PDA

View Full Version : Where can I backorder primers?

GarrettP1
01-18-2021, 10:13 AM
Not much to add to the current complaints about a lack of primers.

Are there any businesses that allow backorder of primers?

I haven't found any.

Thanks!

G.

MUSTANG
01-18-2021, 11:47 AM
Me Too. Inquiring minds want to know; who will take a primer backorder? I am OK for a while; but given our climate I would rather have an order in for additional - even if it's 3, 4,.. 9 months until availability.

I am exploring reloading primers and have been down several test paths; but have not mastered "Reliability/Quality" yet. I'll continue in those efforts, but really would like to have some control on picking up provers rather than the choice of "Buy at Astronomical Prices" or "Some Day".

Burnt Fingers
01-18-2021, 12:02 PM
I think most companies learned a lesson a LONG time ago.

If they allow backorders and it takes months to fill those orders what happens is they either ship the back orders then get calls about wanting to return them OR they have to go through and call each person on the list and see if they still want them.

What has happened in the past is people would place backorders with say five different supplies. All the suppliers would get stock at around the same time and the customer would end up with a LOT of primers they didn't want and in some cases couldn't afford.

It's much safer, cheaper and easier to NOT allow backorders when they have no idea when the stock is coming in.

It's one thing when they can say the truck will be here next week, it's another when it could be two years from now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-18-2021, 12:06 PM
Powder valley has them in stock right now.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/cci-500-small-pistol-primers-1000/

MrWolf
01-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Wow. Not bad if you live near there but a limit of one a day with hazmat. Ouch

RickinTN
01-18-2021, 12:11 PM
4 minutes later they're gone!

godzilla
01-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Not any more!

MUSTANG
01-18-2021, 12:22 PM
I think most companies learned a lesson a LONG time ago.

If they allow backorders and it takes months to fill those orders what happens is they either ship the back orders then get calls about wanting to return them OR they have to go through and call each person on the list and see if they still want them.

What has happened in the past is people would place backorders with say five different supplies. All the suppliers would get stock at around the same time and the customer would end up with a LOT of primers they didn't want and in some cases couldn't afford.

It's much safer, cheaper and easier to NOT allow backorders when they have no idea when the stock is coming in.

It's one thing when they can say the truck will be here next week, it's another when it could be two years from now.

One way to deal with the condition is to implement a backorder process; auto e-mail that your order is in and you have 3 days to validate the purchase against your previously provided credit card information for billing - Or you are subject to a 25% non refundable restocking fee.

About 8 months ago I ordered a Lyman Ammo Checker for pistol calibers fro MidSouth. They were out of stock, but I could place a backorder. Six months later the item once again was in stock and I got an automated notice it was back in stock; and I needed to validate I still wanted the item in X days or the order would be cancelled. (Only thing missing in that example was a restocking fee that might be prudent for the Primers We are discussing).

CoolHandMoss
01-18-2021, 12:42 PM

Went through the other primers they have to see if they had any others in stock. Saw two types of small rifle primers in stock. Clicked add to cart. By the time I clicked they were out of stock.

Froogal
01-18-2021, 12:46 PM
powder valley has them in stock right now.

out of stock!!

CoolHandMoss
01-18-2021, 12:55 PM
Now I'm going to be checking multiple times a day... Great!

farmbif
01-18-2021, 01:08 PM
its 12:07 now and cci 500's still shows in stock. limit 1000, perfect opportunity for all the newcomers to get into the game without paying the outrageous prices on the big gun auction site.
I was thinking great, I'll order 10000 to be sure of future, but that just aint happening with the 1000 limit.

snowwolfe
01-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Best way to buy any hard to find component is to be on the companies "be notified list". They will send you a email as soon as the item is in stock. Then IMMEDIATELY go to the web site and place an order.

dverna
01-18-2021, 01:17 PM
Best way to buy any hard to find component is to be on the companies "be notified list". They will send you a email as soon as the item is in stock. Then IMMEDIATELY go to the web site and place an order.

That seems like a good protocol. Lots of folks are going to be fine with only 1000 to get them by. Even at $75/1000 shipped it is not a bad price.

farmbif
01-18-2021, 01:18 PM
in thinking about this, it was during the last big shortage of ammo and supplies that the ammoseek web site either came into being or got good at what it does.
hopefully they will work well with retailers on providing current inventory status of powder and primers during this current crisis.

CoolHandMoss
01-18-2021, 01:50 PM
I think the site was lagging. I was seeing some options in stock on the page listing products but when trying to add those to the cart they then showed to be out of stock.

waksupi
01-18-2021, 01:59 PM
I can't help you with primers, but I can immediately put you on the backorder list for loob grooves!

