PDA

View Full Version : Burner setup for a "10lb" RCBS Lead pot. What to use?

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 12:06 AM
Hello! I've come into possession of an RCBS Cast Iron pot for casting lead, thanks to Idaho Mule. From what I've seen, The safer option of capacity is 8lbs on those pots.
Here's the Midway Listing for a better look: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010273570?pid=523105

I've ordered an RCBS lead dipper with a pour spout, so I'm 2/3 of the way there to being able to potentially cast for myself. The last third, is some method of heating the little pot safely which is compact and interior or exterior friendly. I believe that the best option would be a desktop Camp Stove that runs off of Propane that you would use for making breakfast when luxury camping. I'm not entirely sure many models would be able to properly support a pot so small and dense without danger of the little thing tipping, which would be a real nightmare to clean up and a safety hazard.

I'm hoping to get this burner from Amazon so I can save a good bit on shipping.

What do you use for melting smaller quantities of lead for casting in my sort of situation? I don't plan on expanding my casting capabilities beyond this little pot for some time since I'm not even sure my family will even let me cast in my own suburban household to begin with.

I'm not planning on doing any lead processing either since it's enough of a stretch on my folks' patience for me to be reloading in the first place. I'm thinking my best bet will be purchasing lead from other reloaders or Rotometals.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 12:47 AM
As light as that pot is, a camp stove should do fine.
Putting 30-40 pounds up on one can start to have 'issues'.

If it was me, I'd try to get one that runs on Coleman fuel/gasoline.
I think they get a little hotter, and I know they're cheaper to feed.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 12:50 AM
As light as that pot is, a camp stove should do fine.

If it was me, I'd try to get one that runs on Coleman fuel/gasoline.
I think they get a little hotter, and I know they're cheaper to feed.

I've got Propane on hand for grilling, so I might as well put that to use. Is Coleman fuel better for this sort of portable situation?

Would an electric burner be cheaper to use overall, if possible? I've got enough extension cords to get the job done if I take that pursuit. However, that method is not power failure friendly I suppose.

I also have a very compact hiking stove that I use for boiling water on the trail but I doubt that would be beefy enough to use in that sort of situation.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 01:02 AM
I've got Propane on hand for grilling, .

If ya got a propane one--- use it.
I don't know about electric stove/hot plates.
I never had one, and after a minor indiscretion,,,,
all my reloading activities have been permanently banned from the kitchen.:bigsmyl2:

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 01:55 AM
If ya got a propane one--- use it.
I don't know about electric stove/hot plates.
I never had one, and after a minor indiscretion,,,,
all my reloading activities have been permanently banned from the kitchen.:bigsmyl2:

I can see why. Not enough proper ventilation. That's why I'm thinking of a small scale setup that is portable and by its very nature as far away from food preparation as possible.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 02:01 AM
as far away from food preparation as possible.

I wish ya all the luck & success in the world.
It sounds like you have a better deal than I do.

Mrs. Winger's idea of as far from food preparation as possible is a minimum of: outside, around the corner, and in the detached garage.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 03:03 AM
I wish ya all the luck & success in the world.
It sounds like you have a better deal than I do.

Mrs. Winger's idea of as far from food preparation as possible is a minimum of: outside, around the corner, and in the detached garage.

Do you think something like this would do the job?
https://www.amazon.com/Boshen-Portable-Propane-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B07GJQRH3K/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Portable+propane+stove&qid=1610780449&sr=8-10

I think it would provide enough support for a little pot. Do you? What's your small scale setup?

Conditor22
01-16-2021, 03:10 AM
Looks like a good deal, it should handle 50# (50 pounds)

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 03:49 AM
Looks like a good deal, it should handle 50#

What exactly is #50? I'm a little worried about corrosion since that's made of cast iron, but I suppose we'll see.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 03:56 AM
# is a symbol for pounds of weight.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 04:04 AM
# is a symbol for pounds of weight.

Whoops! Didn't think of it that way. I'd like to know if anyone has had good setups with a burner like that. What did they make it out of? where did they put it? that sort of thing.

ACC
01-16-2021, 04:09 AM
OR you could go to your nearest Walmart and get a cheap turkey fryer like I did yesterday for $20.

ACC

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 04:14 AM
I'd like to know if anyone has had good setups with a burner like that.

There's several around here that have found them on the cheap at thrift stores, and are proud to have 'em.
Until you get real serious about melting Lead--- you won't outgrow one.

