PDA

View Full Version : NEF handi rifle 270

DME72
01-16-2021, 06:12 PM
was in a local gun shop just browsing today and picked up a used handi in 270. having never owned a handi rifle i figure it would be a great brush gun.bought for not much money, outside had some light rust on barrel and receiver, no pitting though. no sights and came with a simmons scope. cleaned up pretty good. although it looks like it had NEVER been cleaned before. bore looks great after cleaning. still being fairly new to casting and never owning a 270 or handi rifle what can i expect out of it? what is a good bullet weight and mold? i will get some pics up after while and tell you what i paid for it.

doug

01-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Seems like the .270 and 130 grain jacketed bullets were made for each other. After cleaning, some attention should be paid to the locking surfaces inside the receiver. You can see the (for lack of a better word) plate that marries up to the shelf to effect the lock-up when closed. Those two surfaces must be dry, free of excessive oil. Some - not all - have experienced the action opening at the discharge because of it. Not to worry, I've never heard of anybody being hurt by that, but it must be disconcerting. As far as a mold, I'd check the lists of Lee made rifle molds and go with what ever they make. Always a good place to start.

CraigOK
01-16-2021, 08:24 PM
Mine pops open on firing if you don't snap it shut hard enough. It was worse before cleaning as described. Congrats on a new rifle, they're fun

Led
01-16-2021, 10:23 PM
I have two in other calibers and owned a .270 handi years ago. It shot great with J-word bullets.

Later,
Stephen

DME72
01-17-2021, 07:51 PM
the pictures are going to have to wait until my kids can help me post them,i dont know how LOL. it cleaned up real nice and should be a good rifle. not bad for $125 plus tax.

Texas by God
01-18-2021, 08:28 PM
You got a very good deal on that rifle; just the barrel is worth more than that. GBO is a good site to check out about Handi rifles.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

DME72
01-18-2021, 08:47 PM
texas by god, what is GBO?

Milsurp Junkie
01-18-2021, 08:56 PM
Greybeards outdoors