PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading, just bought a "lot" of reloading equipment

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Hello all,

I am new to reloading and recently purchased a "lot" of equipment which included many items that I will not utilize.

A few questions:
I have a ton of brass in sizes I have no plan on using. 500S&W, 450, 357, 44.....I want to recover some of the $ out on the lot by selling the brass. Do you find an advantage to selling cleaned and deprimed versus just shot?

I also have boolits in the sizes above, and will need to forward those to future users of freedom seeds. Once I get to 30 posts, I will post in the swap area.

Is there a reason to keep the dies I for certain would never directly use?

Thank you

Winger Ed.
01-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Is there a reason to keep the dies I for certain would never directly use?

Not for me.
If I have enough of an odd caliber of brass to amount to much, or dies & molds I'll never use again-
I trade, sell off, or give it away.
Rather than have it in the way collecting dust and spider webs,
I like getting it back out in circulation to someone who will use and appreciate it.

As far as clean & processed vs. 'raw' or range brass prices--
check out the price differences the big guys sell surplus & range brass with dirt & grass still on it, or if its all processed and ready to load.
And read a bunch on the brass prices here on S&S. See what folks ask for it, and how soon it gets grabbed up.

Hint:
If it gets snatched up really, really quick,,, that tells ya the asking price was too low.

Then make a value judgement as to if you're willing to do the work to get the higher-ish price for processed stuff.

BigAlofPa.
01-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Keep everything IMO. You may find your self owning a firearm that shoots that round. But when i sell brass. I Decap and tumble it as a curtesy. Plus clean brass is easier for me to inspect for ruptures.

Old School Big Bore
01-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Cory - 1. re the odd dies - there is no such thing as "never for certain". You never know what you might buy/inherit/trade for. Also, there is a bewildering degree of interchangeability among dies and sometimes some unused die is perfect for that weirdo project/task you didn't anticipate.
2. What calibers of brass do your have? What calibers/weights of bullets do you have?
3. Did you end up with any primers/powders for which you have no current use?
Ed <><

MUSTANG
01-18-2021, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

Continue to follow and comment where appropriate. You might want to list them in the Swap & Sale section when you reach qualification level.

Keep in mind that: You must be a member for 30 days and have a minimum of 30 meaningful on topic posts to start a thread in S&S. Posts in the Swap & Sell and the PIT do not count towards the minimum 30 posts.

There are additional rules that can be found at: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?369658-S-amp-S-Rules-amp-Definitions

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Not for me.
If I have enough of an odd caliber of brass to amount to much, or dies & molds I'll never use again-
I trade, sell off, or give it away.
Rather than have it in the way collecting dust and spider webs,
I like getting it back out in circulation to someone who will use and appreciate it.

As far as clean & processed vs. 'raw' or range brass prices--
check out the price differences the big guys sell surplus & range brass with dirt & grass still on it, or if its all processed and ready to load.
And read a bunch on the brass prices here on S&S. See what folks ask for it, and how soon it gets grabbed up.

Hint:
If it gets snatched up really, really quick,,, that tells ya the asking price was too low.

Then make a value judgement as to if you're willing to do the work to get the higher-ish price for processed stuff.

Thank you sir.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:01 PM
Keep everything IMO. You may find your self owning a firearm that shoots that round. But when i sell brass. I Decap and tumble it as a curtesy. Plus clean brass is easier for me to inspect for ruptures.

I get keep everything, but....I highly doubt getting a 500...and if I do, I should be able to afford purchasing again....I was thinking decap and tumble.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:02 PM
Cory - 1. re the odd dies - there is no such thing as "never for certain". You never know what you might buy/inherit/trade for. Also, there is a bewildering degree of interchangeability among dies and sometimes some unused die is perfect for that weirdo project/task you didn't anticipate.
2. What calibers of brass do your have? What calibers/weights of bullets do you have?
3. Did you end up with any primers/powders for which you have no current use?
Ed <><

3: I found 1 small pistol primer in the bottom of a box....willing to sell for $1k hehehehe.....wishing for small pistol primers.
2: So far, 500, 450, 357, 44....I don't want to get too specific and get in trouble for selling outside of the right area
1: Yeah, I get it...trouble with deciding for immediate need vs future. I'm leaning mostly toward immediate need, but keeping some dies that I may use in the future such as 30-06, 45

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

Continue to follow and comment where appropriate. You might want to list them in the Swap & Sale section when you reach qualification level.

