PDA

View Full Version : "Updating" an old Herters press

richhodg66
01-16-2021, 08:30 PM
Can you imagine someone doing this instead of just finding the right shell holders or an adapter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqzRA0ZT5M

Wayne Smith
01-16-2021, 09:11 PM
Some of us just have to make things! I do it with wood, but understand others as well.

Scrounge
01-16-2021, 10:49 PM
Can you imagine someone doing this instead of just finding the right shell holders or an adapter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqzRA0ZT5M

Broke my heart.

richhodg66
01-17-2021, 02:04 AM
Mine too.

Pressman
01-17-2021, 07:11 AM
Modified ram I understand, but sandblasting and painting is blasphemous

mdi
01-17-2021, 02:13 PM
I understand, I don't agree but I do understand. Sometimes someone (me too) will just do something just because they were presented with a challenge...

salpal48
01-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Just goes to show . There are some who's time is worthless

1hole
01-17-2021, 07:56 PM
Time spent doing nothing is worthless; time used to accomplish something useful is never wasted.

richhodg66
01-17-2021, 08:59 PM
Time spent doing nothing is worthless; time used to accomplish something useful is never wasted.

Time spent ruining a wonderful old press because one is too stupid to do the obvious should be punishable.

Scrounge
01-18-2021, 12:10 AM
Time spent ruining a wonderful old press because one is too stupid to do the obvious should be punishable.

You nailed it! Dead center in the 10-ring!

Green Frog
01-18-2021, 11:36 AM
Before we became so hung up on preserving the historicity of vintage reloading tools we would have admired the ingenuity of this person to make his tool work for him when there was no “off the shelf” solution to his problem. Sometimes I wonder whether we have gotten more dedicated to history than utility. Then again, I enjoy the challenge of finding old tools and making them work as originally designed, so I guess you could say I have one foot planted on each side of the fence. [smilie=1:

Froggie

mdi
01-18-2021, 01:05 PM
I believe no time is wasted. All knowledge is good. If the results from a task are positive, great, you learned how to do something. If the results aren't so good, great, you learned how not to so something. Both good learning experiences...

If a tool has no historic background of personal worth, it is better to be modified and become useful rather than sit on a shelf somewhere to be forgotten...

richhodg66
01-18-2021, 02:00 PM
Except that it could have become useful with a $30 part off the shelf or less than that if he'd been willing to do a minimal search for the correct shell holders.

beemer
01-18-2021, 03:06 PM
I have an old Herter's C press that I started loading with close to 50 years ago. I have a shell holder for a 223, 308, 357 and 12 ga. and the 12 ga loader. I do have an adapter but have never used it. The press hasn't been used much for probably 35 years. I have considered something of the same thing but decided not to.

One thing that has always concerned me was the set screws that hold in the shell holder. The ram takes the load when sizing but those set screws take the load on the down stroke. Looks like the screw threads would strip or wallow out after a lot of use. Anyone have any comments or problems with this ?

It would be nice if someone would offer a replacement ram but it would probably not be cost effective. I like old tools myself but he did turn it into something he could use.

Dave

Pressman
01-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Dave, those set screws never wallow out or strip. Keep then decently snugged up and they will out last all of us.

I would like to see someone make a copy of the original Herter's shellholder adapter. It worked the best of all and is simple to use while not shortening ram stroke.

Bent Ramrod
01-19-2021, 11:41 AM
I like the old stuff as much as anybody, but I would say if he was to sell that press, 99 of 100 prospective buyers would consider what he did was a vast improvement. Especially since he followed through so that the priming function still works.

I forget what adapter it was on what press, but adding the thing meant that the original priming function no longer worked. Too much extra length added or something. The instructions breezily told the customer that he was in his own as regards priming.

That press sat in a gun shop forever until the guy traded a knife for it. No preservationists waving big bucks busting the door down to save the priceless artifact. Not even a GoFundMe page.

It’s still a Herter’s press to most people, and I bet if you cornered old George L. he would probably admit that everybody, from the crowned heads of Europe to the scum of the earth, would have preferred this new improved Herter’s press to any other. Particularly since the modification was carefully made, employing fine Old-World craftsmanship, using the best materials available, following the latest, most well-thought-out modern design.

Unlike all the competition, a slapdash mess of unworkable kluges by incompetent designers, made of inferior materials thrown together by unskilled nincompoops, and marketed by sly hucksters to pick the pockets of the unsuspecting ignoramus who wants to start reloading.

Man, I miss that guy. He himself was the greatest Herter’s collector’s item of them all. :mrgreen:

gbrown
01-19-2021, 05:42 PM
Again, there is an off the shelf part that converts to ordinary shellholders for less than $30.00. I purchased 2 a few years back. I admire his ingenuity, but not his research skills.