PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret Press?

Alan in WI
12-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I have been looking at the Lee Classic Turret press. I am thing I could use it for handgun reloading. If anyone has had any experience with this press, good or bad pllease share the information with me. It will help in my purchase decision.
Thanks!

Alan :Fire:

Dale53
12-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I had a standard Lee Turret for many years. It was a good press but had a few shortcomings for general use (mostly it wasn't long enough stroke for all rifle cartridges). However, I used it for general load work up and to make small runs (I have two Dillon 550B's for volume reloading).

Some time ago, I replaced it with the Lee Classic Turret Press. This has a long enough stroke to even do .50 Caliber machine gun with auto advance. It has a cast iron body and should be VERY durable for all normal reloading chores.

I would recommend the Lee Safety Primer set up for both sizes for repriming as an "extra cost" option that is VERY desirable.

Also, make certain that you get the "four hole" version as you will need it when you need four dies (I use a separate crimp die for all pistol loads).

I think this is one of the best values out there for an excellent reloading press. I can easily do 150-200 rounds per hour when reloading pistol cartridges. I recommend this press to all new "want to be" reloaders. Best value with good production on the market.

Dale53

OldBob
12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I bought one last Summer and I love it, can't say enough good about it. I've used it on small pistol cartridges and on up to 45-70 and its great.

IcerUSA
12-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Yep , what they said plus I like mine for load development , take out the auto advance and you have a 4 hole single stage press .

Do a search and you might find the link to You-Tube that shows one in action with the safety prime .

Keith

Maximilian225
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I liked mine well enough I put my Pacific single stage on indefinite loan to a nephew.
Works great and is built like a tank. The only thing I have run into is if you use a collet bullet puller with it use the cam type like the Hornady. The turning required with the RCBS causes the turret to turn when you tighten up the collet.

Railbuggy
12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
My next press.I think there on back order at this time.

osage
12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I like mine well enough to give my older Lee turret away. I have only loaded 45acp so far. I started to set up another turret for 223 just need to finish up with the powder measure.
I have not needed to remove the auto advace on this one yet. I did run old turret without the auto advance.

jack19512
12-19-2008, 09:58 PM
I like mine a lot. I've loaded quite a bit on mine so far. No problems.

handyrandyrc
12-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Best value for an awesome press there is. They could sell it for much more and still sell millions. I love the auto-advance, buy a couple of spare plastic 'drive key' thingies, as they will eventually wear out. I've only worn out a single one in a year, and that is with TONS of use. They are a $1.50 wear part, so no biggie.

NSP64
12-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Played with one at cabellas today, it almost fell into the cart.(I rammed the counter 3 times)

Chunky Monkey
12-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm glad I bought one. Currently reload 44 mag, 45 auto, 223, 243, 270, & 30-06. I bought a bunch of 4 hole turret seconds from Lee and got all my dies set up. It only take a few minutes to switch out. I take out the auto index rod and use it as a single stage when loading hunting rifle ammo. Leave it in when running pistol or 223 ammo.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/100_1218.jpg

I also added a little light to help see into the casings to be sure they are charged. Doesn't help much with rifle casing though.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/lite2.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/lite1.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/two.jpg

I also made a little do-hickey to hold the turrets when not in use. Just used some old scrap wood.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/100_1214.jpg

hedgehorn
12-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I have one that I use for 41 mag 45/70 and .223. It works great. Slower than the 550 Dillon but when loading low volume for several calibers you cant beat it. I can change from .223 to 41 mag in thirty seconds and it produces fine ammo. :drinks:

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I have one I use for calibers where I only need a couple hundred cartridges for milsurps and didn't want to spend the money on a caliber conversion for my progressive. I've also loaded 9MM with a Lee Deluxe die set setup with four dies. Couldn't be more pleased with the purchase.

If you buy it, get several of the turrets, one or two of the Pro auto disks, a double disk kit, a riser, both the large and small primer safety prime setup and a micrometer disk. It'll save you shipping costs later and as inexpensive as that stuff is, you can buy all of it right off the bat.

Also, the Lee four die deluxe pistol sets are wonderful and work great on that press.

Regards,

Dave

DLCTEX
12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I do all my priming on the press with the safety prime now. Changing primer sizes is a matter of seconds, including changing the shell holder. Other brand dies may have to use Lee rings to have enough clearance, but they are cheap.

ktw
12-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Have one. Love it. Extra turrets are affordable. Use it for all of my rifle loading. I removed the progressive mechanism and use it as a manual turret.

