PDA

View Full Version : Big powder and Primer score today.

GARD72977
01-17-2021, 01:46 AM
I have a buddy that lives a couple hours away. He is able to hit some of the big sports stores a few times a week while he is working. Primers are usually limited to 1k per day. I have been having him pick up Large Rifle for me when he can't get what he is looking for.

Went to see him today and he had 9k primers for me. Also had some H4198. We went to all the likely spots today. There were more on the shelves than I thought there would be. I only bought some Buffalo Rifle powder today.

This should get me through summer with my 45/70 and 38/55

slim1836
01-17-2021, 01:49 AM
Count your blessings, they line up at 3AM in front of Academy near me for a chance to get ammo and supplies.

I'll just wait.

Slim

kevin c
01-17-2021, 01:58 AM
The power of networking with friends has paid off for you. Congrats!

Conditor22
01-17-2021, 02:03 AM
Nice.
It seems there are a lot more powder and primers available on the East coast than on the west coast. In the 4 major reloading/ammunition suppliers in my area the shelves have looked like the apocalypse struck 70 months ago --- the shelves are bare.

One place says they don't expect any until September.:(

GARD72977
01-17-2021, 02:33 AM
The power of networking with friends has paid off for you. Congrats!

Yea you have to pass some along also. A buddy I work with will get 1k for my cost. He is new to reloading and does not have a stash of stuff

Kylongrifle32
01-17-2021, 02:38 AM
Things we're not that bad around my area a couple of months ago. I stocked up on what I felt that I needed for the next year. Didn't want to go into hoarder mode but now I wish I would have stocked up for at least the next four years.

monadnock#5
01-17-2021, 04:18 AM
Went to a small mom and pop LGS yesterday afternoon. They had ammo! A mess of it! More than I've seen in one place in over 6 mos. No primers or 9mm, but enough of everything else that there were no limits. Sky high pricing, but no matter. Bought a couple boxes of .300, just because I could.

jonp
01-17-2021, 05:45 AM
Just passed on a box of Tuiammo 9mm to a friend that bought a pistol for his wife but can't find any anywhere except at Gunbroker like prices. $10 which is a little more than I paid a couple of years ago for a few cases I got on sale a few years ago. People should have learned after the Hillary debacle in 2016 and the lines then to buy when they saw it.

Thumbcocker
01-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Some of us remember the Brady ban.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gbrown
01-17-2021, 01:35 PM
Congratulations, great score! That is a great friend you have there.

yancey
01-17-2021, 01:49 PM
Yes, great score ! A buddy like that is a true friend .

GARD72977
01-17-2021, 02:26 PM
Some of us remember the Brady ban.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I was a young man during the Brady Bill. I can remember a gun show dealer that would not sell you primers unless you bought a pound of powder

lightman
01-17-2021, 04:24 PM
Nice Score! Thats a good friend.

reddog81
01-17-2021, 04:51 PM
Went to see him today and he had 9k primers for me. Also had some H4198. We went to all the likely spots today. There were more on the shelves than I thought there would be. I only bought some Buffalo Rifle powder today.

What are the primers going for at retail? I saw someone post on a different forum that Scheels had primers but the prices were $70 per 1,000. The shelf was pretty full, which makes sense since $70 will make scalping them much less profitable.

Shawlerbrook
01-17-2021, 05:00 PM
Nothing around here in Central NYS . Compared to GB, $70/1000 sounds like a deal for primers.would love to find some H4198 and AA5744.

GARD72977
01-17-2021, 05:01 PM
These were bought over the last 2 months. The last 1k was purchased last week. They were in the 30.00 per K range.

I'm stocked up an Small rifle and Small pistol. Most places only allow you to purchase 1k per day. I told him to get me some large rifle if they dont have anything he wants. Still holding for more.

fatnhappy
01-17-2021, 10:52 PM
I picked up 3 lbs of 748, 2lbs of BLC2, a lb of IMR 4831 and a lb of varget today. $27 a lb

Winger Ed.
01-21-2021, 07:13 PM
Our local guy's shelves are a little more bare this week than last month.
He can't get primers- he never did keep much more than a couple thousand of each,
but he does still have some of the less favorite powders at last year-ish prices.

He's a little lower than normal on revolvers, but has more semi-auto and Tupperware pistols than I could carry.
He's down to one rat gun, but has shelves almost full of bolt & lever actions.

He didn't have my beloved Unique or Blue Dot,
but I got a pound of 231, Green Dot, and a pound of Titegroup to try.
All were a buck or so more than I remember from a year or two ago..

Idaho45guy
01-22-2021, 12:15 AM
I'm stocked up an Small rifle and Small pistol. Most places only allow you to purchase 1k per day. I told him to get me some large rifle if they dont have anything he wants. Still holding for more.

The only place to buy primers for 50 miles around here limits you to 200 primers per day, but hasn't had any to sell for months. They are 30 miles from the CCI/Speer plant that makes them.

And no, you cannot go to the plant and buy anything directly. I've already inquired about that with a current employee there. They have a company store that employees can buy items from, but they are not allowed to resell anything. If they do and are caught, they are terminated.

ryanmattes
01-26-2021, 03:54 PM
What are the primers going for at retail? I saw someone post on a different forum that Scheels had primers but the prices were $70 per 1,000. The shelf was pretty full, which makes sense since $70 will make scalping them much less profitable.The (new) Scheels in Dallas is still selling at "normal" price when they get shipments in, which are intermittent. The caveat being that they only sell 100 packs, 3 per customer per primer type, and they only have 1lb powder when they get it. When something I need comes in I'll send the whole family up there to buy 3 each and end up with 1200-1500, depending on who's home at the time.

