PDA

View Full Version : powder measure for pistols

porthos
01-16-2021, 12:50 PM
i'm new to loading for pistols. my current measure is a Redding. anything better for very small charges (accurate) of pistol powders??

porthos
01-16-2021, 12:53 PM
let me ad that i also have a lyman 55 and a belding and mull. never used them, just like vintage stuff.

Green Frog
01-16-2021, 01:13 PM
The B&M will do for all but the smallest charge volumes, and the Lyman 55, using only the smallest slide is also good for small pistol charges. I have used both successfully along with others... I collect powder measures, it seems. I’ve gotten lazy though and often use one of the dedicated pistol measures with fixed charge rotors. I have them by RCBS (Little Dandy) and discontinued models from Lyman (Accu-Measure) and Pacific (Pacific Pistol Measure) that I like a lot. If you have the proper rotor for your desired charge, you just put it in, fill the reservoir, and start loading... no adjusting required. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Cosmic_Charlie
01-16-2021, 01:23 PM
I have been having good luck with Lee's Autodisk Pro. I use it on my turret press. Not sure if you can operate manually though. It works very well with small charges.

rintinglen
01-16-2021, 01:42 PM
I use my old Lyman 55's for very small charges. For charges less than 2.0 grains, I weigh each charge. I have an old Ohaus Duo measure for magnum pistol charges, and an RCBS for rifle cartridges. The RCBS has two different powder chambers one large and one small, but I have never used the small one.

What I use the most for pistol ammo is The LEE Pro Auto disk. My complaints with it are that it leaks with small ball powders like WW-231 or H-110/296, and you can't go much below 3.0 grains of Bullseye with the discs but it works great on a progressive or turret press for mass producing a preferred middle-range boolit/powder charge combination. I shoot a lot of 38 Wadcutter ammunition, and my standard load is the H&G 50 148ish wadcutter loaded over a charge of WW-231 from the .32CC disc. It is about 3.2 grains. I cast up 10 or 12 pounds of boolists, clean a bunch of brass and go to town on my old Dillon 450B. What I am looking at is the Titan Reloading replacement for the discontinued LEE Micro Disc set. It allows you to load charges much lighter than the standard discs. That would be great for 32 Auto or other small capacity cartridges like 32 S&W, 25 ACP, or 38 S&W for break-top revolvers.

Shawlerbrook
01-16-2021, 01:59 PM
The RCBS little dandy or a used Pacific/Hornady pistol powder measures would fit the bill. There is always the powder scoop method with a commercial or custom made scoop. For accuracy with any tool I like to drop a little light then trickle to my target amount.

hoodat
01-16-2021, 02:21 PM
I like the Lil Dandy measure for it's simplicity, but I'd still like smaller charges than the #01 rotor provides. (2.5 grains of Bullseye)

I've got a couple extra rotors, and am thinking of plugging the bottom of the chamber with -- maybe lead to create a smaller chamber. jd

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 02:44 PM
Redding makes really good stuff.
I'd at least try it with the small metering chamber before I went out and bought something else.

Martin Luber
01-16-2021, 03:00 PM
Pistol, lke shotgun, means volume. Using anything but a progressive loader gets OLD fast.

That said, l like a fixed cavity measure. It can't get out of adjustment.

fa38
01-16-2021, 03:56 PM
With the Redding small chamber I usually bump the lever at least once before I throw the charge with powders such as Win 231, wsf, tite group.

With flake powders I will bump the handle 4 or 5 times to settle the powder into the powder chamber. If I don't do this with flake powders the charge will vary sometimes from 5 to 7 tenths of a grain and always 1 or 2 tenths.

I also have to look at the micrometer setting fairly often as it will move a bit with the bumping.

toallmy
01-16-2021, 04:12 PM
I love my little dandy when loading in blocks . But I use a lee pro auto disc the most on a progressive , but as mentioned above it doesn't like changing really small charges under 3 gr of the shotgun powders I use the most .

Recently I picked up a micro charge disk from Titan and am able to drop 2 gr of Red dot pretty reliably in my 380cases on a progressive .
So I'm tickled with it .

AndyC
01-16-2021, 05:54 PM
For the Lee, using the adjustable charge-bar, you can shim it with card etc:

https://i.imgur.com/C4aqjBk.jpg

metricmonkeywrench
01-16-2021, 07:13 PM
The Lyman 55 you have have will get you there. The instructions are still downloadable. It gives the basics of which slider when. I can get it dialed in faster than my Uniflows and it is just as consistant.

shooting on a shoestring
01-16-2021, 08:28 PM
The most important part of throwing small charges is using a baffle in the powder reservoir to keep the powder pressure on the measuring cavity consistent.