Scrounge
01-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Not any more. Shows out of stock again. darnit!

Scrounge
01-18-2021, 02:03 PM
its 12:07 now and cci 500's still shows in stock. limit 1000, perfect opportunity for all the newcomers to get into the game without paying the outrageous prices on the big gun auction site.
I was thinking great, I'll order 10000 to be sure of future, but that just aint happening with the 1000 limit.

12:02 here in the Central zone, and showing out of stock. On every kind of primer and percussion caps.

MUSTANG
01-18-2021, 02:15 PM
I can't help you with primers, but I can immediately put you on the backorder list for loob grooves!

Since Loob Grooves are not as popular; maybe you can leave some on the bench at the Range and someone will pick them up that needs them.

kerplode
01-18-2021, 02:18 PM
I don't know of any places that'll let you backorder primers or power anymore. If they did, they'd have 100 backorders for every one unit of product they received, which is just a recipe for a bunch of mad customers and drama.

You gotta just sign up to be notified where possible and keep checking, and if you see some available, buy them immediately.

Buckshot
01-18-2021, 11:46 PM
......................Waksupi, I'm still waiting for those Loob grooves I was promised 6 years ago! I was in a local gunshop a couple days ago just hanging around. They're quite small in area but try to carry as much stuff as possible. A guy came in and was looking at upgrading his Dillon 750, but was also asking about small pistol primers for some 9mm he was gonna load. I mulled it around as I had several 1000 rnd bricks and said, "I'll sell ya a thousand for $50."

He just looked at me and said, "Appreciate it but that's just too expensive". Just a week or so previously the store owner mentioned to me that he knows of a couple places that was AUCTIONING primers! People calling were allowed to enter a bid, and he said they were selling for like $335 plus shipping and Haz Mat! Holy freaking Hanna onna pogo stick!!!!!!!!!!. Trust me, I didn't try to push my offer by ANY means!

...............Buckshot

Rick R
01-19-2021, 12:01 AM
I’m amazed, these places are even out of #11 percussion caps!
That’s how you can tell that things are serious.

M-Tecs
01-19-2021, 12:14 AM
Things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Froogal
01-19-2021, 10:02 AM
I browsed through several online sites yesterday. Practically NO reloading components in any of them. NO reloading dies or bullet molds. Even simple things such as resizing lube is out of stock. Conspiracy? That is the only thing that will explain it.

CoolHandMoss
01-19-2021, 10:14 AM
You would think you'd at least see some stock intermittently. Which I suppose we are seeing, but very very little. Midway got some lee molds last week, gone immediately. Powder valley got some primers yesterday, gone immediately. I think we are just seeing way more people getting in to loading. Consider that before all the shelves were empty we were already paying more than usual for a lot of ammo since walmart stopped selling pistol rounds.

Burnt Fingers
01-19-2021, 10:19 AM
I browsed through several online sites yesterday. Practically NO reloading components in any of them. NO reloading dies or bullet molds. Even simple things such as resizing lube is out of stock. Conspiracy? That is the only thing that will explain it.

It's a conspiracy of the stupid and unprepared.

dverna
01-19-2021, 11:38 AM

You got that right!

Like the fellow in Buckshot's post who turned down $50 primers. I cannot understand people that think that way. It goes beyond ignorance or pig headedness, and approaches mental deficiency.

waksupi
01-19-2021, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;5091361]......................Waksupi, I'm still waiting for those Loob grooves I was promised 6 years ago!"

With all modesty, I must say I DO probably have the most efficient backorder system in the world.

ACC
01-19-2021, 12:42 PM

You better go look again.

ACC

Teddy (punchie)
01-19-2021, 02:20 PM
We tried to order back March/2020 for 27-29 per 1000. They never showed. We found others for 37.00. Over the summer.

375supermag
01-19-2021, 05:14 PM
Hi...
I doubt anyone will find any place that will accept backorders for primers.
I have long standing relationships with a half dozen gun shops and none of them will backorder primers for me.

Believe me, I have tried and they simply won't...they don't want to hear about how much business you have done in there shops over the years, even decades.

Buckshot
01-20-2021, 12:14 AM

................ You are correct. I'm 67 YO and I've been through 4-5 of these 'Shortages' before. It didn't take me long to learn. For some reason I have this "Thing", that if I like something I like to have a lot of it. Also, you should be in some condition to cover "Flight, Fight, and survive". If you think about it there are several things you can do to advance your situation. Some requires a bit of preparation, like storing fuel/gas. Which I do (4x5 gal), and rotate it once a year through our 2 autos, and then refill. A years supply of Wise camping/emergency freeze dried food is kept, and the 5 gal plastic buckets are in 2 sheet steel 'Anti vermin boxes' in the crawl space under the house. I had the local AC outfit gin them up for me.