Keep in mind that: You must be a member for 30 days and have a minimum of 30 meaningful on topic posts to start a thread in S&S. Posts in the Swap & Sell and the PIT do not count towards the minimum 30 posts.

There are additional rules that can be found at: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?369658-S-amp-S-Rules-amp-Definitions

Thank you sir, I am working towards that goal for sure.

Winger Ed.
01-18-2021, 03:07 PM
3: future such as 30-06, 45

Oh yeah, definitely.
You will probably find out that its very stressful, and hard to go through life without a .45 AND a .30-06.:bigsmyl2:

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, definitely.
You will probably find out that its very stressful, and hard to go through life without a .45 and a .30-06.:bigsmyl2:

Yeah....well.....I'm a 9mm and 270 WIN guy right now....I have had many debates with the guys in my men's group about the choices. As Old School Big Bore said, never know what you may pick up, and I can see myself picking these up.

MUSTANG
01-18-2021, 03:24 PM
What about Molds? Any casting equipment in that lot? How about Swaging press or dies? If your not aware of swaging yet; see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Swaging

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-18-2021, 03:29 PM
corybrown50,
Welcome to the forum.

Brass:
When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in anyway. Some people who are new to the hobby are likely to do damage by incorrectly cleaning and processing the brass, so I'd rather do that myself. Numerous times I have received brass that was incorrectly processed, making more work to correct the problems and create more culls. Other people may have other opinions on that.

Boolits:
You'll likely find it difficult to sell cast boolits to people who cast boolits. Kind of like selling Ice to Eskimos. But if you have some factory jacketed bullets, they sell well in S&S.

Dies:
Since I load a lot of different calibers, I find if helpful to have a lot of extra dies laying around, but I can say for the first ten years that I was reloading, I had a total of 4 die sets, and that's all I needed. If you have insight into what you will be loading in the next 5 years, then I'd sell all the dies you won't need. I will also add, I haven't ever seen a decrease in value in used dies, so if you hold onto them, you will likely be money ahead, whether you need them in the future or you sell them in the future.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:41 PM
What about Molds? Any casting equipment in that lot? How about Swaging press or dies? If your not aware of swaging yet; see: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Swaging

Unfortunately no. 2 presses though. A Lee single and a 3 hole turret. Not previously mentioned, 7mm WSM, 7mm Remington dies....

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 03:47 PM
corybrown50,
Welcome to the forum.

Brass:
When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in anyway. Some people who are new to the hobby are likely to do damage by incorrectly cleaning and processing the brass, so I'd rather do that myself. Numerous times I have received brass that was incorrectly processed, making more work to correct the problems and create more culls. Other people may have other opinions on that.

Boolits:
You'll likely find it difficult to sell cast boolits to people who cast boolits. Kind of like selling Ice to Eskimos. But if you have some factory jacketed bullets, they sell well in S&S.

Dies:
Since I load a lot of different calibers, I find if helpful to have a lot of extra dies laying around, but I can say for the first ten years that I was reloading, I had a total of 4 die sets, and that's all I needed. If you have insight into what you will be loading in the next 5 years, then I'd sell all the dies you won't need. I will also add, I haven't ever seen a decrease in value in used dies, so if you hold onto them, you will likely be money ahead, whether you need them in the future or you sell them in the future.

Good to know about the brass. I would probably feel the same way.

The Boolits are not cast, they are factory Hornady, Speer, etc

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about the dies, keep what I use, and a couple I'm curious about. The dies are a rather surprising mixed lot. Just found a 221 Remington, which I've never heard of. So far the ones I doubt I'd keep:
221 Remington
35 Remington
6mm/.244 Remington
7mm Remington
7mm WSM
44Mag
500 S&W

dverna
01-18-2021, 04:37 PM
Stuff is selling at a premium right now. Sell the stuff you are sure you will not use in the next 3 years and cash it out. Buy the stuff you need.