Your Lyman 55 with a baffle is about as good as you can get. A Harrell might be the only thing better.

stubshaft
01-16-2021, 09:09 PM
Lyman 55 or if you can find it, an old Bonanza pistol measure.

alfadan
01-16-2021, 10:24 PM
For almost all my pistol loading, I use lee scoops and a ceramic bowl. I use lee powder-through-expander dies with the powder funnel. I really cant see it being any faster after having to set up measure, though my lyman 55 does very well even with flake powders

dbosman
01-16-2021, 10:33 PM
RCBS Little Dandy for me. I use it for light or reduced loads for rifle as well. For .223 I calculated a charge that utilized two charges of one rotor. I was very careful to check those under a good light over the load block to make sure they were all filled to the same level.

EMC45
01-16-2021, 10:45 PM
My old Pacific is good. It weighs Bullseye super accurate. I also use a Lee PPM. It works pretty good, but does leak a bit. I normally use it for the larger flake type powders.

JeffG
01-16-2021, 11:33 PM
I have a couple Hornady measures that do fine metering down to 3 grains Bullsyeye. I also use several Lee Pro Autodisk with good results for similar powder. I use the Hornady measure to Unique to load 4.3 grains for 9mm. I’ve added a couple RCBS powder measures for pistol and they do fine too.

monadnock#5
01-17-2021, 02:12 AM
You say you have a Lyman 55, but do you also have the 2 drop tubes and adapters for mounting the measure in a press? It's what I use, and have never felt the need to improve upon it for small density pistol loads. Rifle loads maybe not so much.

Rich/WIS
01-17-2021, 11:35 AM
Forster-Bonanza I bought back in the late 70's. Fixed rotors and designed for either hand held or mounted operation. Picked up a few spares for my son and son-in-law with a selection of rotors for common charges of Bullseye. Nice feature is the base is heavy and it stands on it's own.

farmerjim
01-17-2021, 11:51 AM
The Lee ppm is probably the best in the world. However you will need to lap the drum to keep it from leaking ball powders. The lee auto drum is just a version of the ppm to use on progressives and turrets. It also needs lapping to keep ball powders from leaking. They are both solid +/- .1 grain after a 1 hopper break in. The break in coats the insides with graphite to kill static charges.

snowwolfe
01-17-2021, 12:19 PM
The Redding 10X is as good as they get. Sold my RCBS and bought a 10X and its bigger brother and am very happy with the decision.

charlie b
01-17-2021, 11:48 PM
For pistols I use the Lee auto disk on the press. I have a set of micro disks as well as the adjustable charge disk (which is handy for the 9mm loads). they work well with powders like AA #5 and #7. Flake powders don't measure well, but, are good enough for medium power loads in the .357 and .45acp.

Alferd Packer
01-18-2021, 01:37 PM
I have Lyman 55, 2 Rcbs duo measures, 2 Dillon's and a LEE auto disk with extra small disk and an adjustable cc sliding accessory measure.
I still use LEE measures have old and new cc scoop set plus many homemade scoops.
Anymore, I use an adjustable powder thrower for rifle 308, 30 06, 303, 3030, .223 etc .
For pistol, I usually custom make a scoop.
last few years have been catsneeze, mousefart loads.
Soft cast bullets.
From .223 to 45/70.
Just for fun.
it's all been fun!

Outpost75
01-18-2021, 02:16 PM
It's easy enough to make smaller volume Rotors to fit the RCBS Little Dandy. I had two made which were marked 000 and 0000 to meter 1 grain and 1.5 grains of Bullseye, and also a brass one for 38 grains of 3Fg Goex. Fellow who did mine hangs out here, but I won't put his name out, as I'm not sure that he wants it.

If anyone wants the business they can post an item in Swap & Sell and I'm sure they could sell a few.

Bmi48219
01-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Lyman 55 + baffle will do fine. I use all 3 slides for a straight measuring chamber. Takes some set up and judicious use of rapper but less than .1 grain variation consistently.

gunther
01-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Redding makes an accessory small micrometer measuring chamber for some of their newer measures. Look for them at Midway or Midsouth. A RCBS small rotor micrometer setup is my go to for pistol charges. Redding is very similar. If you are using Trail Boss, a large cavity rotor RCBS or Redding is the ticket.

AlanF
01-19-2021, 04:01 PM
Harrell's Schuetzen pistol measure is top-self equipment.