It replaced/retired a Rockchucker. Should have done it a lot sooner than I did.

-ktw

jimkim
12-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Hey Monkey, do you have the plans for that bench. My mouth is watering.

Alan in WI
12-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys. I plan on ordering one today. They are on back order, but I can wait.

Alan

tonyb
12-20-2008, 12:13 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/lite1.jpg[/IMG]

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/two.jpg

Really like the idea with the light.

Gun-adian
12-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I love the light set-up. I've got the same thing on both the Lee Turret and Pro 1000.

It works great and I like the peace of mind a visual powder check gives.

Mike.

454PB
12-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I've had one for 2 years now, really the only press I use anymore, even though I own four of them.

There's a good product review on it in the new Handloader magazine.

Chunky Monkey
12-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Monkey, do you have the plans for that bench. My mouth is watering.

Not plans but just pics of it in different stages of progress. When I get a chance I'll send em to ya!

GrizzLeeBear
12-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I've bee happy with mine. Just got a hornady LNL AP so I can load .223 and 9mm faster. But I will continue to use the Lee CC Turret for other calibers I don't need high volume loading. Don't forget to get the riser for the powder measure so it will clear the primer tray. IMO it should come with the press. The CC turret is WAY better than the older turret press.

Chunky Monkey
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Kempfs are great to deal with!! Fast shipping and replies to questions!!

Here's the LINK (https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=26&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41)!

DLCTEX
12-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Tonyb: I like the light idea. I'll borrow that for my CCTuret and my Loadmaster.

KCSO
12-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Lee Cast Classic Turret and 32 dies sets in turrets.
'Nuff Said !

tonyb
12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Tonyb: I like the light idea. I'll borrow that for my CCTuret and my Loadmaster.
Not my idea..... I beleive is Chunky Monkey's

Three44s
12-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Best press for the bucks!!!!

...... by far!

Three 44s

Chunky Monkey
12-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Not my idea..... I beleive is Chunky Monkey's

Not mine either I borrowed it from a gentleman on another thread! Sure is nice for pistol loading!!

UweJ
12-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Best press for my needs and quantities.Quality is great and the price unbeatable for German standards.I load .32S&W long, 9mm,.38, .357 mag and .45ACP also started on my Swede in 6.5X55. With the extra turrets changing calibers is as easy as can be and the output is great.
Uwe

Marc2
12-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Best press for the money and caliber conversions are inexpensive. I can reload 150 rounds an hour with no problem. Lee has a winner here. Wish they would build a Pro 1000 on the same platform with 4 stations and the Safety Prime Syetem.

Marc

ddeaton
12-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Lee Classic Turret here also, I use it a lot. I have a Dillon 650 set up for my 45acp, cause I load a lot of them, but all else go through the Lee

JesterGrin_1
12-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I like my Lee Classic Cast Turret so much I sold my Lyman-T-Mag and put up my single stage presses and only use the Lee Classic Cast Turret press for everything. Right now I load .38Spl/.357Mag .44SP/.44Mag . 45-70 and soon .243 and 30-06. So do I like it Heck Yes
:)

Railbuggy
12-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Went to the Bill Goodman funshow in Cincinnati today.F&M Reloading is always there as they are local.They had ONE Classic Turret Press,the display model for $99.99.I had to pass on it as Im between jobs now.90 days since I last worked. He advised me to get it as Lee is back ordered on everything.I did buy more 45acp brass and primers.

Rod B
12-28-2008, 01:01 AM
I have been using the Lee Classic Turret press for about two years.

I can't say enough good things about this press. Primer & caliber changes are quick & easy. The only learning curve was with the priming system but once that was adjusted it has worked very reliably.

This press replaced two Lee Pro 1000s that I had been using for almost 18 years. I can't knock the Pro 1000s but they do require a fair amount of attention paid to the primer feed & case feeder. The Classic Turret is a little slower but when you factor in time spent fiddling with adjustments & caliber changes the Turret is not that much slower.