IE something like .500 S&W brass is useless...get rid of it. It takes a special kind of person to "need" a gun like that. And an even more special one to use it effectively.

Nothing wrong with toys if you can afford them, but get your basics needs addressed first. Put together a plan and review it every couple of years.

BTW, you do not "need" both a .270 and .30/06, unless you are going after moose, then get a .300 Mag. Anyone telling you that is not too bright.

M-Tecs
01-18-2021, 04:43 PM
I prefer brass to not be cleaned. It's much easier to tell if its once fired or multiple fired.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Stuff is selling at a premium right now. Sell the stuff you are sure you will not use in the next 3 years and cash it out. Buy the stuff you need.

IE something like .500 S&W brass is useless...get rid of it. It takes a special kind of person to "need" a gun like that. And an even more special one to use it effectively.

Nothing wrong with toys if you can afford them, but get your basics needs addressed first. Put together a plan and review it every couple of years.

BTW, you do not "need" both a .270 and .30/06, unless you are going after moose, then get a .300 Mag. Anyone telling you that is not too bright.

Definitely agree with the 500, I don't want to insult anyone, I just cannot see myself using that and exploding half a deer in the woods.
Keeping the 30/06 was with the idea I may eventually forward the 270 to my son (7yo right now) or that I would pickup a 30/06 on the cheap. Same idea for 45.
No moose in Ohio yet.
I also agree on the premium....I'm all over the internet looking for 270 WIN FL....crazy prices.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 04:50 PM
I prefer brass to not be cleaned. It's much easier to tell if its once fired or multiple fired.

Thank you, one more for that column on my survey. I appreciate it.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 04:52 PM
Hey! Lookey there.....1/3 of the way...Thank you all for helping a newbie out. I'm still going through and figuring out what I have.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 04:54 PM
I think I'll be teaching my son and daughter (13) how to separate brass and head stamps.

Bazoo
01-18-2021, 04:54 PM
I say sell what you don't anticipate needing. You can always buy 44 mag dies later if you need them. Same with anything else you might want.

I also say don't process the brass. I don't normally use unknown rifle brass, but brass that's raw is easier to tell. Federal with the primer sealant still I consider as known once fired. A member here gifted me some 30-06 brass that I'm using but, as soon as finances, availability, and gumption intersect I'll gift it and replace it with known. Many are not as scrupulous as I am though about rifle brass. And I don't mind unknown pistol brass at all.

Bullets, I don't buy them at near full price. If I can't get a deal on jacketed I shoot cast. I rarely buy anything jacketed anyways, except for 30-06.

If you did happen to have some swaging equipment, you'd be wise to keep itid it makes for a caliber you're into because it's expensive to buy new.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 04:59 PM
I say sell what you don't anticipate needing. You can always buy 44 mag dies later if you need them. Same with anything else you might want.

I also say don't process the brass. I don't normally use unknown rifle brass, but brass that's raw is easier to tell. Federal with the primer sealant still I consider as known once fired. A member here gifted me some 30-06 brass that I'm using but, as soon as finances, availability, and gumption intersect I'll gift it and replace it with known. Many are not as scrupulous as I am though about rifle brass. And I don't mind unknown pistol brass at all.

Bullets, I don't buy them at near full price. If I can't get a deal on jacketed I shoot cast. I rarely buy anything jacketed anyways, except for 30-06.

If you did happen to have some swaging equipment, you'd be wise to keep itid it makes for a caliber you're into because it's expensive to buy new.

Gotcha.

I'm pretty much going to move on to someone else about half of what I got. The presses, few dies I'll keep, and brass I'll keep are worth the price I paid, mostly. If I can recoup some money from the deal with the stuff I do not "need", then it will make it a good deal.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 04:59 PM
I definitely need to move at least some on, as that was part of what I sold my wife on with it ;)

Winger Ed.
01-18-2021, 05:08 PM
I definitely need to move at least some on, as that was part of what I sold my wife on with it ;)

Good job. This will add several bonus points onto your 'man card'.
I know guys who will tell ya, 'relationships can be built on lies'.:bigsmyl2:

One time I took the boat over to pick up a buddy, and drop off the 1st wife at his house.
We'd go fishing all night, and the wives could hang out and talk about 'girl stuff'.

