PDA

View Full Version : My grandfather's 22 Lovell R-2 reloading gear, c.1946

cheggie
01-13-2021, 10:58 PM
This is my grandfather's 22 Lovell R-2 loading setup. This stuff came with a Winchester 1885 Hiwall and 10x Fecker scope he bought after getting out of the Navy after WWII. I am lucky to have the gun, scope, gear, and a some of the 25-20 single shot cases made into 22 Lovell R-2. I have not fired the gun much because it weighs a ton, and is only feasible to shoot from a bench or a rest of some sort. In the picture are the letters written between grandpa and the previous owner, and he included a lot of instructions about using the hand (powered) loading tools. Grandpa passed in 1989, and I ended up with the gun and trappings after my grandmother passed in 2005. Neat story - I wondered how grandpa bought a gun for sale many states away. He was in Illinois, and the last owner was from Oklahoma. He was a lifetime member of the NRA, and I realized he probably got American Rifleman every month, like I do now. I found the ad for this gun and equipment in the March 1946 copy of American Rifleman. It was not easy because there were a lot of Lovell Hiwalls for sale, but I knew the last owners name from the letters!

The powder measure and scale are still set to 15.5 grains, as this was the only cartridge he hand loaded. I shot the gun with his loaded ammo from goodness knows how long ago. Must have been more than 60 years old! I still have a batch of primed brass that have domed primers, and that was how the fully loaded stuff was too. Still went bang after all this time.

Nueces
01-13-2021, 11:25 PM
That, Sir, is a cool story. Good work on locating the AR ad, too.

Pressman
01-14-2021, 08:53 AM
Cheggie, I wish you were closer to Minnesota. I would really love to sit down with you and get all the story, and get photos of those tools and how they work for an article.

Ken

Krag1902
01-14-2021, 10:05 AM
Neat story! Thanks for sharing

Green Frog
01-14-2021, 10:18 AM
Having a cool rifle, with the full reloading outfit, and knowing not only that it came from your grandfather but also where and how he got it... priceless! I know you will treasure and enjoy this complete package. I’ll extend my usual advice to record everything you can find about it and its history in the family (and before.) Your descendants will bless you for it and it will be much more likely to retain its rightful position of honor in your family.

Regards,
Froggie

TKG
01-25-2021, 04:22 PM
Hi Cheggie, I also have a set of scales by Pacific like yours. Very neat scales. A word of caution about a box on your desk. Those Rum Cured Crooks will make you light headed! Take care.TKG