PDA

View Full Version : First attempt powder coating. Will this be a problem?

Cucumbermonkey
01-16-2021, 02:04 PM
First batch I did, amn hoping I can save these crummy Lee 309-230s(terrible mold btw), decided to just lay them on the mesh because I'd seen it done on different videos. Left some small flaws, was wondering if it will be a problem. Ive started to stand them up since then for all the following batches just in case. Just wonder if I should toss out the first ones with the flaws.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 02:08 PM
I'd shoot 'em.

Don't make extra work for yourself--- plenty of other people are more than glad to do that for ya.

You might not to be able to win a 1,000 yard Palma match with them, but they'll be good for practice at least.

Hickok
01-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Shot'em. Those tiny freckles will not hurt them.

Iwsbull
01-16-2021, 02:23 PM
Send em

Cucumbermonkey
01-16-2021, 02:24 PM
Looks like a consensus, thanks guys.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 02:38 PM
Looks like a consensus, thanks guys.

Good luck with them.

As I've heard before: 'Go forth, and sin no more'.:bigsmyl2:

AndyC
01-16-2021, 05:04 PM
Left some small flaws, was wondering if it will be a problem.
https://i.imgur.com/EiiU9g1.gif

:mrgreen: They'll be fine

Conditor22
01-16-2021, 05:20 PM
For the first go-around that is amazing!!:holysheep:bigsmyl2:

** Not all powders work well with the boolit laying down.

IF you do another batch, make sure you get ALL the excess powder off, the "dings" will be less pronounced or may not be there at all.

Idz
01-16-2021, 05:34 PM
If you don't like exposed lead you can just coat them again. For my pistol rounds use the basket method and shake and bake them twice then run them through a sizing die. I'm still using old HF red powder which doesn't cover very well with only one coat.

Cucumbermonkey
01-16-2021, 05:44 PM
If you don't like exposed lead you can just coat them again. For my pistol rounds use the basket method and shake and bake them twice then run them through a sizing die. I'm still using old HF red powder which doesn't cover very well with only one coat.

I might coat them again if they dont shoot well. Before coating using just stick on Wheel weights they were measuring from like .307-309 iirc. After powder coating Im micing around .309-.312.

Cucumbermonkey
01-16-2021, 05:53 PM
For the first go-around that is amazing!!:holysheep:bigsmyl2:

** Not all powders work well with the boolit laying down.

IF you do another batch, make sure you get ALL the excess powder off, the "dings" will be less pronounced or may not be there at all.

Im using Smoke's powder and it's been super easy and straight forward. Even using my crummy $10 oven they seem to be coming out fine. Just set the thermometer between 350 and 450, timer to 20 minutes and viola.
I used to Hi Tek though so coating bullets isnt brand new to me.

jcren
01-16-2021, 05:53 PM
Shoot em. Btw, if you don't like the accuracy, try crimping a gas check on the boattail. They lock right on and in a 30-06 at least, gave significant accuracy improvement. Also, harder lead helps that bullet stay straight throughout the whole size, load process.

fcvan
01-26-2021, 12:48 AM
I would not shoot those boolits . . . the color is totally wrong! I coat my Lee 309-230 5R with Zombie Green, the wife's with Barbie Pink! (we both have 300 BO rifles)

Seriously, that is not going to give you a problem to shoot them. I lay mine down but on parchment paper. What imperfections that leaves gets 'ironed out' during sizing. I have seen some pretty lumpy and splotchy coating pictures from folks who baked in a piled up wire basket and then just broke them apart. After sizing they were smooth, when fired they were plenty accurate according to the posts I read.