After a bit, he went to get beer, and soon came back with a 12 pack.
We visited a little more and left.
He took the 12 pack, once outside,,, he set it back in the carton it came from, and that was on top of the other case.

I asked him about it, and he told me if he didn't come back in with any-- his wife would get suspicious.
But if he brought both cases inside, she wouldn't let him go.

Conditor22
01-18-2021, 05:12 PM
Welcome to CB

I agree with Jonb --Brass:
When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in any way.

Uncleaned brass tells me much about what it's been through.

9mm and 270 are excellent rounds

not owning at least 1 357, & 44mag is just unAmerican [purple designates sarcasim ]

If your cast boolits are commercial cast they will be a good alloy for mixing with pure to cast boolits for your 9 and 270.

I'd recommend hanging on to everything until you get a good feel for reloading (& casting) and can make a better decision on what you want to do.

Right now reloading equipment is going for a premium price, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Do a lot of research (on here search box in the top right of each page) before reloading 9mm with cast.

Shawlerbrook
01-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Welcome ! You definitely took up reloading during a unique time but better now than later. Some good advice above. Being that supplies are scarce, you might want to try trading some currently un-needed tools and components for stuff you now need. As far as brass, some prefer buying unprocessed brass and some want it clean. I personally rather have it untouched unless it’s real cruddy.

Bazoo
01-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the forum by the way!

Plenty of moose been killed with the lowly 30-30.

Now is a good time to sell common brass that normally goes for less, such as 38 special, 9mm, 40S&W, 45 acp. During normal times those are so common they are real cheap.

Traffer
01-18-2021, 06:22 PM
Oh yeah, definitely.
You will probably find out that its very stressful, and hard to go through life without a .45 AND a .30-06.:bigsmyl2:

I sold my only 3006 40 years ago and never owned a 45. NO WONDER I am a bundle of nerves.:killingpc

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 06:36 PM
Good job. This will add several bonus points onto your 'man card'.
I know guys who will tell ya, 'relationships can be built on lies'.:bigsmyl2:

One time I took the boat over to pick up a buddy, and drop off the 1st wife at his house.
We'd go fishing all night, and the wives could hang out and talk about 'girl stuff'.

After a bit, he went to get beer, and soon came back with a 12 pack.
We visited a little more and left.
He took the 12 pack, once outside,,, he set it back in the carton it came from, and that was on top of the other case.

I asked him about it, and he told me if he didn't come back in with any-- his wife would get suspicious.
But if he brought both cases inside, she wouldn't let him go.

Nice....
I always remember the joke about if my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her it cost, someone would get a SMOKING DEAL....

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Welcome to CB

I agree with Jonb --Brass:
When I buy brass, and I have bought a lot from many different sellers over the last 15 years, I prefer it Not cleaned and Not processed in any way.

Uncleaned brass tells me much about what it's been through.

9mm and 270 are excellent rounds

not owning at least 1 357, & 44mag is just unAmerican [purple designates sarcasim ]

If your cast boolits are commercial cast they will be a good alloy for mixing with pure to cast boolits for your 9 and 270.

I'd recommend hanging on to everything until you get a good feel for reloading (& casting) and can make a better decision on what you want to do.

Right now reloading equipment is going for a premium price, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Do a lot of research (on here search box in the top right of each page) before reloading 9mm with cast.

All the boolits are factory JHP or similar.
I don't own a 357, but I do have my grandfather's detective special snubnose 38, is that close enough?

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 06:41 PM
Welcome ! You definitely took up reloading during a unique time but better now than later. Some good advice above. Being that supplies are scarce, you might want to try trading some currently un-needed tools and components for stuff you now need. As far as brass, some prefer buying unprocessed brass and some want it clean. I personally rather have it untouched unless it’s real cruddy.

That hopefully is the plan. I have handloading tools for the 270, so I already have the components there. I would definitely trade for powder, primers....working on another horde I just found out about. Plenty of money to be made if you have the money to spend on a horde and part it out....

Sounds like untouched brass is the way to go....definitely easier for me...

