I’ll just bend my gaff a bit and hook on the anchor rope and hang on for the Nantucket hay ride...yeah haaaaa.

TCLouis
01-24-2021, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking they came up with ATF (I or II, may III if there is one) long ago as the substitute for "whale oil".

Hip's Ax
01-25-2021, 03:14 PM
I use the cold pressed jojoba in my Emmert's Modified and Pope Modified black powder lubes with excellent results. Yes its expensive but you are only using a couple of ounces in a pound of lube, a pint goes a long way.

rogn
02-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Back a long time ago, maybe 60s or 70s outboard motor gear lube contained a significant amount of whale oil.
Easily obtained vegetable oil with and excellent lubricity is castor oil. At one time and perhaps today in specialized applications it was the lube of choice in racing 2 stroke engines.

mroliver77
02-28-2021, 11:31 AM
Back a long time ago, maybe 60s or 70s outboard motor gear lube contained a significant amount of whale oil.
Easily obtained vegetable oil with and excellent lubricity is castor oil. At one time and perhaps today in specialized applications it was the lube of choice in racing 2 stroke engines.

Went to the races one time and there were a bunch of Kawasaki 750 2 strokes running on alcohol and baby oil. Interesting odor!