Another issue is the fact that there are several million "City Folk" in Los Angeles & Orange counties just 60 miles to the west. Nowadays most people can't do a darned thing for themselves unless there is an 'AP" for it on their cell phone, and if the cell towers are down, it's "Katie bar the door". Most of the people in the cities are freaking helpless, and don't have the first idea of what to do unless they're told or shown. So it's a social endemic to find the prepared and get it from them. Just think, recently everybody suddenly needed 5 cases of toilet paper :-) Here in So. Calif water is a big deal if the SHTF scenario occurs. A couple reasons is there isn't a lot (like none) naturally occurring locally. Plastic bottled water will keep a LONG time in a temperate climate. Now if you need a shower every day with this stuff going down, you have other problems :-)

Now then, if you're doing well and several million are not so well off, some of'em will be looking at you. And that's where we come to the fight part, and fighting from a distance is a good idea. Anyone can pick up a stick or a rock. Some will have guns. Those that DON'T have guns will WANT them. I had an O1-FFL for about 20 years. Combine that with the fact that I used to shoot EVERY Tuesday with 4 - 6 guys every week at a local range. We ALL reloaded, we ALL cast, and we ALL liked mostly the older type firearms. This was also during the 2nd big surplus importation period. Like M91-30 Mosin Nagants ran from $59 - $79 or so, but there were oodles of Mausers and whatnot available.

Having a close group of like minded guys made putting together "Group Buys" fairly easy to do. This was when there was LOTS of surplus powder distributers around also. In any event, most of this stuff does not evaporate. Primers and powder, if kept in air tight containers and subjected to moderate temperature extremes, will last a LONG time! Don't spend the kids' college money, but if you can get together you may be able to leverage some decent deals when what you're wanting isn't being hunted by every other male in the country.

.................Buckshot

Winger Ed.
01-20-2021, 12:27 AM
. Some will have guns. Those that DON'T have guns will WANT them.

I've had people want to borrow guns in the past when there was some crime surge in their neighborhood,
or got invited on a hunting trip.

Nobody was ever happy when I told them I didn't loan out guns like books at the library
because they were a little short on cash after they'd just spent $9,000 for rims & tires on their new city truck,
or was saving for a nice vacation.

andre3k
01-20-2021, 02:00 AM
If you're relying on e-mail notifications to get primers you're behind the curve. People are programming bots to monitor every website that might have primers in stock. Soon as something is in-stock it gets relayed to another social media app where guys are waiting 24/7 to snatch them up. Once you get a few thousand people trying to buy primers at once it usually crashes the server. Everything is usually sold out in 5 minutes, most times faster than that. Primers are coming in stock every day, most people haven't caught on to whats going on yet.

Teddy (punchie)
01-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Just for fun look at Baer Auctions. Ammo auction and see today's real prices.

Last place we knew that had any for sale is now sold out. Only thing left are 209's

CoolHandMoss
01-20-2021, 09:40 AM
Looks like powder valley just took the primers off their site for now haha. Either that or their site is having problems.

Froogal
01-20-2021, 09:53 AM
It seems that we have a lot of trolls on this site. I will no longer be commenting on any threads pertaining to reloading component shortages.

rototerrier
01-20-2021, 09:55 AM
I think Powder Valley needs to change their name to just Valley. Would be more accurate.

waksupi
01-20-2021, 01:37 PM
It seems that we have a lot of trolls on this site. I will no longer be commenting on any threads pertaining to reloading component shortages.

???? I just see the usual banter.

FLINTNFIRE
01-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Primers local gun shop $5 a hundred powder older cans 20 a lb jacketed bullets 100@ $15.99 , saw them today did not need any so did not buy .

VariableRecall
01-20-2021, 05:39 PM
I just wish I was there yesterday in that 4 minute window to get me some of those coveted primers!

Does Powder Valley have a "Notify Me" option?

Buckshot
01-20-2021, 11:12 PM
I just wish I was there yesterday in that 4 minute window to get me some of those coveted primers!

Does Powder Valley have a "Notify Me" option?

...............I dunno, but I'm thinking if they DID, it's been disabled, so prolly not. There's undoubtedly folks sitting there in front of the comp and eating breakfast, lunch and supper and reading a book. Every 10 seconds they hit refresh.

.............Buckshot

kevin c
01-21-2021, 01:00 AM
Our club's manager told me just a few months ago that we had 2 million primers in stock for sale to members. He put restrictions on quantity (1K/week) and kept the price to what he thought was reasonable but enough so that folks wouldn't be coming in every week ($40-45/K, depending on type). The club is still down to about 1% of that amount. We have well over a hundred members, and while action pistol can burn a lot of ammo in matches and practice, it's still pretty rare that somebody would use a thousand a week. Our conclusion is that most buyers are trying to stock up. There might be a few flipping primers on the statewide market for ~$100/K.