Agarbers
01-18-2021, 06:42 PM
I agree with some here. With the market as it is, it's time to sell the unneeded items or trade for stuff you want. That's exactly what I have been doing. I shoot CAS matches and afterward pick up all the .223 and 9 mm I can that other matches left. What used to be worthless currently brings good money, enough I can justify cool new casting, PC, and reloading toys. I wet tumble all my brass because I like stuff shiny and clean even if I'm selling it.

Keep the 30-06 brass and go over to the CMP website and order an M1 Garand, the greatest battle rifle ever produced, while they are still available. You can also put in for the 1911 lottery. I did.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the forum by the way!

Plenty of moose been killed with the lowly 30-30.

Now is a good time to sell common brass that normally goes for less, such as 38 special, 9mm, 40S&W, 45 acp. During normal times those are so common they are real cheap.

Thanks Bazoo.....
Where are you killing moose in Kentucky? I knew there were a few elk.....

Conditor22
01-18-2021, 06:57 PM
All the boolits are factory JHP or similar.
I don't own a 357, but I do have my grandfather's detective special snubnose 38, is that close enough?

.357 boolits will work in the 38 :)

Bazoo
01-18-2021, 07:23 PM
Thanks Bazoo.....
Where are you killing moose in Kentucky? I knew there were a few elk.....

From the computer chair. But I do have a 30-30.

Interesting story I read, true account of Olive Frederickson in the book silence is the north. She was out of meat, and all she had was a 30-30, and best I recall only 4 cartridges for it. She loaded her kids, either two or three of them, in a canoe and went looking. She advised them to hunker down and plug their ears if they seen a moose. They seen one and she dropped it with best I recall, 1 of her for cartridges.

Anyways, I'd sure love to get an elk, but I ain't had the chance of yet. If close, I'd love to take it with my 30-30 and a hard cast 31141. Got me dreaming again!

MrWolf
01-18-2021, 07:47 PM
I don't sell my stuff as I have found I end up needing it down the road. Never know what the situation will be then. I have donated to members here duplicates that I ended up with.

Traffer
01-18-2021, 07:56 PM

Interesting story I read, true account of Olive Frederickson in the book silence is the north. She was out of meat, and all she had was a 30-30, and best I recall only 4 cartridges for it. She loaded her kids, either two or three of them, in a canoe and went looking. She advised them to hunker down and plug their ears if they seen a moose. They seen one and she dropped it with best I recall, 1 of her for cartridges.

Anyways, I'd sure love to get an elk, but I ain't had the chance of yet. If close, I'd love to take it with my 30-30 and a hard cast 31141. Got me dreaming again!

Oh Oh here come the 30-30 stories. My dad (Born in 1904) thought we were nuts to use bolt guns. He thought a Model 94 was the only rifle a fella ever needed. But if you wanted a bigger gun get a 32 Special.

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 08:11 PM
.357 boolits will work in the 38 :)Yes sir, that's the plan. Load them lighter...and play some

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

corybrown50
01-18-2021, 08:13 PM

Anyways, I'd sure love to get an elk, but I ain't had the chance of yet. If close, I'd love to take it with my 30-30 and a hard cast 31141. Got me dreaming again!Yeah, I've been told that a non resident has a better chance to get one of those elk tags than a resident. I'll put in for one sooner or later.

Winger Ed.
01-18-2021, 08:13 PM
I sold my only 3006 40 years ago and never owned a 45. NO WONDER I am a bundle of nerves.:killingpc

Oh yeah. I learned early on that life is not complete unless you have at least one 1911 and a .30-06.:guntootsmiley:

Ural Driver
01-18-2021, 08:48 PM

............this...........

Bazoo
01-18-2021, 09:10 PM
Here, if elk wander outside the "elk zone", you can take one provided it's season and you have an elk tag. They don't wander out of the elk zone often I think. And you have to find someone willing to let you hunt. I'm in the middle part of the state.

We are getting bears round here, no season yet. I seen a bear track about 15 years ago; Unmistakeable.

Conditor22
01-18-2021, 10:31 PM
Remember don't offer to buy or sell on this thread.