Jtarm
01-19-2021, 04:26 PM
My RCBS Uniflow has been going strong for 40+ years.

LeonardC
01-19-2021, 07:41 PM
Most of the time I have to say: "I wish I'd bought X when I could have."

This is one of the few times I can say: "Thank goodness I bought the Lyman Accumeasure and rotor set when it was available." I use mine all the time for handgun loads.

Baltimoreed
01-19-2021, 09:43 PM
I like the old 450 and 550 Dillon measures, also use the RCBS uniflow with a micrometer adjustment to develope loads. These work the best for me.

jetinteriorguy
01-21-2021, 07:27 AM
I use the Lee Pro Disc for most of my handgun loading. Once I’ve worked up a load, I find a cavity that throws a little short, then take a tapered reamer and slowly enlarge the cavity from the bottom until it throws the required charge. Then I mark this cavity and keep it with the turret for my Lee Classic Cast turret. This is such a simple reliable setup and it throws extremely accurate amounts.

Green Frog
01-21-2021, 11:23 AM
Missed this earlier somebody observed that they couldn’t get RCBS rotors with small enough chambers. I would suggest you look at the current RCBS offerings and you will find rotors #0 & 00. They throw small enough charges of Bullseye for my midrange target loads in 32 S&W L.

At one time, Pacific and/or Bair offered “blank” or undrilled rotors. A machinist with just a lathe and drill press could easily turn these out for any of the measures using fixed charge rotors. Of course you also have the option of filling and redrilling existing rotors if you have spares. I believe I’m repeating something from friend Outpost75 here, but it’s worth repeating and expanding on.

For completeness, don’t forget the adjustable Little Dandy rotors from Bailey Boat.

Froggie

Livin_cincy
01-23-2021, 02:50 PM
To understand fully, you are wanting to load pistol in small batches using loading blocks throwing each charge by hand ?

Alferd Packer
03-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Lee microdisk works real well in the auto disk powder measure.
Also you can make your own custom dippers. I have dippers I made more than 40 years ago from fired .22 short cases soldered to a piece of wire or to a finishing nail pounded flat for a handle to epoxy or solder to cartridge cases.
just pick a case size that most fits your load and fill the case with a weighed load of your choice.
Then mark on the case the fill height and dump out the powder saving that load.
Then just file or sand the case down to the marked height.
Deburr the dipper and Attach the handle.
Now to fine tune the dipper you dip a careful and level off the dipper with a business card or just give it a side wise shake to level.Then you dump this on the scale.Should be too heavy.
File or grind off just a touch and dip another load and level it.
Dump it on the scale.
Keep doing this and you will learn how to make accurate dippers for other loads in a short time. You will also learn how to level the dipper to dip and dump charges one after another.
My one grain Bullseye dipper is from a .22 short case soldered and filed so its tiny, but it measures everytime one grain right on the money.
No adjustment needed .
2 grains= 2 dips
3 grains = 3 dips
A weighed check shows exactly what I want.
One grain for 25 auto.
Never any adjustment.
I have a box full of dippers for other powders.
Well worth the time and effort.
If you get the LEE set of plastic dippers you can wad a small bit of compressed paper to jam in the bottom of the plastic dipper to modify them for a custom load
of your own choosing.
Even a bit of masking tape sticky side down will take up space in a dipper.
just use more tape.
Making a custom dipper from scratch and cutting it down is best.
Pick up .22 cases and .25 and .32 and .380 or 9mm cases at the range.
Aluminum cases with a paper clip straightened and wrapped around the rim indentation will hold the case as a handle.
You take it from there.

Dan Cash
03-28-2021, 10:14 PM
Your Lyman is the go to measure. 1.5 grain bulls eye every time but you have to run it right.

Boogieman
03-28-2021, 10:16 PM
the Lee pro auto autodisc with a double disc kit and a microdisc will work from small pistol to medium rifle. I use it for 32S&W to 30-30. Lee made a manually operated one called the saftydisc, I put a Pro update on one with an adjustable measure for working up loads. Lee stopped making them but they still turn up used.

toallmy
03-29-2021, 12:16 PM
the Lee pro auto autodisc with a double disc kit and a microdisc will work from small pistol to medium rifle. I use it for 32S&W to 30-30. Lee made a manually operated one called the saftydisc, I put a Pro update on one with an adjustable measure for working up loads. Lee stopped making them but they still turn up used.

Yep I agree but now lee needs to make a triple disk kit so I can load 3006 as well .

