PDA

View Full Version : Sorting and BHN testing my first batch

Wolfdog91
01-16-2021, 01:21 AM
Well sat down and weighted out 177 of the powder coated ones on my RCBS chargemaster light. Figured I'd sort them in .5grain lots before gas checking. Ended up with this

Seems like I'm dropping between 1.0gr-1.5gr on average which I guess for what I'm doing isn't the worst thing in the world . It might just be how I'm powder coating but after sorting 177 powder coated ones I wasn't feeling like doing another 150-200 regular ones lol whistle
Also did a bhn test because I was curious. With my Lee BHN tester my none power coatd bullet wa around 15BHN (this was poured then dropped in a pail of water) my powder coated ones how ever where around 20-21BHN (there's where poured water dropped dryer then baked with the powder coat at around 350-375 the water dropped again). According to the chart it should give me a working pressure of around 25,000 I'll n the top side. With the copper gas checks I'm thinking I'll be able to get a cool 2100fps without too many problems. Anyhow still clucking along with the video series I'll post this video sometime next week

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 01:49 AM
Cool.

I'd keep a batch of the sorted/weighed out ones separate for when I really wanted to see how good I really am, or try to impress the kids.

The rest, I'd tend to put in the bucket all together & load if its going to be practice ammo.
With my skills- The one grain or so difference in them would be too small for me to tell any difference.

Wolfdog91
01-16-2021, 09:19 PM
Think I'm going to just sort everything and see what shoots best and keep that lol ��