PDA

View Full Version : 480 Alaskan cylinder touching forcing cone

Rug480
01-14-2021, 02:46 PM
Hey Guys,

So I picked up this 2020 mfg Alaskan, owner said he won it in a raffle, bnib, hasn't shot it so I figure the carbon is from the test fire at the factory or maybe he he did pop a few but either way I wanted to ask if others noticed their cylinders doing the same.

The cylinder will touch the forcing cone when closing. Now I noticed their is some displaced metal on the forcing cone already, I received her in that condition.

Other small imperfections aside I was scratching my head on the forcing cone. There is a little lateral play in cylinder so I can pull it back enough to close and not touch the forcing cone. I bet there's a cylinder shim out there to fix this. Will have to see how she shoots if I can find some flippin' ammo or get some reloading done. At least the BC gap is nice and tight :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thumbcocker
01-14-2021, 03:09 PM
I would send it back to the mother ship.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

stubshaft
01-14-2021, 05:59 PM
Send it back.

littlejack
01-15-2021, 12:13 PM
Plus 1 on #2 & #3.

kerplode
01-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Yeah, send it back and they'll take care of it.

I like Ruger stuff, but their QC is a little shoddy. I've had several over the years that needed to be sent back to fix something that should have never made it out of the factory.

Rug480
01-18-2021, 02:24 PM
Yep called Ruger and it’ll go back to the mothership. If I drag the cylinder the hammer locks up before the cylinder latch on 4 of the 6 notches too so might as well and see what they will do. I need to get some reloading done to feed her in the meantime anyway.

LeonardC
01-18-2021, 06:03 PM
I noticed those shinny bullets in your pics. :) Mine likes home cast RCBS 400 for plinking and CPBS 410 WFNGC for serious carry. Some day I'll get the trigger on mine worked on.

Iron Whittler
01-18-2021, 11:39 PM
When you get it back from the factory, you might consider slugging your barrel. Then send cylinder to DoughGuy and let him work his magic. The results are usually a considerable improvement in function and accuracy. Done a 500 S&W mag for me. Well worth the cost. :Fire:

Rug480
02-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Well I just got her back today, Ruger tech replaced the pawl, trigger plunger, hammer pivot pin, adjusted barrel gap, end shake, and timing. Now I'd just like to recommend they wrap up their guns a little better like I did (I want my towel back Ruger :p) because the the blade on the rear sight managed to break, I assume on her way back.. but Ruger is going to send me another one.

Thumbcocker
02-01-2021, 03:19 PM
Love me some bubble wrap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

root
02-01-2021, 04:00 PM
WOW

They fixed it and broke it all in one trip!

Ya packing is probably a bit cheaper then a new rear sight even if you are the company that makes the sight .... LOL

onelight
02-01-2021, 05:29 PM
That is a freak deal hard to believe the blade could be broken and no other damage . I don't think I could do that if I tried .

megasupermagnum
02-01-2021, 06:20 PM
Odd. I always sent mine in plastic gun case. The only one I couldn't was a Ruger old army that was bigger than any case I had. I sent it in bubble wrapped, and ruger sent it back in one of the new plastic boxes for their blackhawk.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-01-2021, 09:06 PM
Glad you got it back in working order. My SP101 was a sad case. I took it on as a project. Cylinder shims fixed the endshake/forcing cone interference but opened the flash gap up quite a bit. Had Doug fix the 356 throats, I fire lapped the barrel a bit and polished the crown. Shoots well now and doesn't foul anymore so I'll probably live with the large gap...

Lefty SRH
02-03-2021, 08:20 PM
When you get it back from the factory, you might consider slugging your barrel. Then send cylinder to DoughGuy and let him work his magic. The results are usually a considerable improvement in function and accuracy. Done a 500 S&W mag for me. Well worth the cost. :Fire:

What magic are you referring to, to be worked on the cylinder?