PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer

dddddmorgan
01-18-2021, 09:06 AM
Getting set back up for casting after a long hiatus.

I'm wanting to get more precise, I never had real problems before but I'm thinking I'd like a thermometer for more precision so I'm looking for the sage advice of you masters.

What are you using?

Any tips, i.e. do you leave it sitting in the pot; if now how often do you check?

Thanks

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-18-2021, 09:21 AM
Before I built a PID, I did the following.

With a Lee pot, that gets hotter as the alloy level decreases, I leave the thermometer clipped onto the side (probe positioned in the melt, near to the spout as possible). I glance at the thermometer periodically and can adjust the control as needed, to keep the alloy from overheating. I used a Lyman brand thermometer...which I believe is a private labeled Tel-tru. Getting one without Lyman's name on it will save you some money.

Brass&Lead
01-18-2021, 09:52 AM
Go full boat – get a PID instead for the electric pot. Mine keeps it within a few degrees and recovers FAST (as fast as the pot can go) when more lead is added.

Jsm180
01-18-2021, 10:18 AM
I have the Lyman digital thermometer, seems to be pretty accurate, for now.

Targa
01-18-2021, 11:52 AM
I use this one from Rotometals, it’s an RCBS thermometer without the logo and price. Works very well https://www.rotometals.com/lead-bullet-casting-thermometer-6/

kevin c
01-18-2021, 12:38 PM
^^^

That's the one I got. While I now use PID controlled casting pots, I still use the dial thermometer for spot checks on my big propane fired processing pot. I rigged a stiff wire holder about 8" long for easier handling.

Froogal
01-18-2021, 12:42 PM
I probably have not done as much casting as some of you fine folks, but I have learned to let the lead tell me if it is too hot, or too cold.

kevin c
01-18-2021, 02:52 PM
Actually, Froogal, being able to read and understand the casting circumstances as they change seems to me to be a valuable skill acquired through much time and intelligent observation at the casting bench.

I'd still argue, though, that thermometers and PIDs are valuable tools that can make a casting session more efficient and productive. For instance, if the temp is seen rising towards the top of the optimal casting range the heat can be adjusted before it does, saving some hot cast culls and the wait until the alloy cools. A PID does the monitoring and adjusting for me, letting my limited attention span concentrate on other issues.