PDA

View Full Version : Need help

cottonstalk
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I am new to cast stuff and have done some research and am at a wall and need advice.I have a Ruger Redhawk that I am handgun hunting with and am wanting to try some cast loads.I have slugged my cylinder and got .4315 for "chamber Throats",I think that is the correct term.I do not know whether to order .431,.4315,or.432 bullets.I have read that some like to go .001 over.So I am confused can anyone point me in the right direction?

leadeye
12-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Slug your bore, it is the next piece of info you will need.:Fire:

MT Gianni
12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
The bullets should be bigger than the throat and the throats bigger than the bore. The good news is it looks like the cylinders are uniform.

Boerrancher
12-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I have a Redhawk that I pack around with me. It doesn't shoot too badly with cast boolits, probably shoots better than I can shoot it. All of my throats mic out at 0.429, and my Bore is 0.427 dia. when I got my Redhawk, the owner of the gunshop I was working at, at the time insisted that I send it off to the custom shop and have it worked over. I never saw the gun until it came back, the only reason my boss at the time gave me for spending the extra money was that, "some Rugers have problems." It was not until I joined here that I found out that Ruger was bad for having smaller throats on the cylinder than what the bore was. I doubt you will have this problem considering your throats are 4315. Slug your bore as every one else has said and go from there.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Tom Herman
12-21-2008, 11:23 AM
when I got my Redhawk, the owner of the gunshop I was working at, at the time insisted that I send it off to the custom shop and have it worked over. I never saw the gun until it came back, the only reason my boss at the time gave me for spending the extra money was that, "some Rugers have problems." Joe

I've had nothing but problems with my .45 LC Redhawks as they came out of the box. None of the three would extract properly: The shells would stick in the extractor plate, and about every third or fourth cylinder full would simply not want to come out of they cylinders. The last one had these problems plus the cylinder randomly binding. This is NOT what you want to see in a carry gun!
The two new guns went back to the factory, the third I was told went back, but actually languished at the shop's gunsmith for eleven months. I don't buy there anymore.
Bottom line: Once the guns made it back, I have had ZERO problems! They run good.
The loads used were all the same load, same cast bullets that work fine in my Colt and Smith, 8 grains of Unique behind a Lyman 452424 255 grain SWC cast from 50/50 lead to wheel weights with 2% Tin added, and my home made SPG lube.
Throats aren't great: They vary from .451 to .452, but with the bullets all sized to .452, we're fine. The suggestion to run the gun through the custom shop before delivery was a good call!
Accuracy is quite good, even with the 4"bbl on the shorty... The 7-1/2" is the one that goes into the woods with me.
Good Luck with your Redhawk! Once you get them squared away, they are a FINE gun, which is why I keep buying them! I just wish they would work well out of the box.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

44man
12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
The bullets should be bigger than the throat and the throats bigger than the bore. The good news is it looks like the cylinders are uniform.
Be careful with boolit selection. Some enter the throats and you can't chamber them. Best to go .431 or exact throat size, but even then boolits expand a little after aging and might not chamber. I would stay at .431. Ruger's are not too picky.

dromia
12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Welcome aboard Cottonstalk. :D:drinks::-D

Dale53
12-22-2008, 01:28 AM
My Ruger Red Hawk (7.5" barrel) works quite well with my standard .430" cast bullets (429721 or equivalent) and also shoots REALLY well with the Lee C430-310-RF out to 100 yards (my range limit is 100 yards).

I have taken several deer with my Red Hawk and all have been one shot kills.

The Red Hawk is my hunting revolver of choice for bad weather and heavy loads.

Dale53

PatMarlin
12-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Welcome to cast boolit heaven CS! ..:drinks: