PDA

View Full Version : Need Info How To Adjust the Paper Clip Thingy

alamogunr
01-15-2021, 07:36 PM
at the priming station. I'm loading 9mm and having an occasional hiccup where the spent primer is not punched out. I usually feel when this happens but need to correct.

How should the [B]Cartridge Spring[B] be adjusted? I had to go to the shop to get the manual for the correct nomenclature.

I'm getting the occasional failure to pop the spent primer and the only thing I can think of is the casing is not in correct position. The manual has not been much help. Hopefully, someone will know what to do.

VariableRecall
01-15-2021, 07:40 PM
I don't know what kind of equipment you are using, but when I'm de-priming with my Lee Die set, I make sure to tighten the deprimer thingy since a lot of force gets put on it. If it ever stops depriming the way it should, just loosen it again and re-tighten it. At least, that's how it works with my Lee set.

alamogunr
01-15-2021, 07:42 PM
I'm sorry! I'm using a Dillon 550B

Evoken
01-15-2021, 07:49 PM
Don't know if it's right or wrong, but I adjust the paper clip to just touch the inside of the rim. On 9mm and small cases it drags on the shellplate a little.

joe leadslinger
01-15-2021, 08:23 PM
The "paper clip" should be adjusted to hold the case in the shell plate with little tension, also the die might need to be adjusted. IMO

jmorris
01-15-2021, 09:00 PM
The manual says “almost touching”, I find about .010” works great. That’s about the thickness of a business card.

Burnt Fingers
01-15-2021, 09:44 PM
at the priming station. I'm loading 9mm and having an occasional hiccup where the spent primer is not punched out. I usually feel when this happens but need to correct.

How should the [B]Cartridge Spring[B] be adjusted? I had to go to the shop to get the manual for the correct nomenclature.

I'm getting the occasional failure to pop the spent primer and the only thing I can think of is the casing is not in correct position. The manual has not been much help. Hopefully, someone will know what to do.

While you had the manual you could have looked through it for the answer.

That part has nothing to do with primer drawback either.

I'm guessing you're loading 9mm????

The Dillon dies with the spring loaded decapping pin pretty much eliminates this problem.

country gent
01-15-2021, 10:43 PM
I have had this issue with several die sets. The dillion spring loaded decap stem is to give it a "snap" when it pushes thru jarring the spent primer off the pin maybe a little more snap adjusted into the stem. On dies with out the spring load I stone the decapping pins end to a radius so the anvil cant get a grip on it. What may be happening is the anvil gtips the pin on a few and pulls back into the pocket enough to hold it and stop the press from functioning. A light radius on the pin helps a lot.

jmorris
01-16-2021, 09:48 AM
A light radius on the pin helps a lot

Or an angle on the tip. The primer has to be square with the pocket to pull back into the pocket, if it’s not it will get knocked off the tip of decaping pin instead.

ioon44
01-16-2021, 09:55 AM
I deprime all my brass and wet tumble, this keeps the primer station clean and no chance of primer drawback.

alamogunr
01-16-2021, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the assistance. I removed the First Station(size) die and disassembled it according to the manual. It was a little grungy. I put a very slight radius on the pin. While doing this I noticed that the pin was slightly bent. Almost unnoticeable. Since I didn't have a spare pin, I just reassembled the die and put it back in the tool head. I finished loading an even number for the day and had no primer problems. I'll call Dillon Monday and either get a new decapping pin or have them tell me if that is a problem. I noticed on the website that a pack of 10 pins is available. Apparently that is a consumable item.

I noticed too that the retaining cap was Loctited(not sure that is a word) to the decapping shaft. I found an old bottle of low strength Loctite and used that until I can get the blue Loctite that is specified. I'm sure they don't specify Loctite for no reason.

David2011
01-17-2021, 02:21 AM
Or an angle on the tip. The primer has to be square with the pocket to pull back into the pocket, if it’s not it will get knocked off the tip of decaping pin instead.

Best answer. Been doing this for 20 years or so because primers were being pulled back up into the pockets just enough to get them stuck.