Mr_Sheesh
01-16-2021, 04:24 AM
Used a Coleman 2 burner white gas camping stove for years with a 20# bottom pour pot, outside on the driveway, very carefully; Bent the (red hot) bars very minorly - not enough to need repair or anything. Till I upgraded to the Pro Melt. That cast iron stove looks good though, used very similar stoves in the Search and Rescue group I was in and they are STRONG, just don't run 'em over or use them as a trampoline :P Should do you nicely. Keep the leg attachment screws tight and so on.

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2021, 10:19 AM
The OP is using a little 10 lb. cast iron pot, so a turkey fryer or some other large burner would likely be too big.

Here's a setup with a very cheap Coleman single burner stove from Wally World that I got years ago on sale.

That dual fuel stove will burn unleaded gasoline just fine (that's all that's ever been in it) and it makes enough heat. That little 10 pound pot fits nicely but you have to be careful with the weight because the pot supports are just sheet metal. They will weaken with high temps, so don't get crazy with the weight.

That small propane burner the OP linked will also work but it looks like he would need a hose & regulator to go with it.

MostlyLeverGuns
01-16-2021, 10:36 AM
Like petrol & powder, I used a Coleman Single Burner with a 10lb Lyman pot to cast in my dorm room (long time ago). Also used in home basement and other places. Open door or windows advised. Most other set-ups using propane require a regulator and propane bottle along with the burner.

onelight
01-16-2021, 10:40 AM
I cast round balls with a 10lb pot on a Coleman 2 burner white gas stove for a while and it got the job done .

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2021, 10:44 AM
The liquid fuel stoves have a bit more learning curve than propane but they work fine.
The ubiquitous Coleman "suitcase" stoves can be found in used but working condition for little money. The single burner stoves will also work

CastingFool
01-16-2021, 11:38 AM
I got a Coleman dual burner propane stove off craigslist for $5. The idea was that propane is much cheaper than Coleman fuel. I also have a single burner Coleman, but I think it would not be as stable, due to the height.

hc18flyer
01-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Do you think something like this would do the job?
https://www.amazon.com/Boshen-Portable-Propane-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B07GJQRH3K/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Portable+propane+stove&qid=1610780449&sr=8-10

I think it would provide enough support for a little pot. Do you? What's your small scale setup?

I think that is perfect! Make a simple 'wind screen's and a ring or cone to keep the heat next to your pot. hc18flyer

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 02:08 PM
Like petrol & powder, I used a Coleman Single Burner with a 10lb Lyman pot to cast in my dorm room (long time ago). Also used in home basement and other places. Open door or windows advised. Most other set-ups using propane require a regulator and propane bottle along with the burner.

Woah! Your Dorm Room!? That's a place I'd never expect anyone to cast! Not these days, at least with knowledge of acute lead exposure being well known.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 02:16 PM
The liquid fuel stoves have a bit more learning curve than propane but they work fine.
The ubiquitous Coleman "suitcase" stoves can be found in used but working condition for little money. The single burner stoves will also work

So, those popular Coleman tabletop Burners will work for our purposes. I just hope that Coleman Fuel is not being panic bought out of existence like primers and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020943NP-Classic-Propane-Stove/dp/B00005OU9D/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+propane+stove+1+burner&qid=1610821811&sr=8-3

This looks like a darn good deal, but the lack of support for something that small and heavy is a little worrying.

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 02:52 PM
Woah! Your Dorm Room!? That's a place I'd never expect anyone to cast!

Sometimes ya do what ya gotta do.

I had Duty NCO in the barracks one night--- that's sort of like a college dorm, but without the inside walls & doors.

About midnight, I heard a loud, "BANG"!!!!
I went to check it out, and found one of the troopers sitting on the floor next to a flat of primers, a can of powder, some shell cases,
a LEE 'whack a mole' re-loader tool in one hand, a hammer in the other, and a real surprised look on his face.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 03:16 PM
Sometimes ya do what ya gotta do.

I had Duty NCO in the barracks one night--- that's sort of like a college dorm, but without the inside walls & doors.

About midnight, I heard a loud, "BANG"!!!!
I went to check it out, and found one of the troopers sitting on the floor next to a flat of primers, a can of powder, some shell cases,
a LEE 'whack a mole' re-loader tool in one hand, a hammer in the other, and a real surprised look on his face.

I have far too much value on my personal space and personal privacy for military life. Learned that the hard way with a set of very bad roommates that had very little regard for my personal space and we were just not compatible with living together.