## selling some factory bullets will make your wife happy quicker than selling dies, check the new prices online.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 12:14 AM
Here, if elk wander outside the "elk zone", you can take one provided it's season and you have an elk tag. They don't wander out of the elk zone often I think. And you have to find someone willing to let you hunt. I'm in the middle part of the state.

We are getting bears round here, no season yet. I seen a bear track about 15 years ago; Unmistakeable.Just up north here it is open season year round for wild hogs. Before this Covid garbage a buddy and I were heading south for a public land hunt in Florida. They come as close as possible to giving them away. Free camping, no tags, you don't even have to get a hunting license for them, only pay an access fee for the land.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 12:15 AM
Remember don't offer to buy or sell on this thread.

## selling some factory bullets will make your wife happy quicker than selling dies, check the new prices online.Yes sir, definitely. This was mostly survey into.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 12:16 AM
Oh yeah. I learned early on that life is not complete unless you have at least one 1911 and a .30-06.:guntootsmiley:Someday.... The 1911 is the 45 I want.

VariableRecall
01-19-2021, 11:49 AM
Someday.... The 1911 is the 45 I want.

Hi there from another fellow that's fairly new to this website! I'm new to reloading as well. Basically out of necessity in these not so wonderful times.
I'd certainly recommend my brother's choice for a .45 ACP handgun, a Rock Island Armory 1911FS! It was very competitively priced for a brand new GI styled 1911 clone and it runs great!

I have a S&W Model 10-5 in .38 Special, so we certainly have differences in opinions.

farmbif
01-19-2021, 01:30 PM
just a crazy opinion from what ive been reading
if you have a 38 spl and 357 brass, just trim it down 1/8 inch. its a lot easier than what someone else was trying reaming primer pockets to large pistol size because he dint have small pistol primers. 38 spl is a whole lot of fun, you don't need much powder the brass lasts a long long time and its great for practice shooting, or even self defense.
keep posting you will have that count up to 30 before you know it.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 02:58 PM
just a crazy opinion from what ive been reading
if you have a 38 spl and 357 brass, just trim it down 1/8 inch. its a lot easier than what someone else was trying reaming primer pockets to large pistol size because he dint have small pistol primers. 38 spl is a whole lot of fun, you don't need much powder the brass lasts a long long time and its great for practice shooting, or even self defense.
keep posting you will have that count up to 30 before you know it.

Yes, the 38 and 357 brass are keepers for sure. I enjoy shooting the 38 for sure. His Model 59, not as much, but I am a nostalgic person to my heart, so getting rid of it would be extremely tough.
Before looking for another handgun, I need to keep my previous promise to my wife, and forward some of this that I will not be using any time soon. It is better to keep the promise and ask for something new than to still have the promise hanging out there, at least in my eyes. I'm still inventorying everything....not that it is overwhelming, just all mixed up and I'm going slowly.

I do find myself consuming more and more information, which is a good thing for knowledge, and taking a lot of time. I'll also need to grow some connections for components, specifically powder and primers...that is obviously going to be the hardest thing right now....

wolfwing
01-19-2021, 04:56 PM
The odd stuff - sell off or trade for something/supplies you need. Common stuff that you might own one day, you could hang on to. However, I have started many builds because I got a "cheap" set of dies or an abundance of brass really cheap. These projects have turned out to be expensive as the build always runs over budget. My current project is a 256 Newton on a 98 Mauser because I found dies for $20

Winger Ed.
01-19-2021, 05:03 PM
38 spl is a whole lot of fun, you don't need much powder the brass lasts a long long time and its great for practice shooting, or even self defense..

I'm on board with that.
At any point in history, you can cast and reload for .38s at about-ish or less than the cost of all but the cheapest .22LRs.

Bazoo
01-19-2021, 05:33 PM
Cory, if you update you profile to include your location, you might have someone close to you willing to help.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 07:59 PM
Cory, if you update you profile to include your location, you might have someone close to you willing to help.On it. Profile updated, I live on the north side of Cincinnati.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 08:02 PM
For all those that have PMd me, I'll make sure you are first on the list once I get all things inventoried. There is a lot of sorting right now. Some interesting finds so far, primed brass, complete rounds hiding inside larger cartridges....