Like one of the previous posts mentioned "They could increase the price & still sell a lot of them"

budman46
12-29-2008, 07:28 AM
my 3 dillons are getting dusty because quantities of 100 or less are done on my classic cast turret.

i store set-up turrets in 13 oz., plastic-lidded coffee cans labeled with the caliber.

budman46

Black Jaque Janaviac
12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I've got the old "pot metal" turret press and have been content with it. I was thinking of upgrading to the Classic Cast because I wanted some means of controling the spent primers. I don't like the lead styphinate dust all over.

Instead I drilled a hole in the bottom of the bench under the press. I ran 3/4" PVC pipe from the hole into a plastic bottle. Now the spent primers are directed into the bottle.

I don't see the need for a Classic Cast, unless there's some guys here who've had both the old turret and the Classic Cast that can convince me there's sufficient reason to upgrade.

Heavy lead
12-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I've got the old "pot metal" turret press and have been content with it. I was thinking of upgrading to the Classic Cast because I wanted some means of controling the spent primers. I don't like the lead styphinate dust all over.

Instead I drilled a hole in the bottom of the bench under the press. I ran 3/4" PVC pipe from the hole into a plastic bottle. Now the spent primers are directed into the bottle.

I don't see the need for a Classic Cast, unless there's some guys here who've had both the old turret and the Classic Cast that can convince me there's sufficient reason to upgrade.

Bingo, I do to, only use an old coffee can. I've got two and I like them very much. This solution for the primers has worked well for me.

Dale53
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
If you are talking pistol cartridges, only, then the standard turret press is just fine. I used one for several years and just recently upgraded to the Classic Turret.

The Classic Turret press is better made in every way (heavier, stronger and with closer tolerances). However, the big reason for me to change was it allows use with the largest (longest) rifle cartridges without disconnecting the auto advance. Since I load for several rifle cartridges, I prefer the Lee for small runs and working up a load - this makes it MUCH easier. I have a couple of Dillon 550B's for large runs, but the Lee is actually more efficient (much quicker changing calibers) when doing small runs.

Dale53

compass will
12-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I have the standard turret press and plan on buying the classic so I can use the advance on rifle cartridges.

Edit: I forgot to add. If you are going to use the lee prime system, don't forget to order the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Riser. This raises the powder thrower up to clear the primer parts.

Black Jaque Janaviac
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
OK makes sense. The only rifle cartridge I load for is .35 Whelen. I don't use the index for that. The Whelen is not exactly the kind of gun one shoots hundreds of rounds in a single outing. Now the lever action .357 - that's another story. The only way to keep that fed is the full index and a Lee six-cavity mold. Without those features there is no way the .357 would be as much fun to shoot. I just can't get excited about spending 3 hours reloading something that takes me 10 minutes to unload.

Phil A
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM

I had the original 3 hole turret press but eventually bought the classic turret press. Here are some other advantages over the 3 hole press.

1. Larger and stronger for rifle cartridges.
2. 4 stages allows separate seat and crimp (better for roll crimping cast).
3. Safety primer is much better and faster than the 3 hole primer (improves rounds per hour).

- Phil

compass will
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
the original press now comes with 3 or 4 holes, and can use the safety prime. The biggest complaints I have heard is the kit comes with the lee auto disk, and everybody will buy the safety primer, but nether comes with the required auto disk riser.

If you were looking at the original, and was thinking of loading rifle, you might also consider getting the lee perfect powder measure.

Plus the fact that the original can't even load 22-250 when in auto index mode. the bullet hits on the size of the bullet seating die when you raise the press and the turret starts to turn.

Dale53
12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
>>>Plus the fact that the original can't even load 22-250 when in auto index mode<<<

Exactly!

Dale53

Alan in WI
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I have one now on order from Cabela's. Lee must be doing something right if most of their stuff is on backorder! Maybe I should apply for a job over there.

Alan in WI

JesterGrin_1
01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Alan great move. I have said it before and will say it again lol. I like my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press lol. The only real down side I have found is if you use dies other than Lee you will need smaller lock rings from probably Lee since the dies are set so close together.

Ugly Dwarf
01-02-2009, 02:44 AM
I've been planning to get the 'standard' Lee 4 hole turret press for sizing bullets and doing single stage reloading operations...

... based on my reading here about the Classic Cast (many great reviews found in my search), it sounds like it's worth the extra $25-$30.