So it's around $0.04/primer for standard stuff, up to $0.06 for benchrest and stuff like that. Not great, but not gouging like a lot of places. Powder is also still the "before" price, $20-$30/lb, depending on the powder.

Not a good time to build up a supply, but still reasonable if you get low on a component. I started a thread to let people know what they have when they get shipments in, and they got some Hornady .224 in today, 53 and 55gn V-Max for $20 per 100.

One of my kids works there, so he tells me when he sees boxes in the back. He doesn't know exactly what they get, but he'll tell me "A box from Hodgedon and one from CCI," so I'll drop by in the morning and see what they have.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

lar45
01-29-2021, 12:13 PM
I have a friend in Minnesota that says his LGS will only sell 1 box of ammo if you buy a gun to go with it.

tinsnips
01-29-2021, 09:12 PM
My gun shop one pound of powder,one box of bullets. Kind of glad I make my own boollits.

gbrown
01-29-2021, 09:51 PM
My gun shop one pound of powder,one box of bullets. Kind of glad I make my own boollits.

Yup. Agreed.

Hossfly
01-29-2021, 09:57 PM
I use to look at the price of bullets but since making my own at 600-1000 at a time don’t care anymore. Primers now that’s different, have plenty powder but always looking for more, more is better.

remy3424
01-29-2021, 10:25 PM

Same here! Use jacketed for our annual prairie dawg shoot, learned long ago to stock-up on shooting components when prices are low and shelves were full...you never see sale prices in shortages!!! I am sure, as with most here, I can get through at least one 4 year term.

The local Scheels, continues to sell at their normal prices. Recently I did need to get a couple pounds of shotgun powder and a pound of A7 (I think), for a new Ruger 57, they had those in stock.

mrmachinist
01-29-2021, 10:31 PM
I picked up 8# jug of h335 last week from reloading unlimited. I must have bought the only one they had. Had it in less than a week.

Only thing I’m lacking is SPP. I’m right under 2000 so not terrible but I’d prefer more. I’m stocking up when all this passes for sure.

I’ve found all kinds of ways to make primer compound. I am getting the components to try it out. Too bad you can’t make non corrosive without an explosive license. Also going to try to make my own powder... should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim1836
01-29-2021, 11:12 PM
Back in September coming back from dove hunting I stopped at an old gun shop that I always wanted to check out in the past. Walked in the door and looked back in time with modern accents. Big heavy set older man (the owner I believe) sat behind the counter. Couple of other customers ahead of me so I just looked around. I had spied a bunch of primers as I walked in and wanted to see what other goodies might be there. The other customers had finally left and I politely asked the price on the primers to which he replied "Can't sell ya any, never seen you before and they are only for my regular customers".

Since I only go by there on opening weekend of dove season, I guess he won't notice if I just drive by and salute. He won't miss me.

Guess I really don't blame him though, he's just looking out for his home boys. No respect for the elderly anymore. :groner:

Slim

flyer1
01-30-2021, 02:09 PM
Must have been Merle's gun shop in Granbury.

BrutalAB
01-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Back in September coming back from dove hunting I stopped at an old gun shop that I always wanted to check out in the past. Walked in the door and looked back in time with modern accents. Big heavy set older man (the owner I believe) sat behind the counter. Couple of other customers ahead of me so I just looked around. I had spied a bunch of primers as I walked in and wanted to see what other goodies might be there. The other customers had finally left and I politely asked the price on the primers to which he replied "Can't sell ya any, never seen you before and they are only for my regular customers".

Since I only go by there on opening weekend of dove season, I guess he won't notice if I just drive by and salute. He won't miss me.

Guess I really don't blame him though, he's just looking out for his home boys. No respect for the elderly anymore. :groner:

Slim

His business to do what he wants..... buuut... if he only wants to sell those to his buddies, he shouldnt have ever put them out on the shelf. Would have created a stronger tie to his regulars as well as prevented the absolute dumpster fire of customer service he gave you. Absolutly would have done the same as you.

Texas by God
01-30-2021, 03:32 PM
Must have been Merle's gun shop in Granbury.Sounds like it. I went twice; the second time was to see if he was off his meds the first time. Nope. He was telling a customer that the Remington .22 shells that Wal-Mart sells are of less quality than the ones he sells.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

slim1836
01-30-2021, 09:49 PM
Y'all guessed it correctly, Liked the small shop and I prefer going to those when I see them, however, that's one I'm not going to visit again. I usually don't like to name them in public in order to not offend them but since the cats out of the bag......

Guess his reputation precedes himself.

Slim

BrutalAB
01-31-2021, 09:42 AM
Thats impressively bad. Strikes my interest into how he is still in business.

Thumbcocker
01-31-2021, 10:05 AM
I was at a gun shop last week. A customer asked what happened to the powder rack? The propritoress said it was stored in back since it was just taking up space with no powder on it.

flyer1
01-31-2021, 10:13 AM
We all would like to know that answer.

Rcmaveric
01-31-2021, 10:14 AM
I am jealous. I needed that Buffalo bore before the pandemic.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk