PDA

View Full Version : Silver Rifle Scopes?

USMC87
01-13-2021, 08:48 PM
I am in need of a silver rifle scope that will not break the bank, Preferably $300.00 or less. Do you guys have any recommendations?

tazman
01-13-2021, 09:47 PM
What is the intended purpose?
Hunting, target shooting, varmints?

USMC87
01-13-2021, 11:04 PM
I will be using the scope for whitetail deer.

c0wb0y84
01-14-2021, 01:45 AM
Good luck finding one. I gave up my search for a silver scope. The only ones that I came across that looked to be of decent quality are long eye relief pistol scopes or a lot more than I wanted to spend for one. It sure would be nice if leupold did a current production one in just a basic 3-9x40 in the $300 range.

SweetMk
01-14-2021, 01:58 AM
Whenever I want to look at a unique scope for sale I look up ifcrock on eBay

I just looked, he has a number of the silver
Search eBay for "leupold rifle scope silver", then sort highest price first, several of the listings will be his,,,

USMC87
01-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Thank you for the help.

c0wb0y84
01-14-2021, 01:40 PM
Everything I’ve found on eBay usually goes for about twice what I’m interested in paying. Maybe I’m just too cheap but $600 for a 3-9 just to get it the color I want is a bit much when the same thing in matte finish is in the $200-300 range.

gwpercle
01-14-2021, 06:28 PM
I have both the silver and black Tasco ProPoint-2 , tube type , red dot sights and was disappointed in the silver... looks like a cheap paint job ... the black one looks much better even when installed on a stainless steel gun .
I thought the tube was going to be stainless steel ... it isn't ...just painted.
My advice ...go black for scopes and tube type red dot sights ... they just look better !
Gary

USMC87
01-14-2021, 08:01 PM
I appreciate the advice and comments.

RU shooter
01-15-2021, 12:17 AM
There's always a can a silver paint close by if you just gotta have matching colors , just sayin .

Bmi48219
01-15-2021, 12:27 AM
Not to hijack the thread but try finding a new gloss blue/black scope. I know it isn’t perfect for reflecting light & spooking game but I have a late 60’s / early 70’s Sako with the deepest blue finish I’ve ever seen. It has a period German scope 3 x 9 w/ fine cross Hair reticle and finger adjustments for W & E. Problem is even with the tallest Sako dovetail mounts the front objective bell is a almost paper thickness above the barrel.

Btw I looked the brand up in a 1969 G&A annual. Listed for $330.00 back the.

farmbif
01-15-2021, 10:48 AM
burris signature scopes used to be available in silver color

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-15-2021, 02:16 PM
I had a Nikon Silver (more like Satin Nickel) Pistol scope on a customized S&W Mod 629, the satin nickel matched the 629 real well. That Nikon was a real nice piece of glass, very clear. Of all the Silver colored scopes I've seen, I prefer that Satin Nickel, especially if it's going on a Brushed SS gun. I also had a Silver Burris scope on a Ruger all-weather 77/22...but the Scope was a different shade of silver then the rifle barrel, I thought it looked awful, so I swapped it out with a Black Leupold and the contrast looked much better than the off-tone silver combo.
That's my 2¢

BTW, There is a Nikon rifle scope on Fleabay with same Satin Nickel finish, current bid is about $100, just search "Nikon Prostaff Silver Nikoplex".

USMC87
01-15-2021, 08:40 PM
I appreciate the help guys.

1hole
01-16-2021, 02:55 PM
Many of us are trend followers; the "latest" must be the greatest you know! ???

When I and the world were young, almost anyone with a "hi-power rifle" had an iron sighted 94 Win or 336 Marlin in .30-30. They killed railroad car loads of big game and there was no crying about how puny it was. But, time moves on and the old rigs - and cartridges - often get abandoned.

We jumped on stainless steel firearms about thirty years ago; now they are uncommon. Scope makers quickly followed with uncolored alum tube scopes (silver) and they sold like crazy for several years. Then someone developed a way to camo-coat both stocks and metal; both camo guns and scopes sold like crazy for awhile but are uncommon today. We are now in a black military rifle and plastic frame handgun age.

I wonder what the next effective, "Follow me!" craze will be. ???

USMC87
01-16-2021, 07:49 PM
I agree with you.

c0wb0y84
01-16-2021, 08:19 PM
I guess that makes me a bandwagon guy... Just 20-40 years behind the trend.

murf205
01-23-2021, 09:12 AM
USMC87, if you can find a Burris Fullfield II, they make one of the best under $300 scopes out there and these usually go for just a touch less than $200. I'm not sure if they make a silver one but the blued ones I have used are pretty bright and hold zero REALLY well. That is my #1 requirement for a scope.

dverna
01-23-2021, 12:41 PM
Many of us are trend followers; the "latest" must be the greatest you know! ???

When I and the world were young, almost anyone with a "hi-power rifle" had an iron sighted 94 Win or 336 Marlin in .30-30. They killed railroad car loads of big game and there was no crying about how puny it was. But, time moves on and the old rigs - and cartridges - often get abandoned.

We jumped on stainless steel firearms about thirty years ago; now they are uncommon. Scope makers quickly followed with uncolored alum tube scopes (silver) and they sold like crazy for several years. Then someone developed a way to camo-coat both stocks and metal; both camo guns and scopes sold like crazy for awhile but are uncommon today. We are now in a black military rifle and plastic frame handgun age.

I wonder what the next effective, "Follow me!" craze will be. ???

A lot of truth there...but not the whole story.

The fools follow the fads, and the smart guys accept technology improvements that make a difference.

For the average shooter they are just plain ignorant and lazy. Easy to buy whatever the gun rags say is "new and improved". I have a buddy like that. Wanted a 6.5 CreedLess when he already had a .270...just silly for a guy who shoots less than a box a year.

USMC87
01-24-2021, 09:36 PM
I have never used or looked through a Burris scope but I will check them out.

Cap'n Morgan
01-30-2021, 03:59 PM
I have a Sightron Big Sky 4-16 in silver (got it for a stainless SAKO 75) It's no longer in production, but maybe you can find one used. I will rate Sightron scopes up there with Leupold, if not higher.

Shawlerbrook
01-30-2021, 04:13 PM
It seems that silver and gloss black scopes are not very common anymore. Luckily I care more about how a scope looks looking through it rather than looking at it.