View Full Version : Heat source for smelting.

jcw1970
12-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I've been using a coleman stove to heat up my wheel weights but it's just not cutting it. the pot gets cold too quick and it takes almost an hour to start melting the ww. What do you guys use?

FN in MT
12-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I used to use an old Plumbers Pot. It was a burner that screwed into the old style propane 20# pots. Now the propane cyliinderrs are a bit different so I bought a Turkey Fryer and us that. Tossed the fryer pot and simply use my 50# cpacity , cast iron pot.

FN in MT

johnly
12-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Turkey fryer burner and 12 qt. Harbor Freight Dutch oven. It will melt well over 100 pounds an hour.

John

RugerBob
12-19-2008, 06:05 PM
i had a turkuy fryer on hand and just bought a dutch oven pot at a yard sale. Tried other things, but this works the best for me.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/rrmaynard/lead003.jpg

osage
12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I heat with propane burner either my King Cooker or a turkey one. Using a cast dutch oven with them.

jcw1970
12-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Looks like i'm buying a turkey fryer. I'll have to keep an eye out for an old dutch oven. I've got a pot now that holds about 25 lbs.

klcarroll
12-20-2008, 12:24 AM
RugerBob;

Now THAT"S eerie!! .....That's exactly the same turkey cooker and cast iron pot that I have!!

That picture could have been taken in my garage! LOL!!

BTW: ....For convenience, you can convert those cookers from propane to natural gas by just drilling out the main jet. It's cheaper and safer!

Bret4207
12-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I use a Walmart cast iron dutch oven (Lodge brand) and a gasoline fired plumbers furnace. Definitely an outside toy! Sounds like a small jet engine on afterburners when it gets going.

Pepe Ray
12-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I used a Coleman 2 burner (Circa 1960) for over 20 years to do all my smelting/casting. Only once did I ask it to perform in 30+/- temps. But it was in an old barn and sheltered from air currents so it did the job when I cranked it up. I guess the liquid fuel is hotter than the bottled stuff.
I'd be using it still but for the fact that I set up a more permanent casting room. Got an old used kitchen range. All metal, sturdy burn proof, generous work area,and CHEAP. The gas man tops off the tank when he brings my heating fuel.
Sure is nice to not need to put everything away each time I take a notion to work out there things are laid out just as I left them.
With the snow we've got coming, it looks like my biggest problem will be getting to my shop.
Pepe Ray

imashooter2
12-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Looks like i'm buying a turkey fryer. I'll have to keep an eye out for an old dutch oven. I've got a pot now that holds about 25 lbs.

Hardly worth the trouble of looking around for the price that Harbor Freight wants for new.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44705