JesterGrin_1
01-02-2009, 02:57 AM
Yes it is worth it. You can get them here for a decent deal. http://www.kempfgunshop.com/

I sold my Lyman T-Mag II and even put away my single stage Rock Chucker and went with the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. :)

be603
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Anyone had any luck adapting other brands of pwdr throw to the CC Turret?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Yes, I have. You can use an RCBS Uniflow with either the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop or the RCBS version. I tried using the Hornady LnL powder measure, but it's too heavy and doesn't balance well on the press. The Uniflow, however, works great and rotates smoothly/comfortably on the Lee Classic Cast Turret press.

I use the Uniflow with the Hornady case activated powder drop for extruded rifle powders and use the Lee die set powder through expander with the Lee Pro Auto Disk for spherical or disk pistol powders. Both have proven effective in their respective tasks and I'm happy with both.

Yes, the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop (CAPD) with an RCBS Uniflow on top will clear the Lee Safety Prime.

Regards,

Dave

Alan in WI
01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Well it's here! It arrived yesterday. I bought the Cabela's kit. I got it mounted on the bench and the primer feed set up, but I have got to tell you that Disc Powder Measure is throwing me for a loop. Lee's instructions leave a lot to be desired. If anyone can give me some help on this I sure would appreciate it. I have been doing a bunch of searches. There are some pretty nifty videos on YouTube, but none for the Disc powder setup that I could find. Any help would really be appreciated as the weather in Wisconsin is keeping indoors this coming weekend and I sure would like to start some serious reloading. :Fire:

Thanks

Alan

Dale53
01-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Alan;
You really need to ask a specific question - otherwise it would take a book and you may have figured most of it out already...

At any rate, the advantage of the Lee PRO disc is that you can swivel the barrel and turn off the measure. Then just remove the thumb screws and remove the barrel and dump the powder into the original container. Just MAKE SURE that you have it turned off before you take it off or it'll go all over EVERYTHING.

Read the instructions for a suggestion on which cavity to use. It is a little confusing to determine WHICH cavity is in use. However, if you watch closely while you are operating it, you can determine this. Soon, it will become second nature. The amounts each cavity will hold are only approximate (each lot of powder will be a little different). THAT is why a scale is extremely important. Sometimes I have to use a cavity on either side of the designated one to give me what I want. Again, it'll become second nature after you use it a bit.

I prefer to use ball powder, mostly, with my progressives. I often use the Lee Pro with my Dillon 550B's as well as with my Lee Classic Turret. I really like these powder measures. As a matter of interest, Dillon pays Lee a royalty for each Dillon powder measure sold (the idea is a Lee patent).

Ask ahead for any specific question you need answered.

Manuals are a pet peeve of mine. ALL manuals. I am a photographer, amongst other things, and you won't believe some of the camera manuals. There is actually a cottage industry grown up producing camera manuals written by people who understand problems MUCH better than the original manufacturers.

Good luck and SHOOT CENTER!:mrgreen:

Dale53

Alan in WI
01-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I am have a difficult time just figuring out how to get the thing set up to operate. The instructions leave a lot to be desired. I have never seen one operate except what I can see on YouTube and there is no good picture of that. All I can tell is that somehow when you pull the handle it tips the measure to drop the powder.

Alan

Dale53
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
The powder measure is activated by the "powder through" expanding drop tube. With pistols, the drop tube expands the case (after it has been full length sized by the "full length sizing die"). You adjust the die with an empty case (nothing in the powder measure either) until the case is belled "just right". The proper bell is the least amount of bell (saves wear and tear on cases) that allows you to seat the bullet without shaving lead. The action of "belling" moves the expander activating the powder measure. When setting the press up you can watch the movement of the powder "disc" and see how it dumps the powder into the "powder through" expander.

I am discussing operation for pistol and revolver rounds.

It would be much easier if you could meet up with an experienced reloader to show you the basics. Does your local gun club have someone who can help you? I have helped a number of people get started. Most everyone could benefit from a mentor.

The first die in the turret is the full length sizing die. Follow the directions that come with the die.

The second die is the powder through expanding/powder drop die. The die expands the case mouth and drops the powder charge using the Pro Disk measure.

The third is the bullet seater die (three die sets do the crimping and bullet seating in one stage).

I MUCH prefer four die sets where the third die ONLY seats the bullet and the fourth die crimps. However, for many years, I got by with a three die set.