Well anyway, with that cast iron burner, I'm a little worried that there might not be enough space for putting the pot into a stable spot on the center.
The burner is about 9.5 by 9.5 inches. Would that be enough to put the pot down in a stable position?

Winger Ed.
01-16-2021, 03:33 PM
Would that be enough to put the pot down in a stable position?

It'll be fine. Try not to over think this stuff.

The worst ya would have to do is put a $3. thrift store cast iron frying pan on top and set your pot in it.

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2021, 03:38 PM
At only 9.5" square, I suspect the opening in the center of the grate will be small enough that the RCBS pot will not fall through (the base of that pot is roughly 3 3/4" in diameter.
But, even if the opening in the center of the grate is too large for that pot, it would be a simple matter to place something over the grate to support that little pot.
I wouldn't overthink that too much. Even if there is a problem, it would be easy to overcome.

If you go the route of that little propane burner, don't forget to obtain a hose and regulator. That burner doesn't appear to come with the necessary plumbing to attach it to a propane tank.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 03:45 PM
It'll be fine. Try not to over think this stuff.

The worst ya would have to do is put a $3. thrift store cast iron frying pan on top and set your pot in it.

That's a smart move. As long as it's only a little larger than the pot itself, so that not too much heat is lost due to heat transfer.

VariableRecall
01-16-2021, 03:48 PM
At only 9.5" square, I suspect the opening in the center of the grate will be small enough that the RCBS pot will not fall through (the base of that pot is roughly 3 3/4" in diameter.
But, even if the opening in the center of the grate is too large for that pot, it would be a simple matter to place something over the grate to support that little pot.
I wouldn't overthink that too much. Even if there is a problem, it would be easy to overcome.

If you go the route of that little propane burner, don't forget to obtain a hose and regulator. That burner doesn't appear to come with the necessary plumbing to attach it to a propane tank.

I'm just going through the motions and getting as many solid burner ideas as possible before I make a decision, that's all.

Mk42gunner
01-16-2021, 04:00 PM
I melted a lot of lead with a two burner Coleman stove (both white gas and with a propane conversion) and a one pint cast iron sauce pan, before I upgraded to an electric casting pot. I think the burner you showed will work fine.

I still have and use the RCBS ladle, and the sauce pan got repurposed into my ingot filling dipper when I smelt the wild wheel weight into useable ingots.

Be aware that there will be a lot of radiant heat from your cast iron pot, gloves are definitely recommended.

As far as casting comfort goes, I think getting an electric pot was the best thing I have done.

Robert

lightman
01-16-2021, 07:43 PM
We started casting with a 10# Lyman pot and a Coleman camp stove. It had plenty of heat and was plenty strong enough. I don't know if an electric hot plate would get hot enough.

metricmonkeywrench
01-16-2021, 07:52 PM
Following on the Boshin… want to see a report if purchased/used

country gent
01-16-2021, 08:30 PM
If your worried about the weight. make a simple box on legs the pot sits in thru the top just above the grate. IE if the pot is 5" from bottom of lip to bottom of pot make the box so the pot 5 1/4" tall and add legs to top of burner this way the box supports the weight. It will also act as a wind screen holding heat in. light 1/8 x 1 x 1 angle iron fore the frame and light sheet metal enclosing it from top of burner up. Or find a stainless steel pot the the dia you need cut to height and drill 1/4 hikes thru for 1/4" round stock and cut a hole in what was the bottom of the pot to set the lead pot thru.Set up on blocks or bolt feet / legs inside pot to raise bottom up to top of burner. With a hand drill and saw you can cut the legs on the pot even. You need it up to maintain air to the burner.

Jim22
01-18-2021, 01:13 PM
That burner and pot look a lot like what I started with. Finally broke down and got a Lee bottom pour electric.

VariableRecall
01-18-2021, 06:34 PM
That burner and pot look a lot like what I started with. Finally broke down and got a Lee bottom pour electric.

From my perspective, I'd rather have an acceptable alternative for bullet casting if the power was out. Considering Lee's prices on both their bottom pour and Melter furnaces are very competitive, Might as well have the option for both electric and propane powered solutions.

pottergreg
01-19-2021, 02:48 AM
I bought a single propane burner on Ebay for $20, had to buy a hose and regulator on Ebay for $12 bucks, Hooks up to my grill 20# propane tank, it will melt 20 pounds of lead in minutes

LabGuy
01-28-2021, 10:29 AM
I used the Lyman equivalent when s tarting out. Used on old kitchen stove electric burner. Upgraded to a Lyman Mag 20 in the late 1980s.