Bazoo
01-19-2021, 08:09 PM
Primed brass, you can remove live primers and reseat them in cases for calibers you will load. So if you have a lot, may be worth the trouble to you.

corybrown50
01-19-2021, 11:32 PM
Primed brass, you can remove live primers and reseat them in cases for calibers you will load. So if you have a lot, may be worth the trouble to you.Thanks Bazoo....so far it is the large brass with some primers. 44mag I think (I'm not by it right now).

Winger Ed.
01-19-2021, 11:55 PM
..so far it is the large brass with some primers. 44mag I think (I'm not by it right now).

Way cool!

This is the perfect reason why you 'need' to get a .44Mag revolver.

Try not to let an opportunity like this get away.

wolfwing
01-20-2021, 12:02 AM
Way cool!

Try not to let an opportunity like this get away.

My thoughts exactly!!

corybrown50
01-20-2021, 12:50 AM
Way cool!

Try not to let an opportunity like this get away.Unfortunately I cannot rationalize a new firearm for 15 or so primed brass at this time. ;)

Winger Ed.
01-20-2021, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately I cannot rationalize a new firearm for 15 or so primed brass at this time. ;)

Leave them in a dark room, with some soft background music, and a cigarette.
Maybe they'll multiply.

corybrown50
01-20-2021, 08:51 AM
Leave them in a dark room, with some soft background music, and a cigarette.
Maybe they'll multiply.I don't care who you are, that's funny right there....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Monobill
01-20-2021, 02:09 PM
I had a large collection of stuff as well, obtained much like you described. However I will all be gone before I have my 30 days or 30 posts. So unfortunately some here wouldn't get opportunity. I like this site and lot of great information. Their place, their rules.

corybrown50
01-20-2021, 02:57 PM
I had a large collection of stuff as well, obtained much like you described. However I will all be gone before I have my 30 days or 30 posts. So unfortunately some here wouldn't get opportunity. I like this site and lot of great information. Their place, their rules.

Well hey there neighbor! You're close to the posts...definitely a fun website. Many people that are active, nice, and well educated.

Bazoo
01-20-2021, 04:17 PM
I was amused by that Ed, thanks.

corybrown50
01-21-2021, 12:22 AM
Well..... I've got the inventory done. Just waiting a few more days to load on S&S....

gnappi
01-21-2021, 01:17 AM
I for one have never been sorry I kept brass, bullets or dies I "thought" I'd never use, typically I was wrong about "never" needing some of it.

Needing the coin to offset the purchase is another issue. Right now a local ad in Craig's list is your best bet, but don't have buyers come to your home... and go armed :-)

corybrown50
01-21-2021, 10:44 AM
I for one have never been sorry I kept brass, bullets or dies I "thought" I'd never use, typically I was wrong about "never" needing some of it.

Needing the coin to offset the purchase is another issue. Right now a local ad in Craig's list is your best bet, but don't have buyers come to your home... and go armed :-)

I completely agree if meeting a local. CL is an interesting idea. I have just finished the inventory last night. Just need to continue my "holding pattern" for the 30 days before posting anything here.

Three44s
01-21-2021, 11:29 AM
I would rather buy brass as is.

Before I trim a 357 case down, I would trade it for .38 special with a bias favoring the magnum cases.

Also, Miss Piggy looks better with a .44 caliber hole than a smaller one. I would consider holding onto the .44 brass ..... but then look at my Forum name!

Three44s

Murphy
01-21-2021, 12:59 PM
I have more multiples of items than I do odd ones. I've been entertaining a good bench cleaning of things I know I no longer need. Such as two sets of .222 dies, and I've never owned a .222 rifle.

Odd dies. A good friend of mine loves collecting odd ball caliber guns. He'd not used Evilbay in a long time and was having fits trying to log back in. He posted about his dilemma with his account. Not long before, he'd posted about a rifle he'd picked up. I looked on Evilbay and saw a new old stock in the box set of dies for it. I was certain that was what he was after. I sent him a text asking if that was what he was after? YES! was his reply. They were on a Buy It Now for $35. I snagged them and had them sent to him. Those dies were custom dies by RCBS, they had ceased making them even on a custom order long ago. When they were making them, can you believe $425.00 for one set dies?

Murphy