Polymath
03-29-2021, 03:24 PM
I had an issue with 32 ACP not throwing the proper charge of BE. Even with the smallest disc on my Lee Turret press. So I took a soda straw and cut it to length. (thickness of the disc) shoved it down the hole to make the hole smaller hence less powder and Bob's your uncle.

Texas by God
03-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Redding makes really good stuff.
I'd at least try it with the small metering chamber before I went out and bought something else.Exactly. I have sold off my Lyman 55s and RCBS measures because my Redding is all that I need.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Norske
03-30-2021, 10:03 AM
I bought a Colt National Match and the needed Lyman reloading equipment back in 1967 (I was the 3rd owner). I used that old orange 55 powder measure until last winter, then bought the new black one. I've found the new one works better without the baffle, judt keep the powder level somewhat consistent. Powder choice has an effect on consistency. The most consistent powder charges of any handgun powder has been with BE-86.

TimD
03-30-2021, 11:08 AM
I use an old RCBS Uniflow with a baffle. I tap twice at the top of the stroke and twice at the bottom of the stroke and get very consistent results, for my purposes, down to 1.5 grains. Consistent strokes and taps are key.

If you are looking to buy one I doubt you could do better than a Harrell's Precision Schuetzen Pistol Measure.

gnoahhh
04-01-2021, 04:53 PM
I've relied on a Belding&Mull for all my measuring needs for decades, with zero complaints. Charges as light as 2.2gr. B'eye (the lightest I do, for .32 S&W Long) come out flawlessly. I recently sprung for a Harrell's Schuetzen measure and have been kicking myself for not taking the plunge before now. What a joy it is to use, from light pistol charges up to rifle cast bullet powder charges.

Dale53
04-02-2021, 09:33 AM
I would like to emphasize the above comments that relate the IMPORTANCE of how the powder measure is operated has a LOT to do with how accurate it is with a wide range of weights of charges. Both a separate powder measure used to drop individual powder charges as well as a progressive press needs to be operated SMOOTHLY.

1- When using a separate powder measure, it is EXTREMELY important to operate it SMOOTHLY.
2- It is JUST as important to operate it the same identical way each time you throw a charge.
As an example, When using a particular charge, I often lightly tap twice on the up swing, and twice on the down swing. I take great pains to tap
exactly the same each time. Plus, I operate the measure SMOOTHLY. Do NOT bang it hard at any time, and do not change your technique
between charges.
3- When using a progressive press operate the handle smoothly and do NOT bang it at the top or bottom. Just operate it smoothly and exactly the
same stroke to stroke. I have a pair of Dillon 550 B's, and Lee Classic Turret press (with the Lee Pro disc measure). My Lee has all of the disks as
well as the adjustable slide for small charges.
4 - I am a believer in powder measure baffles.
5 - I have a small collection of powder measures and when Schuetzen shooting bought a new Harrel Schuetzen measure. Some work better than
others but frankly, proper operation of ANY of these measures will often be the difference in whether or not you get consistent powder drops.
6 - Last, but not least, it often pays to take time to actually practice your powder drop technique and weighing each charge to develop the best
method of using each and every powder measure you have (from a dipper to the latest and greatest measure that might be in your inventory).

FWIW
Dale53

onelight
04-02-2021, 09:52 AM
:goodpost:

MostlyLeverGuns
04-02-2021, 11:11 AM
I have a recent Lee DELUXE Perfect Powder Measure that gives the most accurate small charges I have found. Better than my RCBS Uniflow with small chamber. I think about the Redding for small charges. I have used the Lee Auto-Disc with an adjustable chamber and the 'Micro-Disc', both working well for me. I have an old Bonanza rotary disc, like the RCBS Lil Dandy, works OK but fixed charges. My MOST used measure is a Lee Perfect for charges over 10-15 grains, but the Lee DELUXE gets the 1.5 to 4 grain charges of HP38 and Tite-Group.

Nueces
04-02-2021, 11:20 AM
I tried a good many measures for small handgun charges before settling on a Redding 10X, which is designed for charges of 1 to 25 grains, and is micrometer adjustable (so, I can return to a previous setting easily). I also have B&M and Lymans, but have not used them for small charges.

When setting up the 10X, I set the micrometer, then throw and weigh 10 charges to verify the setting. The reproducibility is excellent.

murf205
04-04-2021, 06:05 PM
I have a Lyman 55 and a Uniflow with large and small rotors + baffel and the Uni works perfect for me. I load 32 Long's with some really small charges. Like Dale said, consistent operation is the key. The Redding's have a stellar reputation too.