Dale53

Alan in WI
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks Dale,
But understanding the basics is not the problem. I have loaded on a Redding turret press with very good results. It is just that I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to get that Auto Disc Powder dispenser set up. :confused:

Alan

Maximilian225
01-10-2009, 11:53 PM
do you have lee dies? The auto disk screws in the powder through expanding die that comes in the lee carbide pistol die sets. The traveling expander activates the autodisk when you bell the casemouth.

Maybe some of these pictures will help

Here (http://www.novashooter.net/press_probs/PressProblem.htm)

and here pics 18 & on (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/56881-lee-pro-1000-set-up-tutorial-sticky.html)

These are not my pics found with google

:castmine:

JesterGrin_1
01-11-2009, 01:10 AM
do you have lee dies? The auto disk screws in the powder through expanding die that comes in the lee carbide pistol die sets. The traveling expander activates the autodisk when you bell the casemouth.

Maybe some of these pictures will help

Here (http://www.novashooter.net/press_probs/PressProblem.htm)

and here pics 18 & on (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/56881-lee-pro-1000-set-up-tutorial-sticky.html)

These are not my pics found with google

:castmine:

Go with this one that Maximilian 225 was nice nough to research. Here (http://www.novashooter.net/press_probs/PressProblem.htm)

As the Lee Classic Cast turret press does not need the chain to use the powder measure. :)

Dale53
01-11-2009, 01:40 AM
When you use the "riser" on the powder through die, there is a need for an extension to the original case flaring/powder through expander (called expansion plug by Lee).

The extension is called the Auto Disc riser. It allows the powder measure body to clear the rest of the dies in the tool head. The riser has a "tube" that extends through the riser to the expander and makes up for the extra length needed to operate the measure. Is it possible that you have left the extension tube out of the ass'y?

It is also possible that the wrong expander has been sent you. Each different caliber requires it's own expander (they are different lengths).

Dale53

Alan in WI
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Thank you Maximilian225! Now it is starting to make sense. I have ordered the Lee Colt 45 4 die pistol set and the 44 special & mag pistol set. When they arrive I should be able to get the press going. Those pictures help alot.

Alan :drinks:

dfwdon
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes, I have. You can use an RCBS Uniflow with either the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop or the RCBS version. I tried using the Hornady LnL powder measure, but it's too heavy and doesn't balance well on the press. The Uniflow, however, works great and rotates smoothly/comfortably on the Lee Classic Cast Turret press.

I use the Uniflow with the Hornady case activated powder drop for extruded rifle powders and use the Lee die set powder through expander with the Lee Pro Auto Disk for spherical or disk pistol powders. Both have proven effective in their respective tasks and I'm happy with both.

Yes, the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop (CAPD) with an RCBS Uniflow on top will clear the Lee Safety Prime.

Regards,

Dave

Any possibility of seeing the RCBS measure on the setup?

Thanks,
Don

silverbuzzard
02-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, now you guys have done it,hear that sqeaky noise? thats my wallet opening to order one. Been using a Rockchucker since '76 when I started. guess I should enter the next century !

jameslovesjammie
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Any possibility of seeing the RCBS measure on the setup?

I'd like to see it also. I would like to adapt my Redding 3BR measurer for use on this press.

kernal_panic
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
i've had mine since they came out. I saw lee's video online at their website and I knew right then they done it. they built the Holy Grail of reloading presses.

the only thing a lee classic turret press can't do is make coffee and load shotgun shells.

When I got mine, I took one look at the rock chucker on my bench and said SEE YA LATER! a freind of mine got that press.

My now departed square deal b looked at that simple yet effective lee machine with a forlorn look. Yeah I keep the SDB for .38 volume loading but the Lee did all my .357 and 10mm, then I expanded to .223 and .308.

I got a 550B and he's eyeing the Classic Turret saying "Ha little red machine I can load 400 rounds of pistol AND rifle ammo in an hour!"

and my classic turret retorted back "Yeah well you aren't the 1st Blue machine to have that spot, and I doubt you'll be the last. He'll decide he wants auto indexing and a fancy bullet feeder in a few years and you'll be gone, Replaced by a 650. But me I'll still be on this bench. I'll be developing the loads that you and your replacement will load in volume. I'll be swaging the primer pockets of the cases you load, and I'll be sizing the bullets that go in them!"

My freind was over the other day I was showing him the 550B "yeah I'll be able to really crank out rifle rounds with this bad boy, but it will never beat this turret press for versatility."