PDA

View Full Version : Czech firearms company in negotiations to buy Colt, an American legend and Conn

trapper9260
01-13-2021, 12:16 PM
If this dose not belong here please move it thank you

https://tribunecontentagency.com/tns_articles/czech-firearms-company-in-negotiations-to-buy-colt-an-american-legend-and-connecticut-fixture-for-nearly-175-years/#:~:text=Cesk%C3%A1%20zbrojovka%20Group%20SE%2C%20 or,is%20not%20certain%2C%20it%20said.

zarrinvz24
01-13-2021, 01:33 PM
In some sense I think that will be a good thing. CZ understands how to build a quality product and also the firearms industry. Sad to see an American icon owned by foreign interests but it won't be the first time we've watched this happen. Hopefully this means Colt will return to some semblance of profitability, which means Colt will continue to exist.

Pressman
01-14-2021, 09:08 AM
This might be a good thing as it gets them out of Connecticut (hoping any way) and maybe out of the Union control.
Colt can be a great company again, if they can move to a location or State with better operating conditions.

Petrol & Powder
01-14-2021, 09:10 AM
The Czechs have a long and well deserved reputation of making excellent firearms. In fact, they are pretty good at a lot of mechanical engineering and manufacturing.

The problems would be Colt's location in a labor union state and Colt's crushing debt.

They may just want the plant to use it as a final assembly point to circumvent tariffs. If you manufacture a certain amount of the gun in the U.S.A., it is no longer an import. Or they may want the Colt name but not the current Colt products. Too early to say.

Burnt Fingers
01-14-2021, 10:31 AM
Dan Wesson 1911 pistols are made in the US and not from imported parts. I would expect the same for Colt.

I would guess they are moving out of CT and to a more friendly state, both gun wise and tax wise.

Shepherd2
01-14-2021, 10:43 AM
Didn't CZ buy some land and begin building a manufacturing facility in the US a year or so ago? Might be Arkansas.

Shawlerbrook
01-14-2021, 10:48 AM
CZ does make quality firearms and was smart enough to move out of Norwich, NY. Sad to see such American icons as Colt and Winchester to be foreign owned, but it is probably better than what happened to Marlin, NEF/H&R and Remington. After all, the Miroku Winchester’s are pretty well made guns( especially compared to Remlins).

gbrown
01-14-2021, 11:15 AM
Tell them to buy and move to central Texas, Giddings, Fayetteville, Fayette County area. Heart of the Czech country of Texas. Gun friendly, business friendly State. LOL.

Randy Bohannon
01-14-2021, 11:18 AM
CZ has two American plants, one in ST Louis rimfire rifles mostly with Dan Wesson, the other the Alabama plant not sure what they are or are going to make. The deal with Dan Wesson has been a good one, my DW CCO is heads above a comparable Colt and much better quality control from the old days.CZ has allowed DW to design their own guns CZ provides DW employees to be managed by CZ,solid management has meant good things for DW. I have confidence a gun company can run a gun company better than an Investment Group, SEE: Remington and Marlin.

LUBEDUDE
01-14-2021, 12:16 PM
This might be a good thing as it gets them out of Connecticut (hoping any way) and maybe out of the Union control.
Colt can be a great company again, if they can move to a location or State with better operating conditions.

Agree totally! Until Colt gets rid of that Union they will always be overpriced for what you get.

lightman
01-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Didn't CZ buy some land and begin building a manufacturing facility in the US a year or so ago? Might be Arkansas.

CZ is suppose to be building a plant in Little Rock, Arkansas. Hopefully they will move the Colt production here too! Thats about 30 miles from me.

Sig is suppose to be building a plant there also.

zarrinvz24
01-14-2021, 01:22 PM
CZ is suppose to be building a plant in Little Rock, Arkansas. Hopefully they will move the Colt production here too! Thats about 30 miles from me.

Sig is suppose to be building a plant there also.

I think the Walther’s are already made there as well.

higgins
01-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Remington 541S and T model .22s are now selling online for around $700-800. Every time I shoot my CZ452 I wonder why Remington or Winchester couldn't have built a comparable rifle that sold for a reasonable price. CZ has apparently sold many thousands of quality .22 rifles, so it's not a niche or boutique market.

rockrat
01-15-2021, 10:14 PM
HEY!!!! My Harley is doing just fine!!!! 12 years old and runs just fine. Set of tires and now a new drive belt are the only things its needed!!

I think a CZ Colt would be a fine weapon as long as they move out of the Northeast

rbuck351
01-16-2021, 12:26 PM
Love to see CZ buy Colt and build a plant in MT but I don't see a move to MT happening. What ever it takes to keep companies from going overseas and keep our people working.

However,you can have your Harleys. I'm just getting my 1993 BMW broke in at 93,000 miles. I put a clutch cable on it last year but it should be good for another 200,000 before major work.

Minerat
01-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Keep the discussion on topic not motorcycles please.

white eagle
01-16-2021, 12:59 PM

there is a lot of truth in that
it might even be a better time since the strongest anti second amendment candidate just got elected
and if it weren't bad enough to have him his vice is worse
hold on to you hats

jonp
01-17-2021, 07:29 AM
Not sure how this ended up with motorcycles but since Colt is a defense contractor wouldn't the Government have to ok the deal?

nicholst55
01-20-2021, 10:11 PM
Not sure how this ended up with motorcycles but since Colt is a defense contractor wouldn't the Government have to ok the deal?

My understanding is that Colt Defense LLC is a totally separate corporate entity from their sporting arms manufacturing. This is far from a done deal, anyway.

farmbif
01-20-2021, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing they know something we don't.
I know I'm well aware with the new leftist control of govt our 2nd amendment rights are in jeopardy. but here's a gun company planning on putting money down to buy a handgun company are worldwide sales bigger somewhere other than in us?

Huskerguy
01-20-2021, 10:40 PM
The first question I have is what happened to the once great US companies? Colt being one of them, Remington another who recently went up for sale. The common excuse I hear whenever these events happen is the management, bean counters, top heavy, etc. I have seen many companies go away over the years and that is never the underlying issue. Costs usual spiral out of control usually due to unions who think the company can keep raising prices to bring in more revenues. The companies often feel the pressure to find ways to produce items less expensively (i.e cheaper) and quality suffers and the next thing you know, no new products are coming on board and the ones that are in the pipe line are not of the highest quality. A recipe for disaster.

CZ is a great company having come from a military supplier to a worldwide respected firearms dealer. I am now down to three 9mm's and they are all CZ's. If that same quality is carried over to Colt, the name should continue on, even though the owners are not domiciled in this country.