I offered some of my stock to the club at cost for resale, but the manager told me that I should keep it and use it myself (why I bought it, of course) or sell it at the local market rate.

Sleeping Dog
01-21-2021, 02:23 AM
I still have a few thousand primers for what I shoot, so I am happy. Not really. It is annoying to have to ration what I have because once it is gone, I am stuck. I don't like that feeling.

Thus, I've been researching how to make your own primers. Caps are super easy. Even making black powder isn't hard and you can shoots well (using it in 1858 Cap and Ball).

Reloading center fire primers is a bit harder, but it is quite doable. First, before you freak out, you must work in small quantities "just in case". Thus, you only work with 33 grains of primer compound when you make it, which is about enough for 100 primers.

Short version is you clean, disassemble and remove the dent from your old used primers. Use pistol primers because the metal of the rifle is thicker and harder. Then you put in the compound, seal it up and put in the anvil. The easiest is the H-84 compound, which is the old pre-WWII corrosive primer. Non-corrosive primer materials is a bit harder to get the materials.

Anyway, some useful links:
A full set of instructions: http://aardvarkreloading.com/primers.html
A forum to discuss making primers: http://www.forums.sleepingdogammo.com

rondog
01-21-2021, 05:44 AM
There's a huge group buy running on MeWe right now. Name of the group is Bang Buttons. It will be closing soon though, he's got huge amounts of orders. Getting them through Fedarms, I think it is, and they're Russian made primers. SPP, LPP, SRP, LRP, no magnums.

I'm in for 15K of them. Small primers are .04 each, large are .05. Delivery in late June. Send him payment for primers and order details, shipping costs will be calculated and charged at delivery time

I want you to join my group on MeWe: https://mewe.com/join/bangbuttons

dverna
01-21-2021, 08:32 AM
There's a huge group buy running on MeWe right now. Name of the group is Bang Buttons. It will be closing soon though, he's got huge amounts of orders. Getting them through Fedarms, I think it is, and they're Russian made primers. SPP, LPP, SRP, LRP, no magnums.

I'm in for 15K of them. Small primers are .04 each, large are .05. Delivery in late June. Send him payment for primers and order details, shipping costs will be calculated and charged at delivery time

I would need to be desperate to pay for something up front to someone I do not know, and hoping for a delivery in 5 months. What if JOHO ban import of primers with an EO?

I hope it works out for you and the others trying to manage through this shortage.

CoolHandMoss
01-21-2021, 08:44 AM

I'll try to get in for at least a few K. It would be nice just to know I've got some on the way. Waiting to be accepted to the group right now.

CoolHandMoss
01-21-2021, 10:36 PM
I got in the group. It seems legit. I was pretty skeptical at first but all the indicators point toward a solid operation. My biggest concern is that by the time the shipment is in and individuals receive their orders there will be primers back on the shelves at the lgs and I'll have russian primers when I could have american made.

Burnt Fingers
01-22-2021, 01:12 PM
I got in the group. It seems legit. I was pretty skeptical at first but all the indicators point toward a solid operation. My biggest concern is that by the time the shipment is in and individuals receive their orders there will be primers back on the shelves at the lgs and I'll have russian primers when I could have american made.

I don't think you have to worry about it.

I predict that the primer situation won't return to normal in the next four years.

dverna
01-22-2021, 02:23 PM

Nothing wrong with Tula or Wolf primers. IIRC the US Marksmanship unit was loading rifle ammunition with Tula primers as they were better than ours. I only have about 30k left as people where willing to pay $20/1000 more for the Winchesters so I sold all the Winchesters.

Buckshot
01-23-2021, 03:08 AM
Nothing wrong with Tula or Wolf primers. IIRC the US Marksmanship unit was loading rifle ammunition with Tula primers as they were better than ours. I only have about 30k left as people where willing to pay $20/1000 more for the Winchesters so I sold all the Winchesters.

..............Exactly. A few years back Graf & Son had some LR Milspec primers on sale. It said they were PMC Russian. THere really wasn't a shortage but wanting to stretch a buck I called them about those primers. They said they were Russian primers and that the Marines at Quantico were using them for reloading their match stuff. Haven't used any yet so I cannot speak personally about them, but they had a great recommendation!

...............Buckshot

M-Tecs
01-23-2021, 04:01 AM
The import of russian primers was banned in 2014. I used a lot. Wish I still could get them. Purchased 20K SRM in 2016. That was the last time I could find them. I ran out about 1